Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-03-2011, 08:50 AM

2,549 posts, read 2,728,451 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by LordBalfor View Post
Use a little common sense will ya?
Place names are often used LONG before they become official. Why do you think they are CHOSEN as the official names to begin with? BECAUSE that's what people are calling them. Do you really think folks only began calling us "America" AFTER we officially became the "United States of America"?
Hell no. That name had been bandied about for 200 years or so before it became "official". The name "Canada" was first used in the 1500's. My mother is British and I remember hearing the name "Kenya" BEFORE Kenya became an independent nation. Even as a British colony it was long referred to by the common name of "Kenya". That's WHY it ended up with the name of "Kenya" when it became independent.
Geeze!

Same deal regarding the hospital. The modern "official" name of the hospital today is NOT the name on the Birth Certificate (as you claim it is). Though not yet official at Obama's hospital, the term "medical center" was ALREADY starting to be used at many hospitals by the late 1950's - in fact some were already being officially renamed (such as Baylor University Hospital being renamed Baylor University Medical Center - which happened in 1959) and many of those that were not "officially" renamed "medical centers" were already using that name in a casual basis because it better reflected what the hospital had become (ie MORE than just a place to provide direct patient care). Hospitals were referred to as "Medical Centers" long before they officially took that name.

Don't you think the widow of Obama's delivery doctor would notice is the name of the hospital was wrong on the birth certificate?

Barack Obama's birth doctor's son 'floored' by news - Telegraph

Ken
Common sense? How in the heck did you get some when the rest of us "clearly" have little? Uh huh...rrrrrrrright! You are one head slapping mo fo. Don't hit too hard.

Old 05-03-2011, 08:56 AM

8,231 posts, read 17,351,930 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnUnidentifiedMale View Post
The loons are out in full force on this forum.
Which ones? The loons who take everything at face value because "the government says so"? THOSE loons?

Old 05-03-2011, 08:58 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
What we do with someone's remains has very little to do with that person. We do what we do more often for the people still living. In this case, the person who died was a very high-profile person. Treating his remains with respect shows we respect the millions of people who follow the same religion as the person who died. Disrespecting those remains would have reinforced a message this dead person repeatedly asserted: that the United States does not respect Muslims. It's not an endorsement of any religion. It's not a special accord of respect for bin Laden. It's a demonstration that the people of the United States are not barbaric.
Hook, line and sinker taste good??

No GOOD DECENT Muslim would give a damn what happened to a vicious mass murderer's body....

Hilarious that you think that terrorists are NOT offended by his being killed but would be so upset if he wasn't dumped respectfully???

OMG!

PS: There are MANY barbaric Americans...

Old 05-03-2011, 08:59 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,392,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Icy Tea View Post
After some thought, I'm pretty certain that they did in fact kill him. I think any stumbling after the fact, the rushed handling of the body, the hand wringing over how to present the facts to the media, that was poorly handled but also deliberately poorly handled.
Obama is not the shrewdest guy around, but the people that plan things for him and orchestrate the running of the Whitehouse, are. He's getting hammered in the polls and public opinion and something was needed to offset any upcoming bad economic news.
You have an interesting definition of "hammered at the polls" - considering that on average Obama's approval/disapproval numbers are about equal - and that even at his low point (which was back in August of last year) the average spread between approval & disapproval was only a bit over 5 points.

RealClearPolitics - Election Other - President Obama Job Approval

Historically -when compared to past Presidents, Obama's approval ratings are quite favorable - and even at his low low point he's never dropped anywhere near as low as either of the Bush's, Clinton, Reagan, Carter, Ford, Nixon or LBJ did. In fact he's remained HIGHER than ANY President in nearly the last 50 YEARS.

Presidential Approval Ratings History - Interactive Comparison Graph - WSJ.com

Ken

Last edited by LordBalfor; 05-03-2011 at 09:20 AM..

Old 05-03-2011, 09:01 AM

20,460 posts, read 26,392,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Common sense? How in the heck did you get some when the rest of us "clearly" have little?
If you don't KNOW how to "get common sense" I can't tell you.

I CAN tell you THIS however - knowledge of History HELPS a LOT.

Ken

Old 05-03-2011, 09:03 AM

42,732 posts, read 29,967,336 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
Hook, line and sinker taste good??

No GOOD DECENT Muslim would give a damn what happened to a vicious mass murderer's body....

Hilarious that you think that terrorists are NOT offended by his being killed but would be so upset if he wasn't dumped respectfully???

OMG!

PS: There are MANY barbaric Americans...
Clearly there are many barbaric Americans on this forum. However, I firmly believe that the majority of Americans are people who would treat a dead body, even that of an enemy, with respect, and who have the intelligence to understand that doing so is not about according your enemy respect, but according all human life with respect. Like it or not, bin Laden was a human being. That merits that his remains be disposed of with respect.

While you are so focused on the reactions of terrorists, you don't seem to grasp that reactions are responses to actions. Americans had a choice, desecrate a dead body or not. Thank goodness that Americans chose not to be barbaric.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:04 AM

12 posts, read 25,057 times
The WH doesn't need to prove any thing.....just believe everything they report. You can always trust big brother. And just a week ago after years of searching the most powerful man in the world finally found his birth certificate with the help of 100s of aids and tax payer money. Things are looking up for Barry.

Old 05-03-2011, 09:08 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,886,162 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Who?Me?! View Post
But many non-Muslim Americans clearly do. The idea that somehow dishonoring the body is warranted and a tool to accomplish something or make a statement?

Old 05-03-2011, 09:13 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,196,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by DC at the Ridge View Post
Clearly there are many barbaric Americans on this forum. However, I firmly believe that the majority of Americans are people who would treat a dead body, even that of an enemy, with respect, and who have the intelligence to understand that doing so is not about according your enemy respect, but according all human life with respect. Like it or not, bin Laden was a human being. That merits that his remains be disposed of with respect.

While you are so focused on the reactions of terrorists, you don't seem to grasp that reactions are responses to actions. Americans had a choice, desecrate a dead body or not. Thank goodness that Americans chose not to be barbaric.
Oh for pete's sake , Mr. Drama!

I NEVER said his body should be desecrated(losing your argument so embellishing a little???)
I don't think it should have been disposed of so quickly and the whole "wrapped in a white sheet" thing has a bad smell...too much detail there and very little anywhere else...a magician's trick....and NO details that are provable...

He was first a mass murderer ...barbaric to defend him or show him any respect.........

Old 05-03-2011, 09:31 AM

38,859 posts, read 25,628,094 times
Smile It's getting complicated.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Floyd View Post
Please stop with the "cute" labels already. I can barely handle left and right and conservative and liberal.

But you're right, they are cute in a perverted sense.

cute!

Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Closed Thread

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies