Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 02:21 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,214,198 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
And now the $10,000 question. How do you fight the irrational? Killing them all isn't our way. By definition, you can't reason with them. If you try to build them schools and educate them, they slaughter you for blastphomy. So, how do you fight it?

I maintain that humor and mockery is as good a way as any. Point at them and laugh at their antics, point out how foolish they are. In a way, that is what Jones did. Got any better solutions? I gotta admit, we've tried most everything else.

Again, I'm not the expert and cannot offer any magic cures for these kinds of psychological ills but being marginalized by their own is a step in the right direction. Defeating this ideology is a fight on many fronts and will take decades, at the very least, as it has gained firm footing in many parts of the world. In the long run, it die out just as did a similar kind of mentality of the Inquisitionists in the Middle Ages.

Humor and mockery are perceived as insults and heresy by these people and Pastor Terry's actions had not a trace of humor in them. He gained an enormous amount of attention and a lot of support from people who do not share any of his religious views. And probably got more than just a few donations and/or purchases from his website.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 02:37 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,880,765 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
This conclusion is based on a faulty premise, that there are no moderate muslims.

That's not factual.

Then you would not be a moderate.

Moderate muslims exist, and in significant numbers. Your premise is flawed.
Moderate Muslims won't support radical Muslims right?

So then this little storm in a teacup over a Koran being burned shouldn't matter,because moderate Muslims won't be so easily swayed to supporting radicals.

So the premise that such actions will influence those who are moderate into becoming radical is flawed.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:40 PM

Quote:
What you and Pastor ******* propose to do will not marginalize the radicals, it will radicalize the moderates.

It is stupid and wrong.
So the moderates can be so easily swayed to support murdering innocents by a Koran being burned?

I would have to argue that they are not moderate at all....

Old 04-06-2011, 02:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
If moderates can be radicalized so simply then they were always radicals.
My point exactly....you cannot be moderate and then be so easily swayed into supporting murder....you were already predisposed to being a radical...

Old 04-06-2011, 02:43 PM

16,545 posts, read 13,461,752 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post

I would have to argue that they are not moderate at all....
In all honesty, most aren't. They just pretend to be. The Koran allows them to lie about all sorts of things to further Islam. Just look at the so-called moderate muslim fathers who honor killed their daughters here in the US, or atleast tried to.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
The pastor probably would not be allowed into Afghanistan but if he were, he could still burn a Koran publicly , if he so chose. The difference is that burning the Koran over there would get his azz burned and beheaded in a heartbeat. He has no fear of that in this country because his rights to free speech are protected by law. Over there it isn't.
Yes Muslims seem to react in savage and barbarous ways....

But we should be nice to them because the moderate Muslims(those are the ones just cheering while you are beheaded,the radicals actually do the beheading) might become radicalised....

Old 04-06-2011, 02:47 PM

Quote:
I think we win in the long term...barring playing into their hands with propaganda stunts that serve their purposes more than ours!

With education, people will eventually stop believing the nonsense. It's no accident that radical Islam tends to take hold in populations that are not particularly educated.
Funny thing is,a LOT of the radical Muslims are very well educated....seems that it makes little difference.

It is a lie that the Radical Jihadists are ignorant goat rapers...oops herders.
I am not talking about the dumb as dirt jihadists that blow themselves up,I mean the leadership.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Yes Muslims seem to react in savage and barbarous ways....

But we should be nice to them because the moderate Muslims(those are the ones just cheering while you are beheaded,the radicals actually do the beheading) might become radicalised....

It isn't that simple. I'll leave it to more insightful minds than my own on what is the best way to fight radical jihadism. Suggest you do the same.

Old 04-06-2011, 02:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cunucu Beach View Post
It isn't that simple. I'll leave it to more insightful minds than my own on what is the best way to fight radical jihadism. Suggest you do the same.
Yeah.....that hasn't been working out that well has it?

Funny thing was,almost every Muslim nation was conquered or controlled by western powers in the past,and this sort of thing didn't happen back then.

When your enemy ONLY understands brute force,perhaps brute force is the answer?

Old 04-06-2011, 03:54 PM

Quote:
Yeah.....that hasn't been working out that well has it?

Funny thing was,almost every Muslim nation was conquered or controlled by western powers in the past,and this sort of thing didn't happen back then.

When your enemy ONLY understands brute force,perhaps brute force is the answer?
If you think you have better ideas, take them to those in charge of policy and decision making. Perhaps you can show them a better way than what they are now doing.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies