Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 08:02 AM

7,545 posts, read 8,328,091 times

Advertisements

But the poor deserve vacations too. Who cares who is paying for it?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
True and taxpayers are on the hook for all the ATM fees as well.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:04 AM

10,092 posts, read 8,206,642 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
mb1547..you can use it out of state but if you move you are supposed to register for and use the social programs of that state.
If they're double dipping that needs to be cracked down on--I'm completely with you on that--but again, I've lived in rural Missouri and I still have lots of friends there. People with no education and skills are grateful for a minimum wage job at Branson. They have terrible unemployment.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:05 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,707,823 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
The problem you have is the automation of these payment represents a HUGE cost savings to the states. Ending them would represent a huge cost which most states are not in the position to undertake right now.
I doubt it's a big savings as there is more being wasted on food stamps than ever. Government spending hasn't decreased for these programs, it's only gone up.

The whole program should be ended and the government could set up feeding stations like food lines where hungry people could come and eat. That would end all the money also being wasted on junk food.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whatyousay View Post
They do? From what? Laying around idle all day?

If they want vacations, they need to find jobs and work to earn their vacations.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
That is your assumption. Nowhere in any article has that been stated.

A person on welfare/food stamps can barely live in their state yet can afford plane tickets to Hawaii to look for min wage work and drop off welfare rolls ?
The article said foodstamps--not just welfare. If you can make more working the winter in a tourist destination than you would in an entire year at home, why wouldn't you go there? Like I said--if there's fraud it needs to be cut completely out, but I think some of you are jumping to conclusions.

The article doesn't talk about the traveling for jobs--but it's not my assumption. I live in the Midwest and I see it here.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
I know people from here who go to Hawaii in the winter to work the resorts--I'm dead serious. Most of them do seasonal labor on farms, and they spend the winter working as grounds keepers or handymen while it's cold here. They don't have to pay winter heating bills that way either. There's no agricultural work in the winter (unless you can tag in to one of the big corporate farms) because family farmers don't raise much livestock anymore--the market is controlled by the big guys. I've been on vacation in Hawaii and it wasn't cheap. How would you pay for a "vacation" with welfare benefits (or even the airfare) if you weren't trying to get work, or had work lined up?
You haven't been listening to the liberals lately. According to the liberals, Americans are too lazy to do those kinds of jobs, those jobs can only be filled by illegals who the liberals tell us never use food stamps or welfare but come here to pay taxes.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:12 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by mb1547 View Post
The article said foodstamps--not just welfare. If you can make more working the winter in a tourist destination than you would in an entire year at home, why wouldn't you go there? Like I said--if there's fraud it needs to be cut completely out, but I think some of you are jumping to conclusions.

The article doesn't talk about the traveling for jobs--but it's not my assumption. I live in the Midwest and I see it here.
The same thing is happening in California. I posted an article a few posts back.

Those figures are just for one month January 2011.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
You haven't been listening to the liberals lately. According to the liberals, Americans are too lazy to do those kinds of jobs, those jobs can only be filled by illegals who the liberals tell us never use food stamps or welfare but come here to pay taxes.
I'm not a liberal.

The migrant worker population here (in the Midwest) competes with the very people I'm talking about--the packing houses bring undocumented workers in and pay them almost nothing, then ship them home if they get injured. That's a problem with those employers and a failure on the part of the state to stop them from exploiting those folks--not with the people who come here to just try to make a living. Why would the packing house pay someone minimum wage if they can get slave labor from Mexico for nearly free, treat them like animals, and they get a slap on the wrist if they get caught? It's wrong. If they cracked down on the employers here, and made them follow employment laws, there would be more jobs for everyone else. In the meantime, the people who've grown up here who don't want to work for 2 or 3 dollars an hour under the table, with no health and safety controls, wind up leaving in the winter to find work elsewhere.

Old 03-05-2011, 08:30 AM

Well the only way to stop the massive welfare fraud is to change these programs entirely.

Welfare offices are filled with social workers who are more than willing to help commit fraud, but the programs themselves invite much fraud. It's simply too easy for anyone to get food stamps without proof of citizenship or necessity.

Nothing stops people from collecting welfare under different aliases and from different states at the same time.

Just like in states that allow food stamps to be used for can deposits on soft drinks and the welfare crowd is seen pouring out the contents in the parking lots to return the cans for cash for their other purchases.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies