Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 AM

19,046 posts, read 25,196,082 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by artwomyn View Post
You doctors, still think that you're 'god'. Well, go back and read what cantthinkofaname had to go through, to finally get a correct diagnosis of her diabetes. That should be proof enough, that many of you docs don't have a clue!
Quote:
Originally Posted by CrownVic95 View Post
Wish I could rep you again....

At least know that you're not the only one who has for years watched them shamelessly manufacture demand for more and more new drugs while watching the majority slip deeper into psychological addiction to the poison they peddle. It is inexplicable, but sadly undeniable as evidenced by what you see here.

The formerly male-dominated medical profession was already corrupt long before big pharma got involved in the area of their treatment of women. Big pharma has taken it to a new level. And the fact that so many more women are now in the field has made big pharma's tightening grip so much the easier because it is women, much more so than men generally, who are susceptible to control by the medical industry. That's why you see so many ads targeted at women for products for their husbands/BFs.

Thanks again for showing the courage to break from the herd.
Both of you should absolutely stay away from doctors, any kind of medical diagnosis or advice, and certainly any and all medications.

Old 05-03-2011, 10:54 AM

12,905 posts, read 15,662,473 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AONE View Post
The Op is on target with th e aim of pharmaceutical companies to get everyone on their meds for whatever ailment they can create. I find it horrifying people so willingly stick these poisons in their kids. because some douche says they are AHD or whatever alphabet soup is common for that day.

Here is a clue.... when the drug company tells you side effects include death.... don't take it. there should NEVER be a question at that point. Would you play Russian Roulette with a gun? why do it with drugs?
I think everyone here can agree that Pharm companies are not out for the good of mankind. They are there to make money. I am leary of EVERY thing I put in my mouth and I make that decision with my doctor. No doctor will ever force me to take something I don't want to.

I've been through one cancer diagnosis, stomach issues, urology issues, to name a few. I guess I've been lucky in that I've never run into a quack, never been misdiagnosed, never took too long to get diagnosed. Well, there was that ONE time I contracted Giardia (a parasite) and it took me 2.5 months to get diagnosed. Rather than be put on meds, I was told by three doctors it was "stress." It was only when I made it to the gastroenterologist that he put me on...wait for it....a $4 medication called Flagyl to fix it. I think my doctor got paid 25 cents from Big Pharma for pushing the Flagyl.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:20 PM

1,296 posts, read 2,225,868 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
Whenever people counter your whackadoodle claims with truth and facts, you drop platitudes like 'smell the coffee' instead of having a viable counter argument. What you are doing, in essence, is posting your opinions (however errant they may be) and when anyone presents valid info to the contrary, you simply dismiss them along with everyone and everything else as if they are all part of your conspiracy theory. I am beginning to feel sorry for you, darling.
If you think that big pharma and other corporations are just a 'conspiracy theory', then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Can you prove that big pharma, and other large corporations don't influence the medical profession, our food supply, polititions, etc. You're just another clueless American.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:43 PM

16,225 posts, read 27,435,268 times
Quote:
If you think that big pharma and other corporations are just a 'conspiracy theory', then I have a bridge to sell you in Brooklyn. Can you prove that big pharma, and other large corporations don't influence the medical profession, our food supply, polititions, etc. You're just another clueless American.
This thread is not about what I believe about big pharma. Or bridges in Brooklyn. Since you're the OP, I shouldn't have to point this out to you. You asserted that the diabetes epidemic is a fraud perpetuated as a conspiracy between doctors and pharmaceutical companies. I don't have to prove or disprove anything - when someone is clearly not allowing ANYTHING into their head that doesn't agree with their errant predetermined convictions, there is no proving anything. To dismiss me as "just another clueless American" is possibly the unintentionally funniest thing you've posted in this thread.

I for one still have all my teeth, normal blood pressure and normal blood sugar - maybe I'm not so clueless about health after all. You are the equivalent of the 400lb woman who lectures a fit and healthy woman on proper diet and exercise. You slay me with your golden wit, artwoman.

Old 05-03-2011, 12:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ChristineVA View Post
No need to get snippy. Here is your original post (although it has been edited). No where do you say that if you are diagnosed you should seek multiple opinions. You put the word EPIDEMIC within quotation marks as to insinuate that it doesn't exist and you state that doctors are in cahoots with Big Pharma. Your whole post is a summary of what you believe to be a conspiracy theory. Now, later, after everyone argues with you do you backtrack and say that you didn't really mean that and that you just meant that people should be more vigilant and seek other opinions. Well, read the tone of your first post:

Everything in red points to conspiracy theory and nothing else tells people to seek further guidance.
I've stated throughout this whole thread, that people should seek second and third opinions. You just looked at ONE post, and then passed judgement. If you don't have sense enough to read ALL of my posts on this thread, then you have no business trying to insist that you know that this thread is only a 'conspiracy theory'.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:01 PM

20,834 posts, read 17,106,096 times
As a bedside critical care nurse for fifteen years i will tell you honestly that the OP has no idea what she/he is talking about.

In addition, pharmaceutical companies make money and mistakes. Their research and products keeps millions of people alive and well throughout both hemispheres of the planet.

This type of hysterical diatribe does little good for anyone. nearly every person who enters a critical care area as a patient has pre existing diabetes as a disease.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:03 PM

4,713 posts, read 9,704,291 times
Quote:
I didn't say that diabetes is a 'conspiracy'. I said that the 'epidemic' has been so overblown, and that the medical profession is heavily influenced, by the huge pharma industry.

Yes...you say that. But what is the basis for this statement? Where is your supporting evidence that, "the 'epidemic' has been so overblown"? This is not something you can state as a casual opinion like, Jack In The Box has better burgers than Burger King. You are making a very strong claim here...provide some evidence to back it up and we can dissect and discuss the facts, rather than focusing on a random, unsubstantiated claim.

Quote:
when you try to tell me that I said things that I didn't say, or take everything I say as being nonsense, then you have personal problem with me, not just my threads.

Every response I have posted in this thread has been predicated by a direct quotation of the statement(s) I am responding to. Please show me one instance where I claimed you said something that you did not.

I have no "personal problem" with you. It could very well be that we could hang out, have a few drinks, and get along famously...who knows? I don't know you personally so its a moot point. I do think that many of the statements you have made in this thread, including your thread title, "The so-called 'diabetes epidemic' is likely to be a fraud" is nonsense. It all has to do with your statements, not with you as an individual.

Quote:
And you've done this to me, for a long now. You LOVE to personally attack ME, rather than just diagree with my ideas!

I have a life and a career; I have better things to do with my time than go around trying to attack people on message boards for lack of anything better to do. Although I see how reducing all of my statements on the topic to being "personal attacks" allows you to dismiss anything I have said without having to actually address the content of my statements.

That said, I have also agreed with you that people need to become better medical consumers - yet you seem to gloss over that and simply focus on where I do disagree with you. Sounds to me like you're the one trying to pick a fight.

Quote:
So you're in the medical profession eh. Well then you have an obvious bias, in favor of your profession, and can't have an objective discussion about these sorts of topics.

Hm...in a thread about racism, you once told me that I could not have an objective discussion about African American culture because I was not an African American. By that logic, one could argue that you cannot have an objective discussion about healthcare topics because you are not a healthcare professional. But I would never pull out a strawman argument like that.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:04 PM

Quote:
I find it horrifying people so willingly stick these poisons in their kids.

While not as alarmist as you seem to be, as someone who works in pharma research, I agree. As I believe I said before, many of these medications are powerful drugs and each individual needs to be informed about what is being prescribed, the reason(s) why, and what the alternatives are, and make their own choice at the end of the day as to whether or not they want to proceed with that course of treatment or not.

Quote:
Here is a clue.... when the drug company tells you side effects include death.... don't take it. there should NEVER be a question at that point.

Actually, there is a question...it depends on what the treatment is for. If a person has a terminal condition, maybe it may be worth the risk to them to prolong their life. Take chemotherapy for instance - that type of treatment in and of itself can cause major damage to organs. But for certain types of cancers, what is the alternative? Take a potential treatment that may help, or may cause harm, or leave it untreated be certain you will die.

Quote:
I am leary of EVERY thing I put in my mouth and I make that decision with my doctor. No doctor will ever force me to take something I don't want to.

Once again...very powerful drugs can have very powerful results, including adverse side effects. Before taking any drug, one needs to educate themselves on that mode of treatment, as well as any alternatives, assess the potential benefits and risks, and make an informed decision for themselves. Maybe someone is living with a chronic pain condition that leaves them with a very poor quality of life. Is it worth taking a medication that may have a small risk of causing a serious, life-threatening side effect if there is a good chance that that it can alleviate their symptoms and improve their quality of life? There is no right or wrong answer…each individual in such a situation needs to make an educated choice for themselves.

That said, of all of the research into potential new drugs being done by pharmaceutical companies, a much smaller percentage is focused on potential cures for new diseases; in large part the research is focused on finding new treatments (for which a pharmaceutical treatment already exists) that has fewer and less severe side effects. The human body is complicated piece of machinery...we're not going to be able to find a way to fix any problem perfectly overnight.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
I think everyone here can agree that Pharm companies are not out for the good of mankind. They are there to make money.

All businesses are out to make money, so I think it is a bit disingenuous to argue that because pharma companies want to make a profit (like every other business) this somehow inherently makes them bad people.

To begin with, the costs associated with developing a new drug are staggering. It has been stated that, “The pharmaceutical industry spends more on research and development, relative to its sales revenue, than almost any other industry in the United States,” (source provided below). It can cost upwards of $800 million to develop an innovative new drug, which includes the fact that over 95% of all pharmaceutical compounds developed in the laboratory never make it out of that setting and, as a result, a ton of money is spent on research and development of products that ultimately fail. In addition, it can take over 10 years for a drug to go from initial lab development to an actual product available to patients, which means that these hundreds of millions of dollars are tied up for years in developing a product that will not make the pharma company a single dime of income for a decade or more. And once that drug is on the market, the company needs to both recoup the development costs of that drug, while also being able to make money to fund R&D of new drugs – all within a finite time frame, as a drug company only has a fixed number of years of patent protection on a given drug until a generic company can sweep in and manufacture the same drug and sell it at a fraction of the cost (because they do not have those hundreds of millions of dollars in R&D expenditures to cover).

This is a very brief overview, but I would encourage people interested in the costs associated with drug development to take a look at the October, 2006 U.S. Congressional Budget Office Study of Research and Development in the Pharmaceutical Industry here: http://www.cbo.gov/ftpdocs/76xx/doc7615/10-02-DrugR-D.pdf

Secondly, believe it or not, many of us in this industry actually do care about helping to find cures and improve quality of life for people. To date, two drugs I have worked on are available in the marketplace, one is an insomnia drug and the other is a treatment for endometriosis. In the latter case, I have heard, first hand, from both patients in early clinical trials and from patients taking the drug after it was marketed, how much improvement it has brought to their lives by reducing and / or eliminating what they described as debilitating pain associated with this condition that significantly impaired their daily lives. Usually the only way to fully treat endometriosis is via a hysterectomy – which for younger women can mean a choice of living with a painful condition or not being able to have children. I’m pretty damn proud to have been a part of developing a product which has helped people live a better life.

With that, if someone found a plant growing in a desert tomorrow that could magically cure any and every ailment known to man with no side effects whatsoever…I think that would be awesome! It would put every pharma company out of business, and I would happily buy a van and get my old band back together and hit the road.

Old 05-03-2011, 01:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DontH8Me View Post
This thread is not about what I believe about big pharma. Or bridges in Brooklyn. Since you're the OP, I shouldn't have to point this out to you. You asserted that the diabetes epidemic is a fraud perpetuated as a conspiracy between doctors and pharmaceutical companies. I don't have to prove or disprove anything - when someone is clearly not allowing ANYTHING into their head that doesn't agree with their errant predetermined convictions, there is no proving anything. To dismiss me as "just another clueless American" is possibly the unintentionally funniest thing you've posted in this thread.

I for one still have all my teeth, normal blood pressure and normal blood sugar - maybe I'm not so clueless about health after all. You are the equivalent of the 400lb woman who lectures a fit and healthy woman on proper diet and exercise. You slay me with your golden wit, artwoman.
This thread isn't only about my personal health, or yours for that matter. You've proven that you can't stop and think critically, about the medical profession, and it's ties to the big pharma companies. You're determined to not even consider that big pharma companies, are malignant and greedy. You just assume that they aren't, which is fine by me. I guess you also think that polititions are benign too, which is also fine by me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies