Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-21-2011, 09:39 AM

73,014 posts, read 62,607,656 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I agree to a point. I grew up overseas and went to an international school (people from all over the world). It wasn't till I moved back to the U.S. that I saw racism, bullying, etc. It simply wouldn't have occurred to us at my international school.

However, as a young adult, I purposely went to a particular place to learn and work with a specific race of people for a period of three years. In those three years, I came to totally loathe and despise that culture...it stood for so many things I couldn't stand...that educational and vocational EXPOSURE to that race and culture made me racist against them today.

So it cuts both ways.
Then I could argue this. I have had alot of bad experiences with White people. In fact, I typed them out in post #51, the same exact post that you replied to but the first part of it was basically ignored. I went through some very horrible things. In middle school and high school I was exposed around White people who did some horrible things. I don't use this as a reason to be racist against White people or to hate White people. I realized I was in a bad place to live. I have moved out of that place and I am living somewhere else. I have learned how to take everyone individually. I do it because I don't want someone generalizing me.

And here is another question: Where were you working and what kind of environment was it? That could the majority of the problem. If you worked in a business office environment with some African-Americans, that would be different, as there would be a different culture in the business world.

My apartment complex and my university can be used as an example. I see many Hispanic men in my apartment complex who dress and behave live the "stereotypical Hispanic gang member". I have a feeling most of them are NOT gang members, but just dress the type. In my university, I see Hispanic men who carry themselves like students, who speak English. Some of these people are my friends. Quite a change in environments.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-21-2011, 09:52 AM

5,562 posts, read 5,682,859 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where does racism start?

A room full of 3 and 4 year old children and there is no racism.

Do or do not people, kids and and even animals know the difference between colors. I can tell you this people pick what they like, from color to a persons attitude to anything else that they will interact with. Patterns we form OP based on life experiences and then hold individual based decisions on who we will interact with or reserve judgment for. Someone who is acting like a "stupid blonde" may not be stupid and in fact quite smart but with society and experiences we all might hold falsehood and other sexist and or racist ideas. When you live long enough on this planet you come to realize the differences in cultures, attitudes, and individual and unique people each person is.

The less we focus on groups, races and racism its to the point where one day people will see individuals who they dislike or enjoy the company of we might not have a need for the term racism.

Like if I see a group of black people at the movie theater acting loud, yelling at the movie screen and causing a disturbance I will more then likely hate that group of people and not the race.
If this seems to happen on a regular bases from black people in movie theaters and less from white people is that culture problem or a respect for others around you problem.
Just think everyone is subject to their OP based on their own personal history with cultures and upbringing. Like some people are loud, annoying and litter all over the floor and don't care is that a race problem or a bad parenting problem which just happens to be part of a culture of respect of personal and public property.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:53 AM

3,004 posts, read 3,886,286 times
Maybe a white kid who has been taught to treat all races equally learns it when he goes to school and gets attacked by a gang of black kids for no other reason than that he is white. That could probably color your attitudes for a lifetime.

Old 03-21-2011, 09:59 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
Maybe a white kid who has been taught to treat all races equally learns it when he goes to school and gets attacked by a gang of black kids for no other reason than that he is white. That could probably color your attitudes for a lifetime.

I have to agree.

The black community starts the racist overtones against the White Americans at a very young age.

The most racist people I have encountered in life, have been black. That does not mean I have to be racist towards them in any way.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:05 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,818,277 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by chattypatty View Post
A gang of white kids attacking a black kid, or a white kid attacked by a gang of black, for their color of the skin CAN affect perceptions, but it still doesn't warrant a "conversion" into racism. Social, political, economic, religious, parental upbringing/nurturing play a huge role. In fact, it is usually building up of perceptions over time.

Take caste system among Hindus, for example. Two kids couldn't care less about what caste they belong to, but over time, religious and social constraints can make one feel superior over the other, or one feel threatened of the other, both leading to societal tension. And parents play a huge role, as does the rest of the society. Ignorance and illiteracy are key, however.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LibertyandJusticeforAll View Post
Do or do not people, kids and and even animals know the difference between colors. I can tell you this people pick what they like, from color to a persons attitude to anything else that they will interact with. Patterns we form OP based on life experiences and then hold individual based decisions on who we will interact with or reserve judgment for. Someone who is acting like a "stupid blonde" may not be stupid and in fact quite smart but with society and experiences we all might hold falsehood and other sexist and or racist ideas. When you live long enough on this planet you come to realize the differences in cultures, attitudes, and individual and unique people each person is.

The less we focus on groups, races and racism its to the point where one day people will see individuals who they dislike or enjoy the company of we might not have a need for the term racism.

Like if I see a group of black people at the movie theater acting loud, yelling at the movie screen and causing a disturbance I will more then likely hate that group of people and not the race.
If this seems to happen on a regular bases from black people in movie theaters and less from white people is that culture problem or a respect for others around you problem.
Just think everyone is subject to their OP based on their own personal history with cultures and upbringing. Like some people are loud, annoying and litter all over the floor and don't care is that a race problem or a bad parenting problem which just happens to be part of a culture of respect of personal and public property
I am not going to say that I don't see this behavior sometimes from groups of African-Americans. That being said, what location do you live in? Where I live, I see some of the same loud behavior on campus from White college students. I also think of some of the college sports riots I have seen footage of. I have seen mostly White students doing the rioting after some championships. Some of the same behavior has occurred after Super Bowl championships and NHL games, specifically Montreal.
I used to live in an apartment complex populated mainly by young people, and especially college students. It was more upscale than most apartment complexes. I can recall times when I would be cycling in(I ride a bicycle) and some people would yell things at me. I have a pink bicycle helmet(go figure). Some people yelled at me one night "Flavor-Flav". To say the least I was a bit disturbed by the yelling. Vast majority of the time, it was young White men doing this.
As for what you might see from some African-Americans, here is a question I have for you. On the occasion that you might see African-Americans in public behaving courteously and in a polite manner, where do you see this most often?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
A gang of white kids attacking a black kid, or a white kid attacked by a gang of black, for their color of the skin CAN affect perceptions, but it still doesn't warrant a "conversion" into racism. Social, political, economic, religious, parental upbringing/nurturing play a huge role. In fact, it is usually building up of perceptions over time.

Take caste system among Hindus, for example. Two kids couldn't care less about what caste they belong to, but over time, religious and social constraints can make one feel superior over the other, or one feel threatened of the other, both leading to societal tension. And parents play a huge role, as does the rest of the society. Ignorance and illiteracy are key, however.
That is what I have been trying to say. This is why I have been giving my experiences on this thread. I have been the Black kid who was jumped by White kids. I was shot by a White teenager in my subdivision. He had a paintball gun and shot me in broad daylight. I was 11 years old and I was coming off of the bus. Do I go into a conversion into racism? No. I feel that being a racist is horrible, no matter who is being like that.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:15 AM
miu

17,769 posts, read 40,171,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
Where does racism start?

A room full of 3 and 4 year old children and there is no racism.
About what's happening right now with negative stereotypes... I would place the majority of blame on the shoulders of anyone who is an ill behaving adult. This means that if a large number of black people are behaving poorly, then it causes others to view the rest of the black community in a bad light. And the same goes for Asians, Hispanics and whites... if any group of people is behaving and acting in a shameful way of course the rest of society is going to want to avoid that segment of the population, and we start analyzing what the common denominators of that group are... skin colour, nationality, religion, neighborhood.... and we use logic to help us stay away from those losers.

And this is why there is currently negative stereotyping of Muslims. Thanks to the terrible actions of the terrorist Jihadists, much of the rest of the world community is concerned and afraid of associating with Muslims.

This is about cause and effect. There are consequences for every action, good or bad.

Old 03-21-2011, 10:20 AM

78,863 posts, read 46,624,265 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post
About what's happening right now with negative stereotypes... I would place the majority of blame on the shoulders of anyone who is an ill behaving adult. This means that if a large number of black people are behaving poorly, then it causes others to view the rest of the black community in a bad light. And the same goes for Asians, Hispanics and whites... if any group of people is behaving and acting in a shameful way of course the rest of society is going to want to avoid that segment of the population, and we start analyzing what the common denominators of that group are... skin colour, nationality, religion, neighborhood.... and we use logic to help us stay away from those losers.

And this is why there is currently negative stereotyping of Muslims. Thanks to the terrible actions of the terrorist Jihadists, much of the rest of the world community is concerned and afraid of associating with Muslims.

This is about cause and effect. There are consequences for every action, good or bad.

You mean they do it to themselves?

To make point?

Old 03-21-2011, 10:21 AM

14,848 posts, read 8,208,835 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by miu View Post

Hey atheist-humanist, answer this question.. Are all humans equal?

Secondly, have you ever actually read the Quran? Do you know anything about the life of Muhammad? Do you know anything about the Caliphates? Jizyah tax? Do you ever question why the birthplace of Islam(Saudi Arabia) is where most of the suicide bombers came from? What exactly do you think true Islam is?

People like yourself, running around with your idealistic view of the world, believing that you are one of the few enlightened people in the world, sickens me. Because you are the most ignorant amongst us, you just don't realize it.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies