Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-17-2011, 05:33 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
And he hasn't. That's the province of the courts. But it is his prerogative to prioritize work in the DOJ, which is all he is really doing.

I am not responsible for your inability to understand basic American civics.

DOJ is executive branch.,

End of debate.
He's not prioritizing, he's blatantly saying he will not defend the law. That's not prioritizing.

Quote:
Civil rights are not the subject of majority opinion under our system of government.

The one you seem to have so very little understanding of.
Gay marriage is not a civil right.

Old 03-17-2011, 06:34 AM

555 posts, read 877,248 times
Quote:
"If you give blacks the vote, you will lose the war because the backlash against blacks will be enormous."

- Anonymous bigot, circa 1870.

Be careful what you wish for.

Who said anything about dictionary? Court opinions change the law all the time. No dictionary nnecessary, tough guy.

Im my experience, such tough guys are often struggling with their own sexuality. Externalized self-loathing FTW.
Blacks? Using inapt analogies to argue a point is totally invalid. Issues should stand or fall on their own merits.

Be careful what you wish for was exactly my point.

Gays always accuse their opponents of being closet gays, since that is the most inflammatory thing they could say about us. That doesn't phase me. You know where you can go, and I'm sure you will go there.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:28 AM

7,871 posts, read 10,132,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
He's not prioritizing, he's blatantly saying he will not defend the law. That's not prioritizing.
It's both. So what.

Quote:
But marriage is. And being treated equally regardless of sex is.

The rest is simple addition.

Should we draw you a picture (again)?

Old 03-17-2011, 07:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rodomonte View Post
Blacks? Using inapt analogies to argue a point is totally invalid. Issues should stand or fall on their own merits.
You wish it were not an apt analogy, but legally it is. Gay marriage will be decided upon under the auspices of the Equal Protection clause. It is the same issue altogether, legally speaking.

I can understand why you would wish it otherwise, but the courts are already using this analysis to find gay marriage prohibitions unconstitutional.

You're losing.

Quote:
Be careful what you wish for was exactly my point.
I wish for everyone to be treated equally under the law. What do YOU wish for?

Quote:
Gays always accuse their opponents of being closet gays, since that is the most inflammatory thing they could say about us. That doesn't phase me. You know where you can go, and I'm sure you will go there.
I wouldn't know what gays do, I can only speak from experience. Many times I have discovered that the trash-talking homophobe is really a closet homosexual.

Just like Roy Cohn. And just like Cohn, I find them despicable, hypocritical bigots.

Oh, and thank you for your hearfelt concern regarding my immortal soul. That's very "Christian" of you.

Old 03-17-2011, 07:34 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,114,106 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by PITTSTON2SARASOTA View Post
The sanctimonious hypocrisy of some Republicans and far right wing politicians NEVER ceases to amaze me.......mainly, let's get the government out of the "bedroom"......and stop wasting money and time.

In an era when Republicans are supposedly only interested in cutting the budget deficit; they seem more than willing to spend tens of Millions of taxpayer dollars and government time defending the obviously unconstitutional "Defense" Of Marriage Act.

IMHO.......it just more agenda rhetoric....the "law" has been deemed unconstitutional by a federal judge, but since some Republicans feel they must force their viewpoint on others; they will challenge that court ruling. Once again...it's all about them; forget the budget or what's constitutionally correct.

Like kids in the schoolyard......I'll hold my breath until I turn blue......or my aptly........Do it my way or hit the highway. How can we ever work together to make our country better with this type of mentality and inane stubborness.

Let D.O.M.A. pass on into history as the bigoted law it was and save taxpayer monies and government time; we need to move forward and stop dwelling on "old" issues which the courts have already settled, same thing is true of abortion laws.

Bigotry Watch: House Repubs to defend DOMA? Bring it on! | News Blog from 365gay.com

As House GOP Fights to Defend DOMA, Democrats Start Push for Repeal Measure - Poliglot

House GOP moves to defend DOMA - Political Hotsheet - CBS News)

House Republicans Plan to Defend DOMA - News

House GOP leaders vote to defend DOMA - UPI.com

Urging House Republican Leaders Not to Defend DOMA - Rep. Baldwin

Task Force denounces vote by House Republicans to defend DOMA in court « National Gay and Lesbian Task Force Blog

House GOP moves to defend DOMA - Jake Sherman - POLITICO.com

What a bunch of gooper nonsense. Way to cut the deficit.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:01 AM

659 posts, read 1,759,836 times
Quote:
Neither was being free if you were black and living in the US before 1865.

But other than that whole out-dated-ideas-still-in-the-constitution-that-fit-my-personal-narrative-that-100-years-from-now-people-will-look-back-on-and-think-we-were-ignorant-redneck-freaks-living-in-the-stoneage justification... totally awesome point.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:25 AM

9,053 posts, read 17,201,105 times
I am just glad that we obviously have no other problems in the USA right now - that the Repubs can see fit to spend the time and money on a social issue vendetta.

It is hilarious: the tea partiers vote them in to "get costs under control" and once in, they immediately ignore (and even add to) that problem and start pouring time and money into a social agenda. All the while, the country, broken by the Repubs earlier, is still bleeding.

Old 03-17-2011, 08:29 AM

16,431 posts, read 22,202,108 times
If Obama had not instructed his Attorney General to ignore the law such expenditures would not be necessary.

Old 03-17-2011, 10:08 AM

41,325 posts, read 44,950,814 times
Quote:
It's both. So what.

But marriage is. And being treated equally regardless of sex is.

The rest is simple addition.

Should we draw you a picture (again)?
Marriage is not a right either. I though you were UP on the constitution?

Old 03-17-2011, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Marriage is not a right either. I though you were UP on the constitution?
Please don't tell me we are going to have this ludicrous argument again.

Do you ever learn?

Loving v. Virginia, 388 U.S. 1 (1967) It was a 9-0 vote.

It isn't even a subject for debate. Case closed. You lost this argument 44 years ago.

Do try to keep up with the class.

Seriously.

EDIT; And MOREOVER, why on EARTH would you prefere it NOT be a RIGHT?

Explain yourself, authoritarian marriage-hater.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies