Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-27-2011, 07:43 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by MI-IRISH View Post
Sounds to me like you couldn't make it in the union there fella,i hear a lot of animosity,oh and the educated thing,i hold 2 different degree's had some work published,and i work with a few hands that also hold degree's,so that arguement is out the window bub,like i said,funny how jealousy rears its head and makes you show your true colors,funny.
Considering your only 2 posts in this thread I've come to the conclusion that you MUST be kidding. I would LOVE to see some work that you've "published".
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-27-2011, 07:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Sure, let strikers families have foodstamps while the breadwinner is on strike. Just as long as they pay the benefits back once they return to work.
Why? If the unions are collecting dues and the unions are calling the strike let the UNION feed their members and families during a strike. What happened to all that solidarity talk? It's a union after all, take care of your own people.

Old 03-27-2011, 07:53 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,716,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Sure, let strikers families have foodstamps while the breadwinner is on strike. Just as long as they pay the benefits back once they return to work.
Maybe unions should add in a kind of strike insurance into their dues. That way there will be money for the union members for this.

Union workers already make a lot more than other workers so it's a bit absurd that they expect other taxpayers to provide for them whenever they feel like going on strike.

Food stamps should not be given to the able-bodied able-minded anyhow. It's one big over-used welfare handout.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:01 AM

1,700 posts, read 3,425,174 times
If you are willingly not going to work, you should not get foodstamps. Period. You have a job, but you choose not to go because you want more money, you do not get food stamps.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Maybe unions should add in a kind of strike insurance into their dues. That way there will be money for the union members for this.

Union workers already make a lot more than other workers so it's a bit absurd that they expect other taxpayers to provide for them whenever they feel like going on strike.

Food stamps should not be given to the able-bodied able-minded anyhow. It's one big over-used welfare handout.
Able-minded and union member really don't really go together very well.

Old 03-27-2011, 08:11 AM

17,531 posts, read 24,704,444 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Only 3rd world populations have their children help out? Really? That would be shocking to Americans with farms.

How would children spending more time with their parents raising them rather than a paid surrogate be a bad thing? Or, are family values and children learning the value of work in general also "3rd world" in your opinion too?

disclosure: I had my own lawn mowing business at the age of 12 so that I could buy things I wanted. My parents didn't give me everything I wanted, I was expected to EARN it.
Helping your parents out isn't labor unless you are working 12-16 hours a day in your parents Coal Mine. In 1900 American kids worked in the mines like that until UNIONS put a halt to it. The Great Leap Backward that the Koch Owned Party has undertaken willl transform America into a third world labor force while the good jobs go to Asia

Old 03-27-2011, 08:16 AM

327 posts, read 968,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Able-minded and union member really don't really go together very well.
Backspace - You have stated that you are highly skilled and highly talented. What are your educational credentials? I'm curious.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Backspace - You have stated that you are highly skilled and highly talented. What are your educational credentials? I'm curious.
I have a Masters in EE and a Bachelors in ME. I'm one of about 350 licensed master programmers in the US that deal with a certain type of computer controlled system that we design and install.

I've continued my education over the years in very specific training courses that pertain to my career in addition to hobbies like getting my local electrician's licenses and an associates degree from my local community college in diesel engine repair mainly because I like working on generators. How about yourself?

Old 03-27-2011, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boompa View Post
Helping your parents out isn't labor unless you are working 12-16 hours a day in your parents Coal Mine. In 1900 American kids worked in the mines like that until UNIONS put a halt to it. The Great Leap Backward that the Koch Owned Party has undertaken willl transform America into a third world labor force while the good jobs go to Asia
Can you give me some info on what you're talking about because I have no clue where you're getting some of this BS... please nothing from Huffington Post, Think Progress, the Daily Kos or any of that other junk including Fox of the Blaze. Show me some real legislation or something like that.

Old 03-27-2011, 09:22 AM

9,319 posts, read 18,751,508 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
This bill will go nowhere.

We could have the same arguments about women who continue to have kids with 2,3,4 different guys and just apply for more "assistance" without having the means to take care of the kids. On the one hand, these women (and men) should stand on their own and be totally responsible for the care and providing for these kids. On the other hand, if they don't get assistance, the kids are the ones who get hurt here - with little food, little guidance, etc. And that is how this bill will be framed by the other side - i.e., the Republicans want kids to starve to death when income is lowered for someone fighting for basic civil rights.
It the union employee does not want his kids to starve to death then perhaps he/she should not go out on strike. There are plenty of soup kitchens in this country that can feed them. Shouldnt they also have some savings on hand? You would think. I am tired of protectionist shoring up the incompetent bolt turners in this country and it is time to even the playing field like Obama wants to do. They can have a carpenters "living" wage like some of us have been reduced to.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies