Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-01-2011, 07:29 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,011,091 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTexan View Post
Your rage is misdirected. Be mad at the murders, not a burner of paper.
Why not both?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-01-2011, 07:34 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,752,928 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by justNancy View Post
Why not both?
Because here in America one can burn a flag as well as a Bible or a Koran under our laws. They didn't hurt anyone in the process of their act.

Are you going to let some extremists in a foreign country dictate your freedoms ? I sure as hell don't plan to.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:38 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,449,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
ay que bueno madrita de pommy

andele bailam conmigo
Besitos! Bailamos!

Old 04-01-2011, 07:39 PM

39,950 posts, read 26,685,942 times
Quote:
So, in other words, since we have Freedom of Speech, we should have a total disregard for human life? This man is not a true Christian. He was told he'd endanger U.S. soldiers and innocent civilians. If it was important for him to do this for some kind of religious reason, he could have burned the Qur'an without turning it into a media event. He does not speak for Christians and Jews. He's only exhibiting hate, so he obviously never read the Bible.

"Love is patient, love is kind. It does not envy, it does not boast, it is not proud. It is not rude, it is not self-seeking, it is not easily angered, it keeps no record of wrong-doings."
With all do respect, bullchit. Jones was standing up to these superstitious nutjobs who see god in their little book and make a habit of slaughtering innocent people. He had the right idea. For every Islamic attack, burn 10,000 Korans. For every person murdered in the name of Islam, destroy a mosque. It sucks to have to say it, but that seems to be all these superstitious creatures understand. We've tried pandering to them, we've tried building them mosques, we've helped overthrow brutal dictators and freed muslim people. Yet people keep killing in the name of that religion. Yes, buy all accounts, it's a small portion of the Islamic community, but it begs the question. Does Islam simply attract murderous barbarians, or does it turn normal people into them?

edit to add, I appologize for my tone, if not the sentiment. I usually try to keep things pretty polite and respectful. This latest slaughter in the name of allah just has me a bit POed and off my game.

Last edited by Toyman at Jewel Lake; 04-01-2011 at 07:51 PM..

Old 04-01-2011, 07:40 PM

14,268 posts, read 19,011,091 times
Quote:
Because here in America one can burn a flag as well as a Bible or a Koran under our laws. They didn't hurt anyone in the process of their act.

Are you going to let some extremists in a foreign country dictate your freedoms ? I sure as hell don't plan to.
So, as long as you or your family weren't injured, I guess it's okay.

If someone told me a neighbor I didn't like was mentally unstable and suicidal and pleaded with me not to upset him by reminding him he lost his job, his dog died, his girlfriend left him, etc., etc. Should I knock on his door and yell, "You're a loser! Nobody loves you! Your girlfriend left you because you're fat, ugly, and stupid!" just because I don't like the man and he's an a-hole? If he went into his bedroom and hanged himself, I guess you're saying even though I was told it could lead to his suicide, I wouldn't be responsible or be guilty of depraved indifference to human life.

That's where we disagree. I believe we need to be held responsible for our actions. He was told that burning the Qur'an would endanger the lives of innocent people and he did it anyway.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:45 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,752,928 times
Quote:
So, as long as you or your family weren't injured, I guess it's okay.

If someone told me a neighbor I didn't like was mentally unstable and suicidal and pleaded with me not to upset him by reminding him he lost his job, his dog died, his girlfriend left him, etc., etc. Should I knock on his door and yell, "You're a loser! Nobody loves you! Your girlfriend left you because you're fat, ugly, and stupid!" just because I don't like the man and he's an a-hole? If he went into his bedroom and hanged himself, I guess you're saying even though I was told it could lead to his suicide, I wouldn't be responsible or be guilty of depraved indifference to human life.

That's where we disagree. I believe we need to be held responsible for our actions. He was told that burning the Qur'an would endanger the lives of innocent people and he did it anyway.
Fine..what is the punishment for "burning a book" ?
Because that is ALL he did. HE didn't murder anybody.

Now..what are you going to do with murderers who are in a foreign country that will treat them as martyrs ? They would as soon kill you for accusing them of murder.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:47 PM

3,484 posts, read 2,880,900 times
Mentally unstable people belong in mental institutions not outside murdering people. No civilized society believes otherwise.

Tell me I can't burn a flag and I just want to set it afire even more. Same principle here. Muslims who tell me I must respect their book or they can kill people just make me want to burn their books even more.

The pastor has no responsibility at all for what happened. None whatsoever. I can't believe this is even an issue. Quite honestly I can't imagine my fellow liberals excusing someone who killed people because someone burned a bible. The same applies here. Let's not infantilize Muslims by making excuses for their worst members.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:53 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,449,988 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Eleanora1 View Post
Mentally unstable people belong in mental institutions not outside murdering people. No civilized society believes otherwise.

Tell me I can't burn a flag and I just want to set it afire even more. Same principle here. Muslims who tell me I must respect their book or they can kill people just make me want to burn their books even more.

The pastor has no responsibility at all for what happened. None whatsoever. I can't believe this is even an issue. Quite honestly I can't imagine my fellow liberals excusing someone who killed people because someone burned a bible. The same applies here. Let's not infantilize Muslims by making excuses for their worst members.
I disagree. That pastor, if he was well educated and following the news, would have known that burning the Quran would endager the lives of Americans. He is a self righteous idiot.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:54 PM

20,868 posts, read 23,652,732 times
No one is excusing those who murdered those in Afganistan. They will go to hell for what they did. But no one should give that Pastor a clean pass either. He knew he would get a response for what he did. He was doing nothing more than to get his 15 minutes of fame and he got what he wanted and then some. Too bad innocents died for it.

Old 04-01-2011, 07:55 PM

39,950 posts, read 26,685,942 times
Quote:
Fine..what is the punishment for "burning a book" ?
Because that is ALL he did. HE didn't murder anybody.

Now..what are you going to do with murderers who are in a foreign country that will treat them as martyrs ? They would as soon kill you for accusing them of murder.
If he burned a Koran (or any other book or property he owns) he might be guilty of air polution...can't think of anything else.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies