Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 12:29 PM

37,962 posts, read 17,939,067 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Observation View Post
Unless you were one of the pigs that tackled me you shouldn't speak about events where you were not present.
My gun jammed, thats the only reason I'm alive right now.
If your gun jammed that means you had it out and attempted to fire it. Police are trained to shoot to kill when someone pulls a gun on them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 12:31 PM

37,962 posts, read 17,939,067 times
Quote:
In the past 2 months I have been asked by black dudes I don't associate with mid-day at least 100 times if I want to buy drugs.
Are you in jail? Almost 1.5 times a day you get asked? Strangers don't come up to me 1.5 times a day much less try to sell me drugs. I bathe and groom myself regularly too.

Old 03-15-2011, 12:36 PM

45 posts, read 93,633 times
You want to know why more blacks are in jail. For starters, black unemployment is substantially higher. If many of them can't get jobs, drugs may be their only choice in their minds. For instance, I went into a restaurant that is staffed with 50 people. No blacks. I asked why and they just looked dumbfounded. I am white but I believe in fairness across the board. Poverty is another cause, no matter what the race. Until more can be done to make young people believe they have a future, this will persist.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:11 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,131,280 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I'm confused. Do you mean to say that in ANY ghetto in America - white and hispanic ghettos included - you will mostly find black people on the streets at night? Or was your point that all ghettos are black?

And why aren't white gated communities patrolled for drug dealing/use when everybody knows damn well that the largest consumers of designer drugs and typical rich people drugs (cocaine, heroin, etc.) are rich white people? Who's the largest group of people who can actually afford to support a cocaine habit? Why does possessing half a kilo of pure cocaine - over $10,000 dollars worth - only net you about 5 years in jail?
I've never seen a white ghetto but I do agree that Hispanics in Hispanic ghettos will be getting arrested at a higher rate than whites for drug crimes.

Heroin is not a rich people drug, and crack is a huge problem among the black population...so obviously these people can afford cocaine en masse so as to cook the stuff up.

I have no comment on the last part, since I don't have any comparison as to what kind of sentence a person possessing any other drug would get. I do know that most crimes involving marijuana are a slap on the wrist these days, unless they think you're trafficking or are a big time dealer.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:54 PM

4,520 posts, read 4,218,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I've never seen a white ghetto but I do agree that Hispanics in Hispanic ghettos will be getting arrested at a higher rate than whites for drug crimes.

Heroin is not a rich people drug, and crack is a huge problem among the black population...so obviously these people can afford cocaine en masse so as to cook the stuff up.

I have no comment on the last part, since I don't have any comparison as to what kind of sentence a person possessing any other drug would get. I do know that most crimes involving marijuana are a slap on the wrist these days, unless they think you're trafficking or are a big time dealer.
There's no such thing as a White/Black/Hispanic ghetto. Ghettos are ghettos and all races live there. I was born and raised in SE DC (the ghetto to many)...there were white people.

Old 03-15-2011, 07:58 PM

25,157 posts, read 54,021,727 times
I bet there weren't many black bankers or Fanny May associates that allowed the country to go down the tubes.

Old 03-15-2011, 08:09 PM

208 posts, read 416,981 times
Quote:
In the past 2 months I have been asked by black dudes I don't associate with mid-day at least 100 times if I want to buy drugs.
Perhaps you should hang out with a better group of people. 100 times in 2 months? Was it the same two guys?

Last edited by MeSoBe; 03-15-2011 at 08:29 PM.. Reason: added a word

Old 03-15-2011, 08:19 PM

208 posts, read 416,981 times
Quote:
Uh... do you seriously believe that every white criminal understands the law or that every black criminal doesn't?

Did it occur to you that blacks are profiled for being criminals (ie searched for no reason other than they're black) at a much higher rate than whites? What do you think would happen if the average young white male was searched for drugs anywhere near as often as the average young black male is?
Bob Herbert has highlighted this practice at least twice in his column in the NYT.

Quote:
Jeffrey Fagan, a professor of law and public health at Columbia University and a widely recognized scholar on the subject of police and citizen interactions...found...that seizures of weapons or contraband as a result of the stops “is extremely rare.”

The rate of gun seizures is near zero — 0.15 guns seized for every 100 stops. “The N.Y.P.D. stop-and-frisk tactics,” wrote Professor Fagan, “produce rates of seizures of guns or other contraband that are no greater than would be produced simply by chance.”

From 2004 through 2009, city police officers stopped people on the street and checked them out nearly three million times. Many were patted down, frisked, made to sprawl face down on the ground, or spread-eagle themselves against a wall or over the hood of a car. Nearly 90 percent of the people stopped were completely innocent of any wrongdoing.

An overwhelming majority of the people stopped were black or Hispanic. Blacks were nine times more likely than whites to be stopped by the police, but no more likely than whites to be arrested as a result of the stops.

- Full article

Old 03-15-2011, 08:30 PM

1,372 posts, read 1,552,180 times
Quote:
So a small percentage of the black population - never mind that there are plenty of white drug dealers - dealing drugs is a crime worth tarnishing the image of all black people in the media but destroying the economy for everybody when we know that nearly all of the perpetrators are white has no effect on the image of white people? Some country we live in.
Move somewhere else then. All you do is whine about your perceived injustices in this country. In what country do you imagine yourself having a better life?

And as far as more blacks getting busted for drug crimes, I think the fact that the police generally go after the dealers rather than the end users answers that question. I see them on nearly ever corner in certain neighborhoods. Everybody knows what their doing. It's so ridiculously obvious that the police don't have much trouble busting their dumb asses. What, you pissed at white folks for being more discreet?

Old 03-15-2011, 08:33 PM

5,864 posts, read 4,994,232 times
Quote:
Unless you were one of the pigs that tackled me you shouldn't speak about events where you were not present.
My gun jammed, thats the only reason I'm alive right now.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies