Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-04-2011, 12:14 PM

3,283 posts, read 5,207,534 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoobleKar View Post
I don't blame you, but those union teachers for not providing you with a adequate grasp of history and the significance of the wars fought post-WWII.

It's a good thing the King of France didn't think that way during the Revolutionary War.

That makes about as much sense as Obama saying there were 57 States.

I'm here arguing for helping people who are outgunned and unable to help themselves....much like the little old lady.

So I give you an "EPIC FAIL" on your lame attempt at an analogy.

private schooling in 3 different countries. when presented with three types of different propaganda, one becomes adept at recognizing it.

talk about the revolutionary war without recognizing that we have become what we hate. we are the new king george on the block.

they will have their country within a week or two, with or without our help. if their neighbors, who'll be getting the brunt of the refugees, want to help, so be it. it's none of our business.

EPIC. learn a new word? borrowing your great grandsons vocabulary or maybe you're just a pimply teen parading as a hard core veteran?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-04-2011, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Excuse me if I don't take you seriously at all.

People who get their information from places like the Democratic Underground, Daily Kos, and Common Dreams really haven't got anything even approaching rational though.

from a person who gets all his news from fox, that ain't saying much. btw, how do you feel after bill o'reilly practically gave the presidentg head in his last interview and how do you feel that your neocon icon has practically come out as a union sympathizer?

Old 03-04-2011, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roysoldboy View Post
You just failed in many ways. Some of those wars you howl about belonged to Democrats and were nothing of the kind you describe them as and lump them with others as being. Our Korean war entry was caused by the fact that Harry Truman had promised the Southeast Asian people that if they were threatened by Communists that we would help them. I graduated from high school about 10 days before he declared that our Army would be going in spite of the fact that it would take at least 2 weeks for the UN to decide what to do. I don't think that Truman ever gave any thought to what we would call that one since a part of the Truman Doctrine called for action to keep our nation ahead of the Communists. I don't remember him calling it a police action, as the UN did, but I do think that South Korea is one of the most successful capitalist nations in the world.

Vietnam was much the same in that Eisenhower had promised much the same thing Truman did. It was Eisenhower, under a Democrat Congress that sent the first troops there in 1954 and then it was Democrat Presidents and Congresses that allowed it to become something other than protecting the South. In both those wars politicians kept our troops from winning by not allowing them to fight beyond the lines established by the UN. Both could have been won with little trouble but fear of China seemed to cause the Congress to back off.

I have always thought that the Kosovo thing was just what Clinton thought would be one of those nice little wars that would lead to few casualties to American forces and would be a feather in his cap.

I believe that those who enlisted to serve are the real heroes although in Korea and Vietnam most of those who served either were drafted or enlisted to avoid the draft. It makes no difference, many of those who were drafted didn't want to take part, either, but did because they belonged to the US and wanted to do their duty. Yep, there were plenty of those people who were conscientious objectors who managed to avoid it but some of them went ahead and served.

BTW, what was the reason that we declared war on Germany before we did on Japan? Could that have been to protect the wealthy people in the US? Just wondering how you see that one.
did i mention anything about party? anywhere? you know what's wrong with you and people like you, you just don't get it! there is only one party in this country. it's called the big govt party, and you vote for it at every opportunity you get! ease up on the koolaid buddy, time to wake up

Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM

25,231 posts, read 16,938,118 times
Quote:
You just failed in many ways. Some of those wars you howl about belonged to Democrats and were nothing of the kind you describe them as and lump them with others as being. Our Korean war entry was caused by the fact that Harry Truman had promised the Southeast Asian people that if they were threatened by Communists that we would help them. I graduated from high school about 10 days before he declared that our Army would be going in spite of the fact that it would take at least 2 weeks for the UN to decide what to do. I don't think that Truman ever gave any thought to what we would call that one since a part of the Truman Doctrine called for action to keep our nation ahead of the Communists. I don't remember him calling it a police action, as the UN did, but I do think that South Korea is one of the most successful capitalist nations in the world.

Vietnam was much the same in that Eisenhower had promised much the same thing Truman did. It was Eisenhower, under a Democrat Congress that sent the first troops there in 1954 and then it was Democrat Presidents and Congresses that allowed it to become something other than protecting the South. In both those wars politicians kept our troops from winning by not allowing them to fight beyond the lines established by the UN. Both could have been won with little trouble but fear of China seemed to cause the Congress to back off.

I have always thought that the Kosovo thing was just what Clinton thought would be one of those nice little wars that would lead to few casualties to American forces and would be a feather in his cap.

I believe that those who enlisted to serve are the real heroes although in Korea and Vietnam most of those who served either were drafted or enlisted to avoid the draft. It makes no difference, many of those who were drafted didn't want to take part, either, but did because they belonged to the US and wanted to do their duty. Yep, there were plenty of those people who were conscientious objectors who managed to avoid it but some of them went ahead and served.

BTW, what was the reason that we declared war on Germany before we did on Japan? Could that have been to protect the wealthy people in the US? Just wondering how you see that one.
Some people really should not speak of history since they obviously do not know it.
The US declared war on Japan on December 8 1941, and after both Italy and Germany declared war on the US the US declared war on Germany on December 11, 1941.
Casper

Old 03-04-2011, 12:38 PM

44,882 posts, read 33,268,118 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
For starters...

Bush Can’t Travel Abroad Without Risking Arrest
Bush Can

War Crimes Conference Seeks Ways to Prosecute Bush
War Crimes Conference

Just because somebody is born with a platinum spoon in their mouth and is wealthy and well connected enough to escape justice, does not mean that they are not guilty of crimes.
Very enjoyable links. The first one was an opinion piece written by the editor of The Progressive and was much what one would expect from him and the second one was very little short of the same thing. It was an opinion piece, and totally agenda driven.

Really two strong opinion pieces in the eyes of progressives, but you know what I think of them.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:51 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
Some people really should not speak of history since they obviously do not know it.
The US declared war on Japan on December 8 1941, and after both Italy and Germany declared war on the US the US declared war on Germany on December 11, 1941.
Casper

I'm quite sure Roy just misspoke when he actually meant we chose to pursue the war in Europe first.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:54 PM

3,189 posts, read 4,982,620 times
Quote:
You just failed in many ways. Some of those wars you howl about belonged to Democrats and were nothing of the kind you describe them as and lump them with others as being.

Just a bit of perspective from a guy who spent just short of 4 years in Vietnam.....

I was a CAP Marine, a Lt. at the time. Combined Action Platoons were comprised normally of 12 Marines and 1 Navy Corpsman who lived in the villages and hamlets with the people. We were part of what the Pentagon called the "Vietnamization" of the war. Our job was to live, sleep, work, and eat with the people while teaching them how to defend themselves. CAP casualty rates were 75%-80%...the worst in the entire war. We had prices on our heads. With only 13 of us there, far away from any firebase, everyone knew that help would never get there in time if all hell broke lose. But it was rewarding in that we were really doing something with the people and made close bonds with them. To this day, villages hold memorial services to honour those CAP Marines who died trying to keep them free. And believe me, I lived with them, and all they wanted was to be free! They CERTAINLY didn't want the Communist's way of forcing their ideals on them by murder and intimidation. So may people overlook that important point and excuse the murderous Communists of the North.

But anyhow.....the way I see it is that each of those Cold War conflicts were simply battles in a larger long-term war. You could look at each one of them as a rung in a ladder. Korea, then Vietnam and so on were just another step towards the ultimate victory of defeating the spread of Communism. At every step the Communists took to overtake (by force) the peaceful and freedom loving people, the USA made them pay. Each time we opposed them, they got a little more bloodied. By opposing their aggression at each step, we eventually made them realize that we would cost them many lives and money too.

Thankfully, they finally got the message and quit. Plus, their years of aggression eventually cost them so much that Communism finally fell. But we wouldn't have gotten to the top of the ladder without each rung being necessary. Russian Communism is a thing of the past now and the Chinese are adopting capitalism because they learned from Russia's mistakes.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Pardon me, but looking back on some of these posts, I am not the only one that has made the error. Actually the Bushies are a crime family...period.

The Bush “Dynasty of Death:" Four Generations
of Wall Street War-Making and War-Profiteering

http://erickarlstrom.com/Articles/Th...th(2_9_07).doc

The Crimes of George H. W. Bush
The Crimes of George H. W. Bush
I read some real crap on your second link. It was an attempt to put George H. W. Bush into the group that assassinated Kennedy, if a group existed. I got pretty sick of reading it but the discussion that followed between a Mr. Ecker and a Mr. Frank (not Bawney) was very interesting.

That site was full of stuff like that and I will have to run back there some time.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:55 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,198,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 58robbo View Post
don't you guys ever get tired of patting each other on the back. geez and here i thought the global warming crowd was brainwashed.
Yea, i kinda get tired of the whole "thanks for your service" stuff myself. People say it to me all the time when they find out that i'm a vet. I don't know what the big deal is....i volunteered, traveled, and got paid for doing it. Hell, i'm the one who should be thanking the taxpayer for my experiences and for paying for my privilege to serve. I think it's part of that Post-Vietnam guilt trip thing going around....the vets were supposedly treated poorly when they got back so everyone wants to overcompensate nowadays. I've got nothing against it, but it sounds silly to me personally.

Old 03-04-2011, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Excuse me if I don't take you seriously at all.

People who get their information from places like the Democratic Underground, Daily Kos, and Common Dreams really haven't got anything even approaching rational though.
Agreed but there are hours of laughing and giggling on those sites. I actually had to laugh at some of the crap in one of the things about George H. W. Bush being somehow involved in the assassination of Kennedy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies