Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 12:50 PM

8,806 posts, read 6,116,012 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
This addresses drug abuse and welfare.

NIAAA Researchers Estimate Alcohol and Drug Use, Abuse, and Dependence Among Welfare Recipients (http://www.niaaa.nih.gov/NewsEvents/NewsReleases/welfare.htm - broken link)

This is an example of a program to help those on section 8 become self-sufficient.

Oakland Housing Authority Section 8
The Family Self-Sufficiency Program: HUD's Best Kept Secret for Promoting Employment and Asset Growth -- 4/12/01
From your first link:
Quote:
Proportions of welfare recipients using, abusing, or dependent on alcohol or illicit drugs are consistent with proportions of both the adult U.S. population and adults who do not receive welfare, report National Institute on Alcohol Abuse and Alcoholism researchers in the November American Journal of Public Health.
Nobody said otherwise. We are saying nobody on welfare should be doing any sort of drugs. If they have enough money for drugs, they have enough money for food, housing, utilities, bus passes, cell phone, etc. Also, this does not address cigarettes, which I have stated is a huge problem amongst the poor, and quite an expensive habit, I might add.

I don't even want to look at your other links b/c although there are programs out there to help rehabilitate people, they are not attended by nearly as many people as you would like to think. They are not mandatory in most cases. This has been discussed previously on C-D when someone posted an article that interviewed welfare recipients (they admitted to not going to the classes that were intended to help them).

Old 03-18-2011, 12:51 PM

Quote:
And so are you. However, I have answered the questions directly and asked you to apply the same logic you expect from others, that is the opposite of deflection.
I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to Einstein. I have not evaded any question from anybody, aside from not posting links to stats on demand. There are no stats on what I claim anyway, seeing as how it's not like the gov't will just put out info that makes them look bad. Then they would have to admit to a flawed system.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:52 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,889,083 times
This thread is about limiting recipients to one form of payment, not about self-sufficiency, drug abuse or any other topic.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
Please try not to speak for others. Besides, you didn’t ask Gobrien for stats, he is asking you (and I did too) to understand how you draw the conclusions that you do.

Yes, same thread. The myth and assumptions you maintain about knowing every aspect of others’ life have led you to discount any counter argument. And it is also the premise of the one question you’ve been running around with. The answer to that is right here, and has been provided before: the myth and assumptions held by you, and substantiated by a personal experience I mentioned earlier in the thread when I was responding to meaningful posts.

So, now may be a good time for you to answer to at least one of my questions? Have you ever taken more than $20 from an ATM (much less in a month)?
I said I have used an ATM twice in three years, so I did already address and acknowledge the question. I think I took out $20 the first time and $40 this past time, and that's only b/c the cash back thing at Walgreen's was screwing up.

Now, answer my questions.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:54 PM

Quote:
This thread is about limiting recipients to one form of payment, not about self-sufficiency, drug abuse or any other topic.
This thread is about limiting people to not taking out more than $20 a month from their welfare card, a fact that was confounded by the OP. It is not about any of the other things you all have derailed it toward.

Old 03-18-2011, 12:55 PM

26,639 posts, read 36,755,519 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
I'm not talking to you, I'm talking to Einstein. I have not evaded any question from anybody, aside from not posting links to stats on demand. There are no stats on what I claim anyway, seeing as how it's not like the gov't will just put out info that makes them look bad. Then they would have to admit to a flawed system.
OK. You can't post stats because they don't exist, and they don't exist because of some kind of government conspiracy. Fair enough. But then what makes your whole take on this the entire truth? You seem to think that everyone on any kind of assistance is laying up on the crack pipe. How do you know that's the norm?

Old 03-18-2011, 01:10 PM

4,061 posts, read 9,889,083 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
This thread is about limiting people to not taking out more than $20 a month from their welfare card, a fact that was confounded by the OP. It is not about any of the other things you all have derailed it toward.
I have not once derailed it, you are talking semantics. Rephrasing a sentence in a different way does not change the topic.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:22 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
No it's not.

This thread is about taking an actual proposal and then misrepresenting it for political gain.

You just Glen Beck'd a thread, you should be very proud.

Old 03-18-2011, 01:27 PM

78,444 posts, read 60,652,129 times
Quote:
Minnesota Republicans are pushing legislation that would make it a crime for people on public assistance to have more $20 in cash in their pockets any given month. This represents a change from their initial proposal, which banned them from having any money at all.
Just how far gone are you? Has anyone told you the onion isn't a real news source?

Old 03-18-2011, 02:17 PM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dark Serge View Post

That's because many of them assume that all poor are the same after they have met like 5 of us. Yes, there are bad elements (as with ANY group), but most poor are just honest people down on their luck. Their vitriol simply comes from middle- and upper-class hatred of the poor, as they assume that *anyone* can move up the class ladder easy-peasy (which, needless to say, is a big load of dog doo). I am poor myself, and get gov't assistance, and guess what? I'm a college student! Never used drugs, never drank, never smoked... and never plan to. Better call Ripley's!
Yeah, but how much does it cost to fill up your Escalade? All the poor people on assistance drive them, you know.

On that - I know ONE person who drives an Escalade, and he owns a lot of rental properties around town. As a matter of fact, he rents to poor people, so I guess you could say those poor people have created jobs for him and several other people.

Too many people generalize the worst elements of any group or society to all its members. All poor people are lazy, all gays are flamboyant, all welfare recipients are dishonest ... it doesn't end.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies