Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-15-2011, 08:29 AM

4,520 posts, read 4,218,514 times

Advertisements

Thank you for this thread Nineties Flava.

I hope those who are so quick to label Blacks as criminals really take this in, rather than dismiss it. It's very easy for our arrest and incarceration rate to be higher when we are more likely to be profiled and sentenced to prison rather than probation or a rehab facility.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-15-2011, 10:10 AM

10,854 posts, read 9,322,546 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ChocLot View Post
Thank you for this thread Nineties Flava.

I hope those who are so quick to label Blacks as criminals really take this in, rather than dismiss it. It's very easy for our arrest and incarceration rate to be higher when we are more likely to be profiled and sentenced to prison rather than probation or a rehab facility.
It's is also easier to label somebody a cirminal when you have criminal justice system the consistently WRONGLY CONVICTS NON-WHITE AMERICAN AT SIGNFICANTLY HIGHER RATES THAN WHITE AMERICANS!

Race and Wrongful Convictions

Quote:
Are people of color more susceptible to be wrongfully convicted in the United States?

Speaking on a panel at law school conference last week, Innocence Project Policy Director Stephen Saloom (left) pointed to some of the ways minority groups face injustice in our system.

Wrongful convictions are caused by both systemic flaws in our criminal justice and by external variables, Saloom said, including subtle factors that subconsciously affect who we perceive as guilty or innocent and how people conduct investigations. These human factors mean race has an impact in our courts. “When considering stereotypes and the disproportionate minority contact in the system, we have a greater propensity to think people of color may have done something,” he said.

Cross-racial identifications have also played a role in sending a disproportionate number of people of color to prison for crimes they didn’t commit, Saloom said. Eyewitness misidentification is the leading cause of wrongful convictions overturned through DNA evidence, and in more than half of the misidentification cases, the witness and perpetrator were of difference races.

The total number of wrongful convictions overturned through DNA testing underline the racial disparities in our system; 254 people have been exonerated through DNA tests, and 172 of them have been black or Latino.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:24 AM

38,348 posts, read 22,340,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
I have yet to see a single thread about why whites are by far the largest market for drugs in America and yet the second-least incarcerated for it (percentage-wise).

Or why most of the cartels supplying the drug trade in America are from Europe/China/Mexico as opposed to Africa (which of course oddly coincides with American immigration patterns).

Or why the russians, italians and irish are not seen as "white" in popular culture the moment they represent a criminal element and the mainstream media (Hollywood) goes to huge lengths to exaggerate their accents and make their culture seem "different" from that of White America so that the two aren't connected.

Or why white collar crime and rampant corruption in Wall Street and corporate america in general - which is almost completely ran by whites - isn't seen in the same light as other crime despite that it almost destroyed our economy.

I could go into more detail but let's make this thread simple. Why are whites stereotypically not seen as being criminals despite that whites have made the vast majority of the $ from illegal trades and business practices throughout American history and are by far the most prevalent group of illegal substance abusers (a federal crime)?
Crime is more prevalent in large urban centers, which is where more blacks in America choose to live. So its not blacks being more inclined to crime, as it is urban crime. If blacks live disproportionately in the big cities, then they will also acquire a seemingly disproportionate set of statistical results, which apply to people living in urban areas.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:28 AM

38,348 posts, read 22,340,644 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JazzyTallGuy View Post
It's is also easier to label somebody a cirminal when you have criminal justice system the consistently WRONGLY CONVICTS NON-WHITE AMERICAN AT SIGNFICANTLY HIGHER RATES THAN WHITE AMERICANS!

Race and Wrongful Convictions
Where are these crimes being committed? Are they committed in the large sprawling urban cities?

If urban areas see blacks and Hispanics living at "SIGNFICANTLY HIGHER RATES THAN WHITE AMERICANS" then do not be surprised about the results.

Old 03-15-2011, 10:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wapasha View Post
Crime is more prevalent in large urban centers, which is where more blacks in America choose to live. So its not blacks being more inclined to crime, as it is urban crime. If blacks live disproportionately in the big cities, then they will also acquire a seemingly disproportionate set of statistical results, which apply to people living in urban areas.
How do you know crime is more prevalent in large urban centers? You don't know this...none of us do. What you know is that more arrests take place for crimes in urban areas. That's the whole point...if Whites faced the same scrutiny and punishment by the law as Blacks, you would see who was really responsible for most of the crime in the US.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:08 AM

41,813 posts, read 51,190,715 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nineties Flava View Post
And why aren't white gated communities patrolled for drug dealing/use when everybody knows damn well that the largest consumers of designer drugs and typical rich people drugs (cocaine, heroin, etc.) are rich white people?
Because you don't see a lot of the violence nnd other issues in these communities.

I lived in "leave it to beaverland" growing up and there was plenty of drugs floating around. If you wanted drugs you couldn't walk down to the corner and pick them up, you had to know someone. It doesn't mean they weren't available, just not instantly available. There was little to no crime over drugs, it was a very peaceful community. People using and selling drugs didn't attract attention to themselves so very few ever got arrested. Those that did get arrested was the result of some other activity like drinking and driving...

Old 03-15-2011, 11:16 AM

Quote:
How do you know crime is more prevalent in large urban centers? You don't know this...none of us do.
Are you kidding? My 92 year old Grandmother can walk down the street 3AM in the morning as could anyone else in the community I grew up withoput any fear of anything happening. The size of the police force is half the national rate on a per capita basis becsue they can't justify anything larger. We haven't had a gun related incident since the 70's and even then it was some kid that blew his head off playing Russian roulette when he was on PCP.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thecoalman View Post
Are you kidding? My 92 year old Grandmother can walk down the street 3AM in the morning as could anyone else in the community I grew up withoput any fear of anything happening. The size of the police force is half the national rate on a per capita basis becsue they can't justify anything larger. We haven't had a gun related incident since the 70's and even then it was some kid that blew his head off playing Russian roulette when he was on PCP.
You do know that crime is not restricted to just acts of violence, right? But to follow your violent theme, how many folks in your grandmother's neighborhood are using drugs (an illegal act), how many men are abusing their wife/children (an illegal violent act), how many parents are sexually molesting their children (an illegal violent act)?

BTW, I'm Black and live in a predominantly black neighborhood. I have zero fears about walking down the street in the early morning. For that matter, I was raised in the projects of Washington, DC and had many nights where I walked home from a club at 3AM...not a gun shot wound to my name.

Old 03-15-2011, 11:27 AM

Quote:
For that matter, I was raised in the projects of Washington, DC and had many nights where I walked home from a club at 3AM...not a gun shot wound to my name.
I'm white, could I do the same thing in your neighborhood? I know you could in mine.

Here's the crime stats for where I grew up:

https://www.city-data.com/crime/crime...nsylvania.html

Old 03-15-2011, 11:31 AM

Quote:
how many folks in your grandmother's neighborhood are using drugs (an illegal act),
I'm sure it's a lot but again it's not in the open, this topic is about why there is more blacks incarcerated. If you're going to get arrested for drugs you first need to get caught with them.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies