Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-16-2011, 08:54 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,853,660 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
The Koch Bros. reputation precedes them.

Koch Industries is also a major polluter. During the 1990s, its faulty pipelines were responsible for more than 300 oil spills in five states, prompting a landmark penalty of $35 million from the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA). In Minnesota, it was fined an additional $8 million for discharging oil into streams. During the months leading up to the 2000 presidential elections, the company faced even more liability, in the form of a 97-count federal indictment charging it with concealing illegal releases of 91 metric tons of benzene, a known carcinogen, from its refinery in Corpus Christi, Texas. Koch Industries was ranked number 10 on the list of Toxic 100 Air Polluters by the Political Economy Research Institute in March, 2010.

In a study released in the spring of 2010, the University of Massachusetts at Amherst’s Political Economy Research Institute named Koch Industries one of the United States' top ten air polluters.
Koch Industries - SourceWatch

To even attempt to defend these guys or negate their agenda is ludicrous.
Seriously? "SourceWatch" as a source?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-16-2011, 09:12 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,348,515 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by le roi View Post
You were misleading by equating a system that dumps as a normal operating procedure (Georgia Pacific), to a system that dumps as an overflow in severe situations (CSOs).

I gave you the benefit of the doubt that you were just misleading everyone because you didn't understand the difference, rather than just lying outright.

Anyway, are you going to answer my question? Why does the existence of one problem we're working to eliminate (CSO's), make it okay to allow a second problem to exist (G-P's source point dumping) ?
First show me this is more than accusation.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:17 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Driller1 View Post
First show me this is more than accusation.

what part of my statements are under dispute?

That G-P's facility have planned discharges? that CSO's are often very old and problematic? that a CSO is designed with an overflow system for emergency weather conditions?

Old 03-16-2011, 09:24 AM

16,545 posts, read 13,455,215 times
Quote:
All of it. You provided your opinion and no facts to back anything up.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:26 AM

37,949 posts, read 17,870,209 times
Quote:
Yep, close the plants!!!!!
You took my simple statement and thought that? lmao maybe you shouldn't comment on this issue

Old 03-16-2011, 09:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loveshiscountry View Post
You took my simple statement and thought that? lmao maybe you shouldn't comment on this issue
Would't that solve the problem??

Old 03-16-2011, 09:30 AM

Quote:

That G-P's facility have planned discharges? that CSO's are often very old and problematic? that a CSO is designed with an overflow system for emergency weather conditions?
I agree the city sewage systems intend to dump the sewage.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:31 AM

16,880 posts, read 15,201,197 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Versatile View Post
Environmental Groups Claim Georgia-Pacific Dumps Pollution - ArkansasMatters.com

"Public Employees for Environmental Responsibility and the Ouachita Riverkeeper says a Georgia-Pacific plant owned by the Koch brothers is dumping 45-million gallons of paper mill waste every day into Coffee Creek, which flows into the Ouachita River.

I do find it strange that you never hear of how much junk is poured into the water and ground by the goverment. if the truth was told about the goverment and its damage to the enviroment, I think people would not even be worrying about private companies.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by monkeywrenching View Post
I do find it strange that you never hear of how much junk is poured into the water and ground by the goverment. if the truth was told about the goverment and its damage to the enviroment, I think people would not even be worrying about private companies.
Yes....that was my point with sewage.

Old 03-16-2011, 09:41 AM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
I agree the city sewage systems intend to dump the sewage.
You brought up Louisville, KY's CSO.

CSO Brochure

Here is more information. As you can see, Louisville's was built and designed in 1860 to take raw sewage into the river via the stormwater drainage system. They upgraded it between 1900 and 1950 to have an "overflow".

EPA Combined Sewer Overflows - Office of Wastewater Management

^Here is the EPA's policy on CSO's. As you click around, you might notice that none of them are in Arkansas, so the CSO issue is not even relevant to the people of Arkansas who are affected by the discharges from Georgia Pacific.

Now the question goes back to Georgia Pacific, and why it is "Okay" for them to have planned discharges in 2011, simply because some midwestern cities are struggling with poorly designed sewer systems that are 100 years old.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies