Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 03-24-2011, 07:36 PM

659 posts, read 1,761,873 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Say, could you fly on out to Austin TX and convince those living there that they shouldn't care either ?

We already got one empty train that goes nowhere and they want to build a second.
Hey fellow Austinite - um, so quick thing - red line has tripled ridership in the last 2 months - per local newsies.

And... those of us in the burbs who work downtown have no way of getting there without spending an hour in traffic and would very much enjoy a second line.

And scene.

Backontopicnowthanks.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-24-2011, 08:11 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,213,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tom77falcons View Post
So you think if the entire gas tax revenue was used for roads and highways the cost of such infrastructure would be covered? Wrong. Do you have any idea how much other tax money is used for vehicle transportation? Put up some facts to prove his post is drivel.
It's been known information for anyone following politics for the last 20 years. They take money out of the trust fund for mass transit projects constantly.

If you are every to become an informed citizen, you are going to have to start doing some research before embarrasing yourself like you did above. I am not your milch cow.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:13 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,961,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
I guess Dallas is ok. Couldn't live there personally....it's a cultural wasteland. Miles and miles of nothing but the same crappy looking chain restaurants and strip malls. And all of the neighborhoods look just alike too.

But it seems like a bucolic enough place to raise a family, if that's the type of thing you're looking for.
Couldn't agree more. There is not a decent city in Texas except for San Antonio and Austin. Dallas is just a bunch of buildings with no character or charm whatsoever. Come to the NE to see a real city.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:15 PM

1,811 posts, read 1,213,004 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Oerdin View Post
I know you weren't addressing me but I wanted to chime in to tell you you're delusional. We've gone over this topic in a half dozen threads over the years and the hard truth is, no, gas taxes don't even come close to paying the maintenance of current roads much less the construction costs of roads. Depending on the state user fees (in the form of registration fees and gasoline taxes) pay for between 40%-60% of the cost of road maintenance with the remainder coming out of state general funds or from Federal subsidies.

Just to pay for road maintenance we would have to double the gas tax and the car registration fees. That would still leave tax payers stuck paying for 100% of the road construction costs but I'll settle for at least removing the maintenance subsidies by making car drivers actually pay for the roads they use.
More propoganda from the bleachers. It doesn't make sense to take money from the transportation fund from gas and tire excise taxes to fund mass transit, only to take money out of the general fund to build roads.

No, I am certain you are wrong. You probably swallowed some left wing psycho-Kool-Aid. I suggest Ipecac.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:19 PM

12,623 posts, read 13,961,959 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffington View Post
It's been known information for anyone following politics for the last 20 years. They take money out of the trust fund for mass transit projects constantly.

If you are every to become an informed citizen, you are going to have to start doing some research before embarrasing yourself like you did above. I am not your milch cow.
Nice deflection. The trust fund, even if not "raided", doesn't come close to paying for roads and highways. And I never said you were my milch cow, whatever that is.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:22 PM

31,293 posts, read 20,784,755 times
Quote:
Like your paying your own way driving a car. Everyone in this country subsidizes highways and gasoline. I call bulls....

I think the gasoline tax is quite sufficient to pay for highways....

It even pays for other forms of transportation.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:24 PM

Quote:
So you think if the entire gas tax revenue was used for roads and highways the cost of such infrastructure would be covered? Wrong. Do you have any idea how much other tax money is used for vehicle transportation? Put up some facts to prove his post is drivel.

Link to your data ????

Old 03-24-2011, 08:25 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,649,131 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roadking2003 View Post
I think the gasoline tax is quite sufficient to pay for highways....

It even pays for other forms of transportation.
With gas prices going out of sight, don't you want another option?

Old 03-24-2011, 08:27 PM

Quote:
Couldn't agree more. There is not a decent city in Texas except for San Antonio and Austin. Dallas is just a bunch of buildings with no character or charm whatsoever. Come to the NE to see a real city.

I'm sure you would get millions of folks who would disagree with you. So you just stay in the NE and the rest of us will be happy.

I've spent a lot of time in the NE and have no interest in that wasteland whatsoever.

Old 03-24-2011, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
With gas prices going out of sight, don't you want another option?

There is no other option for me. I don't go to the same place every day.

So even if gas is $15 per gallon, I don't have another option. Mass transit will never be an option.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies