Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 04-20-2011, 02:54 AM

22,190 posts, read 19,466,581 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Those who would participate in a CNN poll are hardly representative of all Americans. For example, a Fox News poll would give the exact opposite result only by a much greater margin.
You do realize that is not how polling works correct? The CNN poll or a Fox poll is not of CNN watchers or Fox watchers or those that go on the website. Yes, the websites do have polls, but that isn't the polling or the methodology that is used in most actual polls.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:40 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fred314X View Post
As always, I am completely in love with polls that take the concept of extrapolation to the extreme. If you read all the way to the bottom of the article, it confesses that precisely 824 adults were polled. 824 adults expressing the beliefs of more than 270 million Americans? Anyone who is in the least bit impressed by that poll is welcome to it.
As a statistician and former market researcher, 824 adults is enough to predict the thoughts and behaviors of the population of the U.S.

Polling is based on sampling theory. To get the views of any population, within 5% you need to survey 385 people. That is it. You can't break it down and say Conservatives said this, Liberals that.. but overall you get an idea of what the populace feels.

The 5% means that if the poll says 30% say yes, 70% say no - the actual results if everyone was surveyed could be 25-35% & 65-75%. That is what is referred to as the margin of error.

FYI a survey of this nature probably has the same disclosure that the results are deemed accurate within 3.5%, 19 times out of 20. The 19 times out of 20 mean that 1 time in 20 if the survey was repeated the results would not be within the margin of error.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:42 AM

2,287 posts, read 2,588,592 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smash255 View Post
You do realize that is not how polling works correct? The CNN poll or a Fox poll is not of CNN watchers or Fox watchers or those that go on the website. Yes, the websites do have polls, but that isn't the polling or the methodology that is used in most actual polls.
It reads as if it was a telephone poll so the bias of the agency sponsoring the poll doesn't really apply. Where you get sampling bias is when you do a website poll.

Old 04-20-2011, 06:49 AM

4,422 posts, read 6,260,506 times
The problem is that many of these indifferent people who say they are "okay" about same sex marriage do not show up on voting day.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:03 AM

15,706 posts, read 11,776,567 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fleet View Post
I already said that they are misguided.

True Christians don't hate and believe in forgiveness.
No true Scotsman fallacy. And there are obviously no such thing as "true Christians" by your argument.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:06 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
No true Scotsman fallacy. And there are obviously no such thing as "true Christians" by your argument.
Perhaps it should read "Christianity doesn't teach hate. It teaches forgiveness".

You can call it whatever you want, but the religion doesn't teach it. If the person you're talking about practices something other than what the religion teaches, why would you think they're of that religion?

Old 04-20-2011, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Calvinist View Post
Perhaps it should read "Christianity doesn't teach hate. It teaches forgiveness".

You can call it whatever you want, but the religion doesn't teach it. If the person you're talking about practices something other than what the religion teaches, why would you think they're of that religion?
Well, based on your posting record that would mean you're most certainly not part of that religion. Is that the case?

All Christians practice against what the religion teaches quite often, so that would indicate there are no Christians.

As Ghandi said, "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are nothing like your Christ."

Old 04-20-2011, 07:38 AM

6,484 posts, read 6,617,921 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fiyero View Post
Well, based on your posting record that would mean you're most certainly not part of that religion. Is that the case?
That's what is so frustrating. You guys brand anyone that disagrees with you as a hatemonger. I don't hate you, or anyone. I do have an opinion about what is moral and right--and I will work to keep a moral world for my kids.
Quote:
All Christians practice against what the religion teaches quite often, so that would indicate there are no Christians.
As a general statement yes--we are human beings and we screw up. Unfortunately, that even includes me. When I face intolerance and hateful statements from you and others on your side, I sometimes forget to be nice. I will strive to be nicer.

But by and large a Christian doesn't do that sort of thing.
Quote:
As Ghandi said, "I like your Christ. I do not like your Christians. They are nothing like your Christ."
You ought to look into what Ghandi actually believed and practiced. He was not a nice guy.

Old 04-20-2011, 07:48 AM

7,728 posts, read 12,624,521 times
Ghandi went to hell and is currently burning in the lake of fire forever. So what is his relevance to anyone now? He's a nobody and reduced to nothing now. It doesn't matter how many quotes you find to judge Christians, your going either to Heaven or Hell when it comes down to it. It doesn't matter what you think or say. No amount of scientific education is gonna save you from the flames of Hell and eternal torment where all the greatest God-haters are at now. No amount of persecuting Christians is gonna save you from demons taking you to your eternal home when you hit that deathbed. You never know when your time is up. Christ came to save you from sin. You harden your heart towards the only man that could give you everlasting life in Heaven and save you from hell, prepare to pay it for with eternity. You can agree with gay marriage and gay rights all you want to. But I bet none of that crap is gonna matter once your on that deathbed thinking about how you lived your life and what you stood for and what God's gonna judge you with. Your going to be in a doorway between life and death and then that's when ish gets real. Make your choice who anhd what you stand for in this life.

Old 04-20-2011, 08:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by allenk893 View Post
Ghandi went to hell and is currently burning in the lake of fire forever. So what is his relevance to anyone now? He's a nobody and reduced to nothing now. It doesn't matter how many quotes you find to judge Christians, your going either to Heaven or Hell when it comes down to it. It doesn't matter what you think or say. No amount of scientific education is gonna save you from the flames of Hell and eternal torment where all the greatest God-haters are at now. No amount of persecuting Christians is gonna save you from demons taking you to your eternal home when you hit that deathbed. You never know when your time is up. Christ came to save you from sin. You harden your heart towards the only man that could give you everlasting life in Heaven and save you from hell, prepare to pay it for with eternity. You can agree with gay marriage and gay rights all you want to. But I bet none of that crap is gonna matter once your on that deathbed thinking about how you lived your life and what you stood for and what God's gonna judge you with. Your going to be in a doorway between life and death and then that's when ish gets real. Make your choice who anhd what you stand for in this life.
I hope you're a troll. You haven't the foggiest understanding of Hell or Christianity or the Bible. Go away.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies