Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-06-2011, 02:42 AM

425 posts, read 654,556 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
So spare me your faux outrage and predictable "you must love the muslims" nonsense. What this pastor did was unethical, period, and contrary to our goals. Rushdie wrote the Satanic Verses in an entirely different context. And he's been misinterpreted to a degree. There's no misinterpretation of what the pastor did. It was intended to inflame.
When the debate veers off into correcting spelling errors and legalistic nitpicking about intent, that's the surest sign it's going nowhere.

But I'll take this thread and try to spin it into something more substantive.

First, I've not accused you of loving muslim terrorists, but I do accuse you of having a dangerously ambivalent attitude to our fundamental rights.

You suggest that our right to express an opinion is circumscribed by ethical and intentional boundaries. So where does that put those who question any establishment? What about George Carlin (peace be upon him) or Frankie Boyle? Certainly their art is all about intentionally insulting religious sensibilities. Would you call them unethical? Would the "smart thing to do" be to stick to fart jokes, or is the restriction on religious insult limited only to Islam?

And what of intent? So Rushdie is allowed to incide murderous rage because his intent was to create a good story? And what do you know about his intent that the rest of us don't?

So we have Pastor Jones. It makes no difference who he is or what he does, as an American it's his right to nonviolently express his opinion. In fact, those of us who subscribe to Natural Law insist that every human being has this right. Ethics and intent absolutely do not change that.

Freedom of expression is the greatest fruit of the Enlightenment, and I don't have to tell you that Enlightenment values have created the greatest advances in human happiness and well-being in history. But that was only possible because at long last people were able to question, criticize, and yes, insult the Catholic Church. The result? The Church was proven to be both fallible and durable. No longer was the West held back by dogma, and people were able to live their faith as free men. In fact, that most Christian sects have adopted Enlightenment Values as their own is the greatest demonstration of how thorough the victory of Reason has been.

I argue in favour of Pastor Jones, not because I like to insult people or because he's an articulate guy, but Islam needs its own Enlightenment as well. God knows it's about time. This is why I'll say a thousand times "NO" to any suggestion that curtailing our right to express any idea we wish just to please a bunch of primitives will bring peace.

Peace will come and Islamists will be marginalised when and if Muslims can come to terms with the fallibility of their own faith. That isn't going to happen by tiptoeing around their feelings, abandoning our values or by pointing a gun at them.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-06-2011, 05:44 AM

19,567 posts, read 21,917,667 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strel View Post
This position is absolutist and unrealistic.

People in real life don't all into neat little categories, just to make it easy for you to label them and avoid any nuanced understanding.
I cannot support a radical ideology and still be a moderate....it just doesn't work.

I may think of myself as moderate,but supporting supporting a radical cause makes me a radical,albeit a radical not willing to actually do much.

Old 04-06-2011, 05:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
So the Islamist hoarde burns down a church because its congregation doesn't worship Allah. What's the smart choice for the Christian? Go Muslim?

Or some Mullah issues a fatwa that an author must die because of a work of fiction. What's the smart choice for Salman Rushdie? Write sitcoms?

Before you accuse me of hyperbole, the above scenarios are by no means hypothetical. One only need read the news.

Here's the point that many on the Postmodernist Left don't get: there is no appeasing Islamists. No matter how fervently one believes that all cultures are equally valid and no matter how long you pray to Gaia for peace, the the mere existence of the kuffar is reason enough drive the Islamist into a murderous rage.
Yup....

You cannot appease or satisfy those who do not believe in the same values as you....you can be used by them to further their cause but they care nothing for western principles.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:08 AM

57,404 posts, read 26,413,894 times
I guess Jones accomplshed his mission. I wonder if he had a relative that was killed in the riots, would he have thought differently about his actions.

"We cannot see the difference between that man in Florida and the American soldiers here," said Karimullah, a 25-year-old religious student who, like many Afghans, goes by one name and took part in Sunday's Kandahar protests. "They are killing our people here while in the U.S. they burn the Holy Quran. America just wants to humiliate the Muslim world."

Petraeus Says Quran Burning Endangers War Effort - WSJ.com

Old 04-06-2011, 07:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
"We cannot see the difference between that man in Florida and the American soldiers here," said Karimullah, a 25-year-old religious student who, like many Afghans, goes by one name and took part in Sunday's Kandahar protests. "They are killing our people here while in the U.S. they burn the Holy Quran. America just wants to humiliate the Muslim world."

Then there is no satisfying such people....unless we restrict our own freedoms to hopefully make them not murder innocent people....

Old 04-06-2011, 07:37 AM

425 posts, read 654,556 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Goodnight View Post
I guess Jones accomplshed his mission. I wonder if he had a relative that was killed in the riots, would he have thought differently about his actions.

Reality upload: they were rioting and killing well before Pastor Jones became a household name.

Old 04-06-2011, 07:39 AM

11,157 posts, read 29,406,638 times
Quote:
When the debate veers off into correcting spelling errors and legalistic nitpicking about intent, that's the surest sign it's going nowhere.

First, I've not accused you of loving muslim terrorists, but I do accuse you of having a dangerously ambivalent attitude to our fundamental rights.

You suggest that our right to express an opinion is circumscribed by ethical and intentional boundaries. So where does that put those who question any establishment? What about George Carlin (peace be upon him) or Frankie Boyle? Certainly their art is all about intentionally insulting religious sensibilities. Would you call them unethical? Would the "smart thing to do" be to stick to fart jokes, or is the restriction on religious insult limited only to Islam?

And what of intent? So Rushdie is allowed to incide murderous rage because his intent was to create a good story? And what do you know about his intent that the rest of us don't?

So we have Pastor Jones. It makes no difference who he is or what he does, as an American it's his right to nonviolently express his opinion. In fact, those of us who subscribe to Natural Law insist that every human being has this right. Ethics and intent absolutely do not change that.

Freedom of expression is the greatest fruit of the Enlightenment, and I don't have to tell you that Enlightenment values have created the greatest advances in human happiness and well-being in history. But that was only possible because at long last people were able to question, criticize, and yes, insult the Catholic Church. The result? The Church was proven to be both fallible and durable. No longer was the West held back by dogma, and people were able to live their faith as free men. In fact, that most Christian sects have adopted Enlightenment Values as their own is the greatest demonstration of how thorough the victory of Reason has been.

I argue in favour of Pastor Jones, not because I like to insult people or because he's an articulate guy, but Islam needs its own Enlightenment as well. God knows it's about time. This is why I'll say a thousand times "NO" to any suggestion that curtailing our right to express any idea we wish just to please a bunch of primitives will bring peace.

Peace will come and Islamists will be marginalised when and if Muslims can come to terms with the fallibility of their own faith. That isn't going to happen by tiptoeing around their feelings, abandoning our values or by pointing a gun at them.
+1 wow awsome post it won't let me rep you again but that sums it up perfectly

as being of scots-Canadian descent I say alba gu bràth

Last edited by GTOlover; 04-06-2011 at 08:35 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 07:56 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,634,448 times
Quote:

+1 Outstanding pownage.

Last edited by Calvinist; 04-06-2011 at 08:31 AM..

Old 04-06-2011, 07:57 AM

15,896 posts, read 12,028,365 times
Quote:
Reality upload: they were rioting and killing well before Pastor Jones became a household name.

DING DING DING! And those radical elements of Islam will continue to do so no matter what!

Old 04-06-2011, 07:58 AM

13,686 posts, read 20,852,286 times
Quote:

Well said!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies