Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-09-2011, 08:50 AM

2,673 posts, read 3,248,373 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speleothem View Post
Almost as powerful as when she compared Osama bin Laden to George Washington.
I have no idea who the woman is, or what she has said in past. I do know that the above statement is the epitome of deflection.

So, back to Planned Parenthood. Planned Parenthood prevents unwanted pregnancies by making easy and affordable access to birth control. They provide healthcare services for early cancer detection. They even provide screening for prostate cancer. Very few Planned Parenthood clinics preform abortions. They counsel, but most do not perform abortions. They prevent them! via affordable birth control.

This circus we've witnessed over the budget was not about abortion. It was a bargaining ploy to get as many dollars cut as they could. The attack on PP and on women will rear it's fire breathing head again. I will never go back in time where women were under a man's rule; where women had little option to avoid pregnancy; where women were dependent on men since they were usually jobless and pregnant. If they weren't prego they had a baby on their hips and a few more running around.

If they keep pushing their attack on PP and on women, and they will, I and thousands of women in my city will take to the streets. You think you witnessed the million man march? You just wait.

Women, sharpen your swords and get battle ready. They are scheming a war on the poor, on the disenfranchised, and on women as we speak. They will lose this war.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-09-2011, 08:51 AM

8,893 posts, read 5,371,263 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by plannine View Post
They (the Republicans) don't want to stop spending money we don't have. They just want to stop spending on things they don't like or won't get credit for. They have no problem with spending. Yesterday, Today and Tomorrow.
So why don't you tell us all about the Democratic plans to stop spending money? Odd, we haven't heard much about these plans considering they'd had the Congress for 4 years and the White House for 2.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:03 AM

5,376 posts, read 5,346,581 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Minethatbird View Post
So why don't you tell us all about the Democratic plans to stop spending money? Odd, we haven't heard much about these plans considering they'd had the Congress for 4 years and the White House for 2.
Until the 2 years ago, only a few from either party even dreamed of reducing spending. Corporations will keep the status-quo.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:19 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bagger View Post
I thought her comments were very powerful.

Murray 'stunned' government might shutter over Planned Parenthood - On Congress - POLITICO.com

From the link:
“I am really stunned. And I am angry as a woman that we have come to this after weeks of negotiating on numbers… that there are those in the Republican party in the House who are willing to shutdown the government, take people’s paychecks away from them because they want to deny women access to health care in this country,” Murray told reporters. “Every woman and every man in this country ought to be saying, ‘What are you doing?’”

And for those that won't look at anything from MSNBC, I'm giving you fair warning as this is a clip from "The Last Word":

The Last Word – Senator Patty Murray on Planned Parenthood « Extreme Liberal's Blog

I'll let the transcript and video speak for themselves.
If she would quit lying she might get more respect. There are no provisions to deny health care.

Old 04-09-2011, 09:35 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Quote:
We don't have a county hospital. (and we have over a million people in the county)

At our "Health Department" (it's call the health division in this county), while they do test for and treat some communicatable diseases , most of their efforts are educational (nutrition consulting), preventive (as flu shots and other immunizations) or referral.

The also run the WIC program in the area.

They do restaurant inspections and you have to get them to approve any well and septic 'construction' you may be doing on your property. The also check water conditions at beaches.

I think they provide some low-income dental services via local dental schools.
I just noticed you are in Mi. Are you in Oakland county or in the Pontiac Detroit area because they have full services for the poor in that state.

http://www.co.midland.mi.us/departments/home.php?id=55

http://www.saginawpublichealth.org/
Just to name a few
There are Cities and Counties in Michigan that are close enough if you are in one that does not have services full time or some have the clinics at certain times for immunizations etc. but they still offer them or travel to a neighbor health dept.
Well, find a close county that have these services or talk to your county officials and ask them why there are over a Million people in your county and not enough free/sliding scale services (I truly find this difficult to believe btw because it is usually smaller rural counties that have limits in services)

Last edited by Miborn; 04-09-2011 at 09:53 AM..

Old 04-09-2011, 09:42 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by World Citizen View Post
If not for Planned Parenthood's services, a college student that I work with wouldn't have learned that she had uterine cancer before it was too late.
She didn't have health insurance and went there for a Pap Smear.

They saved her life.
Quote:
Originally Posted by salem baptist View Post
There are plenty of places she could have gone for a pap smear PP isn't the only alternative

The point is, she went to PP. We don't have a lot of information in that post to know why she chose PP. Perhaps she actually went for birth control, and since a pap goes with a BC exam, got the pap incidentally. Perhaps she had no health insurance and PP was a low cost alternative. In any event, that's where she went.

Old 04-09-2011, 10:04 AM

12,669 posts, read 20,447,035 times
Did you know.

In the 2007–08 Annual Report, clinic income totalled $374.7 million and miscellaneous operating revenues $68.9 million.

Approximately two-thirds of the revenue is put towards the provision of health services, while non-medical services such as sex education and public policy work make up another 16%;

management expenses, fundraising, and international family planning programs account for most of the rest.

Planned Parenthood receives about a third of its money in government grants and contracts ($349.6 million in the 2008 fiscal year).

Old 04-09-2011, 10:43 AM

59,053 posts, read 27,306,837 times
Quote:
If planned parenthood is "Big Abortion" what's your idea of big business. Joe's Bait Shop maybe?
I'd say it is pretty big in doing abortions, "The nation’s largest abortion business released a factsheet in September showing the number of abortions it performed in 2008 increased to 324,008, a 6.1 percent increase over the 305,310 abortions it did in 2007.

Planned Parenthood also says it helped just under 11,000 women in 2007 with prenatal care and pregnancy help services.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=18647988

So they helped 11,000 with care and performed over 334,000 abortions.

So tell me what is their primary business?

Old 04-09-2011, 11:01 AM

90,297 posts, read 120,759,995 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
I'd say it is pretty big in doing abortions, "The nation’s largest abortion business released a factsheet in September showing the number of abortions it performed in 2008 increased to 324,008, a 6.1 percent increase over the 305,310 abortions it did in 2007.

Planned Parenthood also says it helped just under 11,000 women in 2007 with prenatal care and pregnancy help services.

http://www.city-data.com/forum/newre...ply&p=18647988

So they helped 11,000 with care and performed over 334,000 abortions.

So tell me what is their primary business?
Oh, the spin!

Since then, it has grown to have over 820 clinic locations in the United States, with a total budget of approximately US $1 billion, and provides an array of services to over three million people.Planned Parenthood - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies