Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 04-24-2011, 05:22 AM

24,621 posts, read 19,170,143 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by CamaroGuy View Post
The 1st amendment I thought applies to everyone.
You thought wrong.

You have Freedom of Speech against the Government, and no other entity.

Your right to Freedom of Speech does not apply or even exist between you and your spouse (because neither you nor your spouse are a government), between you and your children (because neither of you are a government), between you and your parents (because neither of you are a government), between you and your employer (because neither of you are a government), or between you and any business (because neither of you are a government).

The 1st Amendment says that you may praise the government, or criticize the government or question the government, and that's all it says.

If your employer doesn't like your speech, your employer can terminate you, and there's nothing you can do about. You can scream "Free Speech" all you want, but the 1st Amendment only prevents the government from interfering with your Free Speech, not private entities.

You also have the right to peaceably* assemble.

That right exists only between you and the government. You may peaceably assemble to support government actions or policies, or to criticize government actions or policies, or to question or draw attention to government actions or policies.

You have no right to assemble before any non-government entity. The government may permit you to assemble before a business, a place of religious worship, the residence of another individual or group of individuals, or another place, but the government is not required to allow you to do that.

* the actual word used in the text
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 04-24-2011, 05:51 AM

18,358 posts, read 26,499,682 times
The issue here isn't one crazy FL preacher, but whether or not we will allow our rights under our Constitution be made subservient to those who threaten violence. We will become a theocracy without one shot being fired if we continue down this path.

Old 04-24-2011, 08:20 AM

39,874 posts, read 26,514,597 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bush was a Democrat?
Pretty much, yes. He sure spent like one.

Old 04-24-2011, 09:18 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,202,822 times
notice where it said "the CITY OF ATLANTA" set up the free speech zone?

fact is BOTH party conventions suppress protests, but it would take someone like you to cherry pick the facts to make it appear that only the dem's did.
YouTube - We Are Not Republicans

but it took Bush to translate that practice to his political stops as well and his presidential stops.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
Bush was a Democrat?

Free speech zone - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

During the 1988 Democratic National Convention, the city of Atlanta set up an official "free speech area"[5] so the convention would not be disrupted. A pro-choice demonstrator against an Operation Rescue group said Atlanta Mayor Andrew Young "put us in a free-speech cage."[6] "Protest zones" were used during the 1992 and 1996 United States presidential nominating conventions[7]

Old 04-24-2011, 09:40 AM

1,382 posts, read 2,386,095 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by bulldogdad View Post
Yeah I know some people who need their asses kicked and it isn't this Pastor.
Non-violence is way over rated.
A punch in the nose is sometimes just. Even poetic.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:02 AM

but, isn't punching someone a violation of someone's rights? i cannot think of any circumstances where punching someone is just.
Quote:
Originally Posted by robertjohnson View Post
Non-violence is way over rated.
A punch in the nose is sometimes just. Even poetic.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:21 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toyman at Jewel Lake View Post
Pretty much, yes. He sure spent like one.
Well if he spent like a Democrat, what Republican president spent like a Republican? You know...so that we'll have an example of how a Republican should be spending money.

I'm sure you have plenty of examples.

(of course, you DON'T!)

Old 04-24-2011, 10:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stinkytofu10 View Post
Have you ever been to Dearborn?
Obviously not.

With all of these conservatives trashing Dearborn, i can't wait until i hit the Detroit area again. I'm going to make sure that i spend as much money with Dearborn merchants as i possibly can.

Old 04-24-2011, 10:35 AM

actually, it is pretty easy to see that the R's are the big spender and the D's are the ones elected to correct and fix the messes the R's wild spending sprees created.

National debt by U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

the debt compared to GDP column (Increase debt/GDP) really highlights the differences.

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Well if he spent like a Democrat, what Republican president spent like a Republican? You know...so that we'll have an example of how a Republican should be spending money.

I'm sure you have plenty of examples.

(of course, you DON'T!)

Old 04-24-2011, 10:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
actually, it is pretty easy to see that the R's are the big spender and the D's are the ones elected to correct and fix the messes the R's wild spending sprees created.

National debt by U.S. presidential terms - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
You now this, and i know this, but others? LOL...ehhh
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies