Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Closed Thread Start New Thread

Old 03-18-2011, 09:40 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
I’m sorry, these idiots? At least you can hide behind teh internets and go demonstrating your personality and attitude.

Deflection.
Haha, I knew you would not respond to the actual post and instead pick on my choice of words. So predictable.

Okay, substitute "folks" for "idiots." Feel better now?

Old 03-18-2011, 09:43 AM

8,806 posts, read 6,110,162 times
Quote:
That wasn't the point. But then, I disagree with you on that too and will save that aspect of the discussion for another topic. Going back to the idea that limiting anybody to $20/month is a great one... how so? You're like the many around who assume ALL people on government assistance are there by choice, should be hated, are idiots, must be managed with suspicion and be micro-managed down to limiting that they can only withdraw $20/month.
Tell me, what do they need cash for? Literally everything except maybe rent can be paid with a credit card number or a swipe these days. And some landlords DO take cards or allow online payment. But why are they paying their rent with cash assistance? That's what section 8 is for.

Quote:

If your bank limited your ATM withdrawal to some impractical low amount, say $40/month, because they can, would you be just fine with it because you can use the card anyway?
I have used an ATM I think twice in the last three years.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:46 AM

20,702 posts, read 12,532,093 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by andrea3821 View Post
Nobody should be having cash benefits. It's insane that any state would be handing out a welfare card for use at an ATM or providing some kind of cash withdrawals from a food stamp card, or whatever the case may be.

The people can pay their bills using CHECKS from their CHECKING ACCOUNT (i.e., money they have earned). It's not the gov'ts responsibility to pay for someone's rent or cell phone, etc. and it's not their job to worry about how people pay these items.

I have no idea how it could be enforced but I think it's a good idea. Too many of them are defrauding the system and do in fact spend their own money on things they shouldn't be (cigarettes is a big one).
It isn't a food stamp card.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:46 AM

11,578 posts, read 13,947,225 times
Quote:
Nevermind the fact that the money you withdraw from your bank is YOUR money. Not some government handout to those living of the rest of us.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 AM

9,848 posts, read 8,280,777 times
Quote:
Tell me, what do they need cash for? Literally everything except maybe rent can be paid with a credit card number or a swipe these days. And some landlords DO take cards or allow online payment. But why are they paying their rent with cash assistance? That's what section 8 is for.

If they use ATMs the banks win because they are now looking at $5 fees for using them.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:47 AM

Quote:
Why is that not a problem? This is government micro-managing at its best.
Exactly! How many people need to be hired to see if they only got $20 a month cash.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:48 AM

12,755 posts, read 9,646,362 times
I was on welfare for a year or so back in the 60's.
I'm a long way from that now!

However, some things cash may be needed for (from my experience) are:

Pay phone to job search. I could not afford my own phone when I was on welfare. I needed those dimes to make calls!

Bus or train fare to interview for jobs. I could not afford a car or insurance while on welfare.

Things that food stamps did not pay for, such as toilet paper, toothpaste, etc.

Maybe the system is different now; I don't even know how much it costs to use a pay phone these days.

Old 03-18-2011, 09:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gobrien View Post
Newsflash, don't assume people are drug abusing alcoholics just because they are receiving assistance.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:00 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
The world is larger and more complex than you're aware of.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 01Snake View Post
Nevermind the fact that the money you withdraw from your bank is YOUR money. Not some government handout to those living of the rest of us.
Deflection. If you've, even once, used the ATM to withdraw more than $20 at a time, you should realize that how foolish the idea to restrict would be to have money in the account but can't access it when needed.

Old 03-18-2011, 10:01 AM

4,061 posts, read 9,884,261 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fox Terrier View Post
I was on welfare for a year or so back in the 60's.
I'm a long way from that now!

However, some things cash may be needed for (from my experience) are:

Pay phone to job search. I could not afford my own phone when I was on welfare. I needed those dimes to make calls!

Bus or train fare to interview for jobs. I could not afford a car or insurance while on welfare.

Things that food stamps did not pay for, such as toilet paper, toothpaste, etc.

Maybe the system is different now; I don't even know how much it costs to use a pay phone these days.
Pay phones are being phased out and the card could be used like a debit card to buy toothpaste, but it just seems to be excessive micromanagement and there are still places that don't take debit cards due to the fees involved. A popular discount grocery store chain doesn't take debit to cut costs, and don't people on a limited budget need to shop at lower cost establishments?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies