Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 07:29 PM

7,871 posts, read 10,133,832 times

Advertisements

So, I can't help wondering, sanrene.

Why don't YOU think marriage should be a right?

Any time now will be just fine.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:31 PM

Sanrene: "The case had really nothing to do with marriage. "

SCOTUS: "We are dealing here with legislation which involves one of the basic civil rights of man. Marriage and procreation are fundamental to the very existence and survival of the race."

Orwell is laughing.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,956,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
I bolded the important part for you. When it was cited by the Court in the holding of Loving, it became more than a concurring opinion.

It became the law, whether you like it or not.

You really should stop now.

But not before you answer my question.

Aren't you embarrassed yet? How much are they paying you?

They're not getting their money's worth, IMHO.
How can a statement within a ruling that had nothing to do with the case before the court become law?

The court was not ruling on weather marriage is a right and just because he made comment about what HE thinks, outside of the MAIN opinion, is meaningless and certainly does not say what you say it does.

Oh, best watch the personal attacks. Let's just try and stick to the topic and not make it personal.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Sanrene: "The case had really nothing to do with marriage. "

SCOTUS: "We are dealing here with legislation which involves one of the basic civil rights of man. Marriage and procreation are fundamental to the very existence and survival of the race."

Orwell is laughing.
That is not the case;

This is;

Loving v. Virginia

Quote:
This case presents a constitutional question never addressed by this Court: whether a statutory scheme adopted by the State of Virginia to prevent marriages between persons solely on the basis of racial classifications violates the Equal Protection and Due Process Clauses of the Fourteenth Amendment. [n1] For reasons which seem to us to reflect the central meaning of those constitutional commands, we conclude that these statutes cannot stand consistently with the Fourteenth Amendment.
Now, I would have thought you might have known that.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:38 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,898,140 times
Quote:
So, I can't help wondering, sanrene.

Why don't YOU think marriage should be a right?

Any time now will be just fine.
It's hillarious. The anti-gay crowd spits out their cliche phrases and words and blah blah.. but when you ask them a question, they ignore you. They will just side track and say something else.

"Why is same sex marriage wrong?"
"WHAT'S NEXT, BESTIALITY!?!!"

"Huh, what? Can you answer the question? Why is same sex marriage wrong?"
"POLYGAMY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!"

UGH.
Good luck getting an answer. They will never respond with a direct one.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

23,416 posts, read 37,012,211 times
I cant remember the last time I saw someone tap-dance so fast.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
How can a statement within a ruling that had nothing to do with the case before the court become law?
How can a statement within a ruling have nothing to do with the case?

It was included in the holding of Loving. You seem to have great difficulty understanding the meaning of this fact.

Quote:
The court was not ruling on weather marriage is a right and just because he made comment about what HE thinks, outside of the MAIN opinion, is meaningless and certainly does not say what you say it does.
LOL

I think it means exactly what it says. It has been very entertaining watching your gyrations, trying to argue that it doesn't mean precisely what it says.

A concurring opinion is not part of a holding. This is correct. But when it was cited in the holding of Loving, it became law.

And that just really burns your ass for some reason, but it is a fact.

And what does this have to do with the weather?

Quote:
Oh, best watch the personal attacks. Let's just try and stick to the topic and not make it personal.
Then start being intellectually honest.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM

It is irrelevant to the topic of this thread, that's why.

Loving v. Virginia

This case had nothing to do with the question of marriage being a right. It had to do with the STATE of VA and how they were administering the contract of marriage based on RACE.

Quote:
I think it means exactly what it says. It has been very entertaining watching your gyrations, trying to argue that it doesn't mean precisely what it says.

A concurring opinion is not part of a holding. This is correct. But when it was cited in the holding of Loving, it became law.

And that just really burns your ass for some reason, but it is a fact.
Still waiting for the case that determines if marriage is a right, because this one doesn't, sorry. Just because the judge makes a statement about what he believes marriage to be, if the issue does not reside in the main question AND ruling...forget it.

Quote:
Then start being intellectually honest.
But I am - debunking your misreading of the ruling with your pull quote. Your quote was not an issue OR addressed by the court.

Now find me one that was.

People have the "freedom" to marry, based on restrictions and criteria determined by the state. IF it were truly a "right", could we marry our cousins, brother, pet dog?

Last edited by sanrene; 03-17-2011 at 07:50 PM..

Old 03-17-2011, 07:40 PM

Quote:
That is not the case;

This is;

Loving v. Virginia

Oh noes.

Except I'm right either way.

Plan on answering my question any time soon, sanrene?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:42 PM

Quote:
That is not the case;

This is;

Loving v. Virginia

I do know that.

Even better, I know it's my point, not yours.

Remember when I said you should stop now?

Too late.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies