Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 10:20 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
The welfare people's kids get free lunches - and breakfasts at schools. They don't even have to use their food stamps or WIC coupons to feed their kids.
I would not be the best candidate to speak with authority on having kids and being on unemployment insurance. But, do people on UI also get the added benefit of free lunch for their kids in schools?

Quote:
Welfare people don't need to be taking cabs.
Unrealistic. I had rented a room in my house to a person on UI for a short period of time. He had sold his car, bought a bicycle but that limited his flexibility to look for a job. There were occasions I gave him a ride one way and he would end up burning the rest of the afternoon because there is no public transportation available, and the location too far and inconvenient to use the bicycle.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:21 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times
Quote:
Give them vouchers for a few bus trips. I'm sure the bus drivers can take some kind of token or even a swipe-card.

And if you're on welfare, it's not like you need to ride the bus every day to work, you need a few trips to the doctor to use your Medicaid, the grocery store to use your food stamps. That should cover it.
The bus has a swipe system that takes their own cards, but not debit or credit cards. It only reads bus passes, which must be paid with cash. And have you ever tried grocery shopping by bus? You can't carry a week's worth of groceries on the bus, trust me.

You want people out looking for work, but you begrudge them the ability to buy a month's bus pass? And, in rural areas, there are people who actually have to take a taxi to get groceries. Taxis take cash.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:22 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,889,083 times
Most welfare programs that give cash assistance have strict requirements to stay in the program and often have to volunteer for work in government offices to train for the workforce. Some are attending college or GED classes. Some were in domestic violence situations or have special-needs children and some don't live on bus lines. Some are looking for work. It's hard to generalize what type of person gets a handout.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:25 AM

6,902 posts, read 7,541,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Tell me, what do they need cash for? Literally everything except maybe rent can be paid with a credit card number or a swipe these days. And some landlords DO take cards or allow online payment. But why are they paying their rent with cash assistance? That's what section 8 is for.

I have used an ATM I think twice in the last three years.

This is the first I'm hearing where a landlord will allow you to pay your rent online. Most landlords either want a personal check payment by the beginning of the month and after that certified funds if your late. I would also like to know for those who don't have a computer, if they are able to pay any bills online, how are they suppose to do it if they do not have access to a computer? how are they suppose to pay their gas and electric bill?

Old 03-18-2011, 10:27 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,728,990 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I would not be the best candidate to speak with authority on having kids and being on unemployment insurance. But, do people on UI also get the added benefit of free lunch for their kids in schools?

Yep. Anyone without income qualifies for free meals in the schools. There are schools where over 80% of the students are getting free meals.

In fact in some schools, it's even higher so they just give free meals to all the kids no matter how high the families incomes are.

The welfare class in the USA has the most obesity - including childhood obesity because they not only get food stamps, they get WIC coupons, they get free meals at the schools and even free meals at the Head Starts where they get free babysitting.

You'd wonder why the welfare class chooses to have so many kids - except that having kids costs them nothing at all and in fact brings in money.

Check out the baby and kids section in the craigslists ads sometime. You'll see a big business selling baby formula there. They are given far more than they actually can use so they sell it for cash.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackandproud View Post
This is the first I'm hearing where a landlord will allow you to pay your rent online. Most landlords either want a personal check payment by the beginning of the month and after that certified funds if your late. I would also like to know for those who don't have a computer, if they are able to pay any bills online, how are they suppose to do it if they do not have access to a computer? how are they suppose to pay their gas and electric bill?
I guess they will have to physically go to the office or make a debit payment by phone if offered by the utility under this proposal.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:32 AM

6,757 posts, read 8,289,675 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
I guess they will have to physically go to the office or make a debit payment by phone if offered by the utility under this proposal.
Tucson Electric Power allows you to pay by phone with your debit card - but they charge you $3.95 for the privilege. If you pay via money order, it only costs you $.50 for the money order, and a stamp or a trip to deliver the payment.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:34 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,833,891 times
Quote:
Yep. Anyone without income qualifies for free meals in the schools.
My question was specifically about UI. Does it count as an income? (people do pay taxes on it)

Old 03-18-2011, 10:43 AM

Quote:
My question was specifically about UI. Does it count as an income? (people do pay taxes on it)
Yes, it does.

Old 03-18-2011, 11:01 AM

8,323 posts, read 15,175,551 times
Quote:
If you don't have a problem with something, it is because you find it acceptable. In fact, you went farther and proposed all the excuses used by people who are quick to label people on government assistance as idiots. If you walk like a duck, quack like a duck...?
The concept of "it's the government's money that comes with strings and conditions" is only stated by those who dislike people on government assistance? Well that's a new one.

Either way, as long as you engage in hasty generalization and strawman of assuming my viewpoint - instead of seeing things like my conceding the theoretical aspect versus the actual viability of the bill, the discussion really is at an impass. Though, I read through my post a second time and still can't see "excuses" other than a standpoint of "It's the government's money. It has strings."

Spoiler
Also, just pointing out I can walk like a duck, quack like a duck... but am I a duck? Nope. I'm still human.

Quote:
Government's job is not to micromanage the people. There is a point when it must do its job and personal responsibility take over. Whether it is your money or from tax dollars... IT DOES NOT MATTER.
You see it as micromanaging the people. I see it as micromanaging the money being given out. As long as necessary concessions are made so that people can still pay doctors, get bus cards, and other necessities with the card itself, I don't see a problem with micromanaging how the government's money is being spent.

Quote:
What matters is whether you see $20/month from ATM as a practical solution to something. And what exactly is that something, if I may ask?
Thing is, I don't see it as practical or impractical solution to anything. At face value, I generally do not see a problem with the government wanting to more closely manage how its money is being spent.

Whether it's public workers; whether its students going to college; whether its grants being given to corporations; money given to government contracting companies (and their workers) - in none of these scenarios do I see a problem with the government putting limits, conditions, and strings on the money given. When that person receives the money (that they are not being forced to accept), they are accepting the terms and conditions of that money.

Last edited by gallowsCalibrator; 03-18-2011 at 11:10 AM..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies