Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-23-2011, 09:50 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
........ now I have to worry about who will be pulling our their defense and if they know what their doing and don't shoot up everyone in the process of playing Clink Eastwood."........
Now who is plagued by irrational fears?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-23-2011, 09:59 AM

3,886 posts, read 10,082,878 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Robert_J View Post
It's not fear. It's about leveling the playing field with the bad guys. I live in a suburb is a crime ridden city. Our police do what they can which is a great job but the occasional thug slips in.

Yes, I carry everywhere. I'm sitting in my kitchen now with a 9mm on my hip. It will be there until I go to bed tonight. Wash, rinse, repeat. I also don't let my insurance lapse, I perform regular maintenance on my cars, change the batteries in my smoke detectors and check the pressure on my kitchen fire extinguisher.

As I stated earlier in this thread, I've never started a fight. When I carry, it is always in my best interest to not ever escalate a situation or better yet, walk away. Just because you feel you can't control yourself doesn't mean that everyone is like that.

Until the 1960's you could order guns from the Sears catalog and have them mailed to your house. JC Penny shotguns in good condition are worth a lot of money.

Same with me. Only in the last few years have I started taking my and my family's safety very seriously. Before I was always careful but never took a proactive approach. Next on my list is Israeli Combat Training

We need to start following the Constitution. We are in the mess because we have strayed from the few rules that we do need and implemented a lot that we don't need. When it comes time to fight tyranny, I won't be using my carry weapon.

I fee it is necessary for me. Two people with different views living together. This is a great country. I'm not forcing you to carry. You don't ask that I disarm in public and all is well. And I do have to travel into locations that are considered "shady" at best.

I hope I never, ever have to use it.

In this post you used "feel" and other emotions a lot. I'm a realist. Bad things happen to good people sometimes no matter how careful they are and I want to make sure the odds are at least even or better yet, skewed in my favor. Other than that, putting my pistol on my hip is no different to me than putting my wallet in my back pocket.
Thank you, that was a great post! Very clear and no sarcasm. I totally understand you and respect what you have said.
I can see, with your examples, how one might feel about carrying a weapon.

Old 04-23-2011, 09:59 AM

59,112 posts, read 27,330,758 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by lifelongMOgal View Post
Now who is plagued by irrational fears?
Make your self more clear. That is twiggy's post, not mine. I was responding to hers.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
Having read your contributions to this thread, twiggy, perhaps it's you who should take a pause and pull that dusty old copy of the Handbook of Style off of the bookshelf. You could use some help with your use of spelling, capitalization and punctuation. And might I add l33t doesn't add to your credibility either.
Well, need I say dear Glock that I'm not a "liberal", therefore it doesn't pertains two mey. lol Rite!

Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
Make your self more clear. That is twiggy's post, not mine. I was responding to hers.
And I was responding to the numerous posts in this thread that address the need to carry for protection. Protection from what? People only feel the need to protect themselves from danger.

Don't worry about it, I have a clear answer to my questions from another poster. Their responsible post has cleared things up a bit for me. It's hard to see through all the bashing and get a clear answer sometimes. Especially in a heated topic like gun control. People get all a blather and start screaming "liberal".

Old 04-23-2011, 10:08 AM

425 posts, read 653,547 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by twiggy View Post
Well, need I say dear Glock that I'm not a "liberal", therefore it doesn't pertains two mey. lol Rite!
Make sense much?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:13 AM

I'm now thinking of becoming a warrior!
Israeli Combat Training
Sort of looks like fun actually.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlockUnderMyKilt View Post
Make sense much?
No, not much, so I hear anyway.
Do you really have a Glock under your Kilt?

(the post I commented on was referring to liberals)(I was referring back from why I thought liberals worried about spelling)
I wasn't defending myself, I'm not a liberal.

Old 04-23-2011, 10:26 AM

29,981 posts, read 42,944,845 times
Quote:
And I was responding to the numerous posts in this thread that address the need to carry for protection. Protection from what? People only feel the need to protect themselves from danger.

Don't worry about it, I have a clear answer to my questions from another poster. Their responsible post has cleared things up a bit for me. It's hard to see through all the bashing and get a clear answer sometimes. Especially in a heated topic like gun control. People get all a blather and start screaming "liberal".
Does danger not exist? Or does it merely disappear for you, in your own mind, if you fail to acknowledge it through preparation?

Do you buckle your children into the car with safety belts? Why do you bother unless you plan on instigating a car accident? Your argument about fear and those who carry firearms for protection indeed follows into the same category of being prepared on the outside chance something beyond your control or ability to predict of your control will happen that might harm them.

You homeschool. Why? What do you fear from the public schools? From what are you trying to protect your children? Do you fight against those who would attempt through legislation to outlaw homeschooling? Or, if you are told you will no longer have a choice and will be charged as a criminal if you continue to homeschool will you just roll over and accept that from your local/state or federal government?

Practice what you preach dear. It is you who started this thread and have made all kinds of false claims, accusations and projections about those who own and carry firearms. Or, is bashing and blathering only from those who do not ascribe to your way of thinking?

The gun banning ideology is a liberal one (conceding personal responsibility to the government) whether or not you adhear to liberal ideologies in other topics and areas of your life or not. So, while you claim not to be a liberal you are on this particular subject.

The gun banning ideology in the USA has its roots in anti-semitism and racism going back as far as colonial America when it was used to control people of then "undesireable" religious faiths. Post civil war gun banning was a tool used by the North and its carpet baggers to control blacks.

Are you proud of the heritage of the gun banning ideology in the USA to which you appear to adhere?

Old 04-23-2011, 10:29 AM

2,010 posts, read 2,372,457 times
Quote:
No, not much, so I hear anyway.
Do you really have a Glock under your Kilt?

(the post I commented on was referring to liberals)(I was referring back from why I thought liberals worried about spelling)
I wasn't defending myself, I'm not a liberal.
Well let's see, you're against 2nd amendement rights and call for a gun ban, and because you don't feel the need to be armed or protect yourself you don't think others should have the right to either......if it looks like a duck and quacks like a duck......
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies