Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

View Poll Results: Would you take a 50% cut in salary to bring jobs back to America?
Yes 9 8.04%
No 103 91.96%
Voters: 112. You may not vote on this poll

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-08-2011, 10:49 AM

24,488 posts, read 41,134,517 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by westwaswon View Post
Canada cut corprate taxes for the past 10 years , they are doing well .
Corporate taxes: to cut or not to cut? - The Globe and Mail
While I generally agree with the idea of cutting corporate taxes, we have a debt issue that Canada cannot compare to.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-08-2011, 11:31 AM

18 posts, read 8,944 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Siete View Post
Would you take a 50% cut in salary to bring jobs back to America?

Isn't that what the send our jobs to China, and end all unions, is all about? Open up our borders to unfair competition, and then loose our middle class.

These days, some people would consider a 50% pay cut to be a raise as they are unemployed. Looks like that magical trickle down tap got cut off somewhere along the pipeline.

Drill baby Drill answers will not ever fix that pipeline.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:32 AM

59,022 posts, read 27,290,738 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by malamute View Post
Show me the source for that. I know for a fact that many of the Chinese jobs are tool and die makers, machinists, and a whole lot more.

And are you claiming that all the unemployed Americans really prefer to be unemployed?
There are many type, in all fields, of jobs that have gone overseas.

"Since 2001, the nation has lost more than 2.5 million manufacturing jobs and more than 850,000 professional service and information sector jobs".
Shipping Jobs Overseas: How Real Is the Problem? (http://www.aflcio.org/issues/jobseconomy/exportingamerica/outsourcing_problems.cfm - broken link)

Manufacturing covers a varied number of positions. Many are the assembly line line type of work done after the machinery is made.

Don't try to read my mind and assume I am claiming anything.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HurricaneDC View Post
Well for one, the government isn't immune as the near-closure of the Federal government this year proved. Had it closed, those workers would not have received back-pay.
They have in the past.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:40 AM

15,912 posts, read 20,194,123 times
Instead of cutting salaries 50% how about we do away with 50% of the government regulations and 50% of the government?

Old 05-08-2011, 11:42 AM

5,944 posts, read 5,582,900 times
Lightbulb Would you take a 50% cut in salary to bring jobs back to America?

Of course not.

But then, I never sent any American jobs overseas.

That was the work of obscenely overcompensated CEOs. If they were to give up half of their average $11 million annual compensation, it would have much more impact than half of my paltry salary. And I'm of the opinion that they could continue to scrape by on an annual income of just $5.5 million w/o severe hardship. Besides, it would be economic justice for the senders to contribute for a change instead of gorging themselves at America's economic trough.

Heck, my plan could even apply to the corporate executive boards, too.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:44 AM

14,539 posts, read 21,254,017 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Quick Enough View Post
The majority of jobs overseas are assembly line type work.

Over 60% of high school graduates go to college.

Do you think these college educated kids are going to take these assembly type jobs?

I really can't see college grads making flip flops or tee shirts, etc.
I don't think you can really say if they will or not. When you need a roof over your head and you don't have one, or the pantry is empty and your kids are hungry, that degree won't stand in the way. For some, yes, but for those who won't let it its a litnus test.

The problem is we are losing the jobs you can do without college (even office jobs which often require one) and are still chanting the mantra of college. Hard fact is not everyone is cut out for those "really top notch" jobs which we do have. So we are making a group of people destined to be dissapointed.

Not that the factory jobs are going to come back. As robotics gets better and better, we're going to find that more and more of these go to 'employees' who never get paid, never have to rest, and there is a small well paid and specilized crew to maintain the rest. That is the future of factories, not here or China.

Old 05-08-2011, 11:49 AM

7,126 posts, read 8,650,729 times
Due to the economy we have lost 50% of our income already and just getting by. So no, my first responsibilty is to my children not everyone else!!

Old 05-08-2011, 12:29 PM

9,408 posts, read 11,929,707 times
No way. In reality this is how it would work:

The workers take a 50% paycut to save jobs. CEO's/executive mgmt. take the credit for saving the company millions. CEO/executive mgmt. take a bonus equal to the amount saved. Workers told to be happy they have a damn job at half their former wage, 'everybody' is feeling the pinch.

Old 05-08-2011, 01:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nightbird47 View Post
I don't think you can really say if they will or not. When you need a roof over your head and you don't have one, or the pantry is empty and your kids are hungry, that degree won't stand in the way. For some, yes, but for those who won't let it its a litnus test.

The problem is we are losing the jobs you can do without college (even office jobs which often require one) and are still chanting the mantra of college. Hard fact is not everyone is cut out for those "really top notch" jobs which we do have. So we are making a group of people destined to be dissapointed.

Not that the factory jobs are going to come back. As robotics gets better and better, we're going to find that more and more of these go to 'employees' who never get paid, never have to rest, and there is a small well paid and specilized crew to maintain the rest. That is the future of factories, not here or China.
I agree with most of what you say.

There WILL be those that will take a job.

But, it is also too true many of our youth today don't have a work ethic. They have never been made to work. Not at home making their own bed or other chores around the house. Not in high school, and certainly not in college as mommy and daddy foot the entire bill.

I have had to work with many new college grads and they don't want to do anything. Not all but, a large percentage of them.

I can't picture many of the spoiled brats working an assembly line.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies