Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-05-2011, 07:28 PM

14,539 posts, read 21,263,135 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Casper in Dallas View Post
I find it ridiculous to think having one ID for ALL Americans is any sort police state tactic. In fact I find the ID idea a good one, one document you can show no matter what state you are in to prove who your are, I would go further and do the same with drivers licences, on US drivers licence, why on earth do we have seperate DLs, no other country that I know of does this, maybe because they all consider the dea as ludicrous. Let me also remind you that if a Law Enforcement Officer asks you for some id today you can be detained if you cannot produce any, especially if you match the description of anyone they are actively looking for.
Casper
Id is one thing. ID with encoded personal information is different. ID can be stolen for one thing. When I lost my purse a few years ago I reported my ID stolen and got a duplicate. But ALL they got was that. With addition information it is giving thieves a head start.

I would guess they need to resolve conflicts between states over what qualifies you for a lisence as well. Some have limitations on drugs taken, for instance and some not and some just different ones. How does one resolve this? Give them out with the same standard as now or create a national standard?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-06-2011, 08:26 AM

19,023 posts, read 25,969,090 times
We don't need to show any ID till obama does right? I don't carry any, anymore for that very reason.

Maybe I'll just roll mine up and place it in the barrel of my .45 so I can display it faster

Old 03-06-2011, 08:39 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,488,320 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
Id is one thing. ID with encoded personal information is different. ID can be stolen for one thing. When I lost my purse a few years ago I reported my ID stolen and got a duplicate. But ALL they got was that. With addition information it is giving thieves a head start.

I would guess they need to resolve conflicts between states over what qualifies you for a lisence as well. Some have limitations on drugs taken, for instance and some not and some just different ones. How does one resolve this? Give them out with the same standard as now or create a national standard?
uhmm

most of the state ID's already have that

look at your liciense...mine is from New Yrok. I also had a NC license...it has a magnetic strip, and a barcode on it...the info is there already...so your worries are unfounded

Old 03-06-2011, 09:17 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,495,743 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by workingclasshero View Post
uhmm

most of the state ID's already have that

look at your liciense...mine is from New Yrok. I also had a NC license...it has a magnetic strip, and a barcode on it...the info is there already...so your worries are unfounded
Depends on the state. And do you know exactly what information is on your license ?

REAL ID is about chips, not barcodes/magnetic strips.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Depends on the state. And do you know exactly what information is on your license ?

REAL ID is about chips, not barcodes/magnetic strips.
bar code/ magnetic strip/ tiny chip...they are all the same

the info is basic info in electron form....

the government issues ids all the time

and that little chip gets read by a card reader like this.....

I have to have a reader and card just to log on to my computer

the chip is just like the chip in your cellphone

http://65.111.167.185/S/m/a/Smart_card.png (broken link)

many of your credit cards have the same chip on them now

Last edited by workingclasshero; 03-06-2011 at 12:31 PM..

Old 03-06-2011, 12:23 PM

20,187 posts, read 23,858,535 times
Doing all this solves what? Does it solve more than the problems that it creates? Are the costs, justified? The answer is likely no since we all have state IDs already... why pay more for something that gives less in return...

Old 03-06-2011, 12:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by evilnewbie View Post
Doing all this solves what? Does it solve more than the problems that it creates? Are the costs, justified? The answer is likely no since we all have state IDs already... why pay more for something that gives less in return...
because we need a NATIONAL STANDARD...it doesnt have to be a national id (although it would be cheaper to do it at a national level then to have the states do it), but a national STANDARD needs to be enforced...if each state is different and has their own databases that dont MATCH up with each other, that adds to the costs....a national standard, and a national id would be best and cheapest

Old 03-06-2011, 12:52 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
Quote:
because we need a NATIONAL STANDARD...it doesnt have to be a national id (although it would be cheaper to do it at a national level then to have the states do it), but a national STANDARD needs to be enforced...if each state is different and has their own databases that dont MATCH up with each other, that adds to the costs....a national standard, and a national id would be best and cheapest
Problem being the federal government is not pushing for a national standard. It's pushing for a national ID which offers a myriad of opportunities for abuse and yet another unwarranted consolidation of power and information under federal control.

Your assertion that a national ID would be 'best" is highly subjective.

Old 03-06-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by outbacknv View Post
Problem being the federal government is not pushing for a national standard. It's pushing for a national ID which offers a myriad of opportunities for abuse and yet another unwarranted consolidation of power and information under federal control.

Your assertion that a national ID would be 'best" is highly subjective.
you get more abuses from the individual states

quit fearmongering

Old 03-06-2011, 12:57 PM

3,083 posts, read 4,011,174 times
Quote:
you get more abuses from the individual states

quit fearmongering
People have options of relocating from individual states that they find abusive. No such options exist with your federal leanings.

Quit sugarcoating unlawful consolidation of power under federal control as something good and benevolent.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies