Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you take a 50% cut in salary to bring jobs back to America?
Yes 9 8.04%
No 103 91.96%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 09:49 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by RCCCB View Post
If you are a governmet worker you should consider that or be fired.
Private sector can do what it wants since it doesn't use taxpayer dollars.
most government WORKERS are paid less than their civilian counter parts

on the other hand government upper managmnet is paid higher
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 09:51 AM

58,992 posts, read 27,275,092 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Bringing jobs back to the American people would increase wages for us. The whole reason they exported our jobs was for the cheap labor. Bringing them back would only be a plus for everyone.
The majority of jobs overseas are assembly line type work.

Over 60% of high school graduates go to college.

Do you think these college educated kids are going to take these assembly type jobs?

I really can't see college grads making flip flops or tee shirts, etc.

Old 05-08-2011, 09:59 AM

1,549 posts, read 4,256,119 times
No, I would not take a 50% cut in salary...will that result in 50% reduction in my mortgage and other expenses...I think not..

Old 05-08-2011, 10:00 AM

47,525 posts, read 69,677,756 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The majority of jobs overseas are assembly line type work.

Over 60% of high school graduates go to college.

Do you think these college educated kids are going to take these assembly type jobs?

I really can't see college grads making flip flops or tee shirts, etc.
Show me the source for that. I know for a fact that many of the Chinese jobs are tool and die makers, machinists, and a whole lot more.

And are you claiming that all the unemployed Americans really prefer to be unemployed?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:06 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by trlhiker View Post
Why is that? I am a government employee whose job supports the military. I earn my pay if not more. Why should I be forced to live in poverty?
If my private sector employer, because of poor decisions, bad loans, over extending their money, can't afford their work force, then employees would get laid off.

Why should govt sector jobs be immune to that, just because they can, through threat of fines or imprisonment, take more from the taxpayers?

When I was laid off, I earned my pay if not more. But the company HAD NO MORE MONEY TO PAY ME. So I lost my job. See how that works in the real world?

Old 05-08-2011, 10:08 AM

32,816 posts, read 19,474,193 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Show me the source for that. I know for a fact that many of the Chinese jobs are tool and die makers, machinists, and a whole lot more.

And are you claiming that all the unemployed Americans really prefer to be unemployed?
but the thing is this POLL mean nothing because its not just the saleries

its the taxes

taxses and lack of tarrifs has made it cheaper to ship stuff in than to make it here

look at GE (general electric)...it is cheaper for them to make a radio/tv/fan/phone/appliance in mexico/maylaisa and SHIP it in than it is to make it here...and its not just the saleries..its PROPERTY TAX, CORPORATE tax, INCOME tax, PAYROLL tax, cost of electricity, etc

cut taxes (all taxes...income, corporate, etc)
raise import tarrifs (to include on US comapnies that assemble/make outside conus)

Old 05-08-2011, 10:08 AM

17,400 posts, read 11,969,121 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Tell the big corporations to stop outsourcing and then you will see jobs return.

And while you are at it, tell them [Corporations] to stop paying politicians to vote on pro-illegal alien measures. Less illegals = higher wages, and more jobs. Take the construction industry for example, in many states that work used to pay ~$20 a hour, which would be good pay even today. But wages in that field are hitting rock bottom due to illegals being paid peanuts to do it.
Tell the government to stop putting unrealistic and job-killing regulations onto corporations in this country, and you will see jobs come back.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:11 AM

9,394 posts, read 15,688,214 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ringwise View Post
If my private sector employer, because of poor decisions, bad loans, over extending their money, can't afford their work force, then employees would get laid off.

Why should govt sector jobs be immune to that, just because they can, through threat of fines or imprisonment, take more from the taxpayers?

When I was laid off, I earned my pay if not more. But the company HAD NO MORE MONEY TO PAY ME. So I lost my job. See how that works in the real world?
Well for one, the government isn't immune as the near-closure of the Federal government this year proved. Had it closed, those workers would not have received back-pay.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:12 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,127,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by jonaos View Post
Tell the big corporations to stop outsourcing and then you will see jobs return.

And while you are at it, tell them [Corporations] to stop paying politicians to vote on pro-illegal alien measures. Less illegals = higher wages, and more jobs. Take the construction industry for example, in many states that work used to pay ~$20 a hour, which would be good pay even today. But wages in that field are hitting rock bottom due to illegals being paid peanuts to do it.

Why don't you start a corporation and run it the way you see fit? Don't impose your own thoughts on other corporations. You have the freedom to create a company and run it by your very own values.

I agree about reducing illegals though.

Old 05-08-2011, 10:22 AM

1,324 posts, read 1,198,034 times
Canada cut corprate taxes for the past 10 years , they are doing well .
Corporate taxes: to cut or not to cut? - The Globe and Mail
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies