Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 02:21 PM

2,514 posts, read 1,989,947 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by InformedConsent View Post
Exactly! The unions made a HUGE mistake pitting themselves against the taxpayers. The fed up taxpayers vastly outnumber public union members.
The problem is too much debt and not enough income. Government budgets were built on the debt bubble and are unsustainable. What we need is more income to support the bigger bloated government(s). Freeze government spending for ten years and then up minimum wage by 4X. The resulting inflation will down size government nicely.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 05:31 PM

1,530 posts, read 1,534,889 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
The teachers agreed to pay more for their pensions and health insurance benefits. Yes, public workers tend to have better benefit plans than private sector workers. However, a key reason of that is due to the lower actual salary pay-scale (at every level of education public salaries are lower than private salaries).

On top of that teacher pensions are 48% of top pay after 30 years. So it generally puts teachers in the range of perhaps $35,000-$40,0000 pensions. Hardly the life of luxury. The highest paid, those whose pensions are the highest % of their top salary, and those with the largest pensions were all excluded from this.

Teachers whose pensions generally top out in the $35,000 or so range you go after as too much, but police and state troopers who have pensions of double that nope.
You seem to not understand, we the taxpayers pay 100% of their pensions, at $57.00 for every $1.00 they put towards it.

So if they put $25.00 monthly toward their pension after 30 years they would have $522,000.00 to retire on. If they put $50.00 toward it they would have $1,044,000.00. Let's not forget the SS check they will also recieve. I'd say they are in much better shape then the people that are funding them.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:50 PM

22,214 posts, read 19,507,211 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by UpNort View Post
You seem to not understand, we the taxpayers pay 100% of their pensions, at $57.00 for every $1.00 they put towards it.

So if they put $25.00 monthly toward their pension after 30 years they would have $522,000.00 to retire on. If they put $50.00 toward it they would have $1,044,000.00. Let's not forget the SS check they will also recieve. I'd say they are in much better shape then the people that are funding them.
Incorrect, the $522,000 and $1,044,000 is simply made up numbers. After 30 years teachers can a pension that is equal to 48% of their top yearly salary. Looking around at that data you will see the average teacher salary is in the $50,000 range with highest paid teachers tend to top out in the 70's in most areas, some a little higher, some a little lower. So a teacher topping out and lets say $75,000, would then get a yearly pension of $36,000 provided they had 30 years or more of service.

Old 03-21-2011, 05:50 PM

3,807 posts, read 4,281,924 times
Quote:
TOKEN GESTURE---I'd say it will add up to alot of money and small town Wisconsin will be NOW able to look at their budgets without fearing or waiting to see HOW MUCH MORE they have to squeeze out of their people to PLEASE the state workers unions.

School Districts Could Save Nearly 300 Million Dollars Thanks to Budget Repair Bill | Media Trackers
Its a token gesture in the grand scheme of WI budget. Again, you don't look at the facts: POLICE and FIRE make up the greatest portion of the state budget; yet they aren't touched? Why?

Collective bargaining should be ended, you said, for public workers. Why not for the police officers and firefighters? Simple. They donated large amounts of money to Walker's campaign. You, nor any other supporter of Walker, have even addressed it. You conviently overlook it.

The fact is simple: Walker is snowballing the world, into thinking he is tough. This little act is making a small dent into the overall budget.

Same is happening here in California. The world wants pension reforms. California's budget is 26 BILLION in the hole (its actually more like 30 billion) and pension reform, at best, will save the state 4 billion. That is still 22 billion in the red. Where is the rest of the money going to come from?

NO ONE, including you and Walker, want to make the hard, tough, nasty decisions. Education, social, and other entitlement programs MUST BE CUT, along with tax increases, to balance the budget in WI. YOU and Walker WILL NOT DO THAT.

You are making a token gesture, by screwing over a few people and saying: See. Were doing something. You are throwing a drop of water, into the Pacific Ocean and saying: Were doing something.

Old 03-21-2011, 08:25 PM

20,702 posts, read 12,560,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
Its a token gesture in the grand scheme of WI budget. Again, you don't look at the facts: POLICE and FIRE make up the greatest portion of the state budget; yet they aren't touched? Why?

Collective bargaining should be ended, you said, for public workers. Why not for the police officers and firefighters? Simple. They donated large amounts of money to Walker's campaign. You, nor any other supporter of Walker, have even addressed it. You conviently overlook it.
Funny how they don't have a problem with that but only the teachers.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donna-501 View Post
Funny how they don't have a problem with that but only the teachers.
No. Not funny. It shows THEIR true colors. They are liars, cheats, etc. They want a "balanced budget," however, they don't want to make the hard, tough, decisions to balance it. They want to say they did, hence this BS Walker stunt. And it is BS; nothing more. They want to stand up, say they made the tough choices and stood up for "the people." They have not.

And believe me. I am as conservative as they get. Moreover, I am a police officer and yet, lets be fair about this. THEY are trying to balance the budget, which is futile, on the backs of teachers, public works, etc and say its for the "common good." It is a LIE. It is BS and WILL NOT do anything for the state.

Rally, throw your flags around and be happy. Years from now, when things are worse, remember: This made your little cities better. When gridlock occurs and you call for help, and no one comes, remember: Collective bargaining for public employee's should be banned.

Just remember persons of WI. When you go to get that building addition and its 1/2" off. And the building inspector says: "Sorry. Its not to code. Rebuild it." YOU are to blame. He/she is thinking, "*********. I have to work longer and harder, because you are a moron." You will pay. When you want your drivers license or any other such item. It will take MONTHS to get it; if you do. It will be lost, misplaced, etc.

When you screw with people's money, their paychecks, they will push back. And, those public employee's have an awful lot of power. Remember this, when you are sitting in the county jail, for an upaid traffic ticket, you never got the notice for. Oh yes, the ticket you got, but the underpaid, screwed over court clerk "lost it." Yep. Complain then. When you are losing hours to your family, work, etc sitting in jail.

I am sitting back and waiting for the fireworks to begin.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:31 AM

1,530 posts, read 1,534,889 times
That sure was a mouthful coming from a police officer.

Their is alot of other things going on to balance our budget, I guess you didn't look into that.

It's easier to rave and rant what you are being spoonfed instead of researching the facts.

My sympathies to anyone you are investigating, the truth will be what you percieve it and not facts.

Old 03-22-2011, 12:37 AM

Quote:
That sure was a mouthful coming from a police officer.

Their is alot of other things going on to balance our budget, I guess you didn't look into that.

It's easier to rave and rant what you are being spoonfed instead of researching the facts.

My sympathies to anyone you are investigating, the truth will be what you percieve it and not facts.
And its easy for you rant, without answering and/or discussing why your beloved Walker, hasn't stopped collective bargaining for police and fire?

Of course you won't. You won't talk about that. You will, as per usual attack me. You have no clue about me.

Look into your own house and thoughts. Answer a simple question: WHY haven't YOU and Walker taken on the police and fire unions? I GURANTEE you won't answer the question, except to attack me.

You are a liar and a fraud; just like Walker.

Old 03-24-2011, 01:13 PM

22,229 posts, read 17,882,592 times
May go to Wisc SC now.

Wisconsin Appeals Court Opts Against Ruling Over Union Law - FoxNews.com

Old 03-24-2011, 02:44 PM

89,239 posts, read 44,979,798 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil306 View Post
When you screw with people's money, their paychecks, they will push back.
Yep. That's exactly what they did to Alvarez in Florida. He approved union sweetheart contracts for public employees and increased taxes to pay for it:
http://www.city-data.com/forum/18304182-post25.html

88% of the voters angrily ousted him from his elected office.

I'll remined everyone, again... a WI tax watchdog group is compiling a list of the unions and elected officials slamming union sweetheart contracts before the law takes effect. Those sweetheart deals will force extra costs onto the taxpayers. That will all come out in the next election cycle. When WI residents are angered yet again by skyrocketing tax bills, it will be extremely easy to cast blame exactly where it belongs.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies