Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM

9,727 posts, read 9,732,136 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wayland Woman View Post
You're trying to re-write history. Labor unions were created to get employers to treat all workers the same. Having a pay structure that paid according to nationality and color was not fair for anyone.

As for the OP topic: Whether or not you quality to get food stamps to feed your family should in no way be tied to your political beliefs and your rights to free speech. That's a dangerous precedence to set for any social or federal program. What next? You can't vote if you don't vote for a certain party?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Opyelie View Post
Sure, let strikers families have foodstamps while the breadwinner is on strike. Just as long as they pay the benefits back once they return to work.
I will agree to that if you do the same for people getting extended unemployment benefits.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 03-28-2011, 11:10 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
LOL! This is Awesome!

LOVE THIS!

Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM

20,462 posts, read 12,387,859 times
Labor Unions were created for good reason. in many cases they have either outlived their usefulness, or have changed their mission from what it ought to be into something entirely different.

Most of the things Unions were needed for, we now have EPA, OSHA and EEOC to take care of.

Some of the things Unions should be doing they dont do well, and other things they should not be doing at all, they major in.

down with unions! the sooner they go, the sooner real organization can take place that will help workers in the right ways.

Old 03-28-2011, 11:13 AM

44,882 posts, read 33,280,580 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Why do you continue to reply?

Your post states, "therefore unless you change your mind"
This statement is indictive of intolerance (closeminded.)

Really, your opinions on unions matter naught to me. You are entitled to them. I am just surprised, with your level of education, that you have had to resort to slander, hatred, and confusion instead of logic, clarity and facts in writing your posts to present your case against them.
Back when I first realized what unions were and what they did and how I was all for them, however then I had been studying in college about them and their need during the latter 19th century. At that time I was a young liberal thinking college student. I thought I found that unions were providing food to their members during strikes and that that was an honorable thing.

Now I hear that public employee unions are unhappy because their members can't get Food Stamps during their work stoppages. They want the tax payers to pay the members and to feed their families while they aren't working. When workers have a monopoly of organization and are paid by the public their leaders should be using union funds to keep them alive during strikes. Any kind of thinking other than that is too wrong headed for me to understand. When you are trying to use work stoppage to get your way it is sad to expect the people you are striking against to feed your family.

Old 03-28-2011, 12:03 PM

6,612 posts, read 12,843,722 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Why? If the unions are collecting dues and the unions are calling the strike let the UNION feed their members and families during a strike. What happened to all that solidarity talk? It's a union after all, take care of your own people.
Actually it was sarcasm, because you and I both know that even if they were allowed foodstamps while on strike they'd find some way to weasel out of the payback provision.

I agree with you, if they strike then they need to either provide their own funds for fod etc while on strike or the union needs to, but we know with the way unions are these days where only the bigwigs in the unions matter, that's unlikely to happen either.

Old 03-28-2011, 01:54 PM

7,473 posts, read 4,018,818 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
Labor Unions were created for good reason. in many cases they have either outlived their usefulness, or have changed their mission from what it ought to be into something entirely different.

Most of the things Unions were needed for, we now have EPA, OSHA and EEOC to take care of.

Some of the things Unions should be doing they dont do well, and other things they should not be doing at all, they major in.

down with unions! the sooner they go, the sooner real organization can take place that will help workers in the right ways.

apparently you missed my post...........

Old 03-28-2011, 02:57 PM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
people that think unions are working in the best interest of the workers they represent are obviously getting paid WAY more than they deserve... you're in the bottom 5% and should be happy to get paid anything.

Old 03-29-2011, 06:37 AM

327 posts, read 968,908 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
I have a Masters in EE and a Bachelors in ME. I'm one of about 350 licensed master programmers in the US that deal with a certain type of computer controlled system that we design and install.

I've continued my education over the years in very specific training courses that pertain to my career in addition to hobbies like getting my local electrician's licenses and an associates degree from my local community college in diesel engine repair mainly because I like working on generators. How about yourself?
Based on your posts, I have come to the conclusion that this post is wishful thinking.

Old 03-29-2011, 10:48 AM

13,815 posts, read 29,398,571 times
well I guess you called them out now didn't you? I know I would be fer sure

Old 03-29-2011, 11:17 AM

9,949 posts, read 8,855,128 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by smellykat View Post
Based on your posts, I have come to the conclusion that this post is wishful thinking.
I sincerely apologize if at some point I gave off the impression that I ever cared about your opinions, seriously. I'm stuck in a convention hall today working with a bunch of worthless mental midget union laborers and I'm not in the best mood, please accept my apology.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies