Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 08:58 PM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
In recent decades the expensive college degree replaced the "free" high school diploma as the standard for all workers, and the entire nation has suffered as a result. Middle Class families lost enough thanks to wage stagnation since the 1970s. It does not require a college degree to work at McDonalds, and we reduce all Americans when we have an over-educated workforce and government and business policies that constantly reduce the number of jobs the growing population is fighting for.

You can be extremely self-educated and intellectual simply by investigating all topics that interest you, thinking critically and logically, and participating in discussions of topics of interest.

You do not need need the degree or diploma provided by a college or university to thrive in the vast majority of modern jobs.

As a nation, we would be far better served by an education system that served the job force, and government that served the working class instead of the ultra-rich, and a business community that understood that bankrupting the workforce would inevitably result in destroying the entire nation.
Wouldn't that technically be a part of capitalism though? I mean, if a business can get someone with a college degree for minimum wage, why not hire them? Then, a college degree becomes the minimum and everyone gets one... then it becomes normal for secretaries working part time to have a Bachelor's degree in something. Businesses are supposed to hire the best candidate they can for the cheapest amount possible...if you can't keep up, then bummer for you.

This is taken directly from my local craigslist for a solar salesperson:

• Minimum five years of experience with grid-tied solar electric sales.

• Many years of general sales experience.

• Demonstrated ability to meet and exceed stated sales goals

• Positive attitude with focus on doing what’s best for our customers and our company

• World class communication and customer service skills and experience.

• Desire to stay on the leading edge of the industry.

• Commitment to team environment and to being a strong team player.

• Strong math and computer skills.

• Proficiency with Microsoft Office and Google Earth.

• Experience performing and explaining financial calculations (ROI, IRR, NPV, APR, etc.).

• Capacity to explain technical aspects of system design and functionality.

• Understanding of general construction practices.

• Ability to read and understand electrical and structural plans.

• Four year college degree required.

• Must have a cell phone and reliable transportation.

Guess what they're offering? $10 an hour.

And they'll get it.

This is the new future.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:00 PM

12,200 posts, read 18,375,135 times
Default Why do liberals want everyone to go to college?

Because all the Republicans who make hiring decisions used that excuse to hire their friends kids

Old 05-10-2011, 11:13 PM

25,157 posts, read 53,943,694 times
That is messed up for it being a sales job.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post
Wouldn't that technically be a part of capitalism though? I mean, if a business can get someone with a college degree for minimum wage, why not hire them? Then, a college degree becomes the minimum and everyone gets one... then it becomes normal for secretaries working part time to have a Bachelor's degree in something. Businesses are supposed to hire the best candidate they can for the cheapest amount possible...if you can't keep up, then bummer for you.

• Positive attitude with focus on doing what’s best for our customers and our company

• Experience performing and explaining financial calculations (ROI, IRR, NPV, APR, etc.).

And they'll get it.

This is the new future.

Old 05-10-2011, 11:30 PM

15,395 posts, read 22,523,731 times
I find this video compelling........people need to be educated but college is obviously not for everyone........

However a decent High School level of understanding is necessary.....IMHO...to understand science issues, geopolitical issues, evolution, etc.

YouTube - Americans are NOT stupid - WITH SUBTITLES

Old 05-11-2011, 02:11 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Sadly I agree with the OP. A Bachelors degree has been cheapened because it is more common and with the advent of on-line degrees, a bachelors degree is fairly worthless these days unless one majored in a math or science related field and/or attended a top undergraduate university that can open doors for them.

The truth is one is better off attending vocational school and becoming an electrician than majoring in Philosophy or English when trying to get a job. There are a lot of tech/trade skills that better position one in the job market today that earning a Bachelors degree in soft majors like English, Philosophy, Art History, History, Sociology etc.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:18 AM

10,719 posts, read 20,296,391 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JetJockey View Post

And they'll get it.

This is the new future.
While I agree with your premise, let's also acknowledge that many companies are simply clueless with regards to their job requirements. These type of ads were present 10 years ago when the economy was strong and they had trouble filling back then too. There are plenty of jobs that pay $10 or more per hour that one can get without a 4 year Bachelors degree like entry level fast food jobs. A person can spend a year and become a medical assistant and start at an income between $10-$14 per hour.

Old 05-11-2011, 02:59 AM

35,309 posts, read 52,299,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This is pretty shocking.

THE PRICE OF COLLEGE: $23,000 Of Debt At Graduation

Liberals are always talking about the value of a college education, when they fail to realize that for many majors, (generally the majors most leftists major in like art, philosophy, gender studies, basket weaving, protesting), there is absolutely no value.

Want to be an electrician? Go right ahead, but first, you better get a 4-year degree or else you're a loser. Just major in history....or er um something, by the way, here's 23,000 of debt.

If everyone get's a bachelor's degree, then they aren't really unique anymore are they?

I have no issue with encouraging some form of post-secondary education, but is a 4-year university the only type that's worthwhile?
So you think a high school attendance certificate will be a valuable asset when you get into looking for a job? I'd say a bachelors degree in just about anything is going to trump your high school degree.
Also i dont think your analysis of what supposed leftists major in holds much credibility as most people who are in college are somewhat left leaning at that stage of their lives,also the hundreds of college students i know wouldnt waste their time majoring in the programs you suggest.
You may change your view once you get to college.

Old 05-11-2011, 07:54 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,815,462 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
Sadly I agree with the OP. A Bachelors degree has been cheapened because it is more common and with the advent of on-line degrees, a bachelors degree is fairly worthless these days unless one majored in a math or science related field and/or attended a top undergraduate university that can open doors for them.

The truth is one is better off attending vocational school and becoming an electrician than majoring in Philosophy or English when trying to get a job. There are a lot of tech/trade skills that better position one in the job market today that earning a Bachelors degree in soft majors like English, Philosophy, Art History, History, Sociology etc.
Ultimately, it is about... whatever floats your boat. If people think they can be more competitive in the job market, now and especially in the future without college degrees and just a few training programs (that college graduates can also acquire, in college or otherwise), more power to them.

But that is no excuse for pushing for limited accessibility to higher education.

Old 05-11-2011, 09:39 AM

19,112 posts, read 30,626,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by azriverfan. View Post
While I agree with your premise, let's also acknowledge that many companies are simply clueless with regards to their job requirements. These type of ads were present 10 years ago when the economy was strong and they had trouble filling back then too. There are plenty of jobs that pay $10 or more per hour that one can get without a 4 year Bachelors degree like entry level fast food jobs. A person can spend a year and become a medical assistant and start at an income between $10-$14 per hour.
Unfortunately, not where I live. The vast majority of jobs start out at minimum wage and are filled quickly. I live in a college town and most college kids are more than content to work part time for min wage, and businesses are pretty smart to hire 2 or 3 part timers instead of hiring one good full timer. No benefits, more flexible schedule and huge pool of workers. That has driven down wages to the point of $10 an hour being a great wage after being with a company 3 or 4 years.

It's one of the prices one pays for living in the 'happiest place in America'.

Old 05-11-2011, 10:30 AM
JPD

12,138 posts, read 18,294,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
This is pretty shocking.

THE PRICE OF COLLEGE: $23,000 Of Debt At Graduation

Liberals are always talking about the value of a college education, when they fail to realize that for many majors, (generally the majors most leftists major in like art, philosophy, gender studies, basket weaving, protesting), there is absolutely no value.

Want to be an electrician? Go right ahead, but first, you better get a 4-year degree or else you're a loser. Just major in history....or er um something, by the way, here's 23,000 of debt.

If everyone get's a bachelor's degree, then they aren't really unique anymore are they?

I have no issue with encouraging some form of post-secondary education, but is a 4-year university the only type that's worthwhile?
Your whole premise is wrong. I don't buy the notion that liberals are any more or less in favor of people going to college than conservatives.

My parents are very conservative, and they basically forced me to go to college immediately after high school. My options were go to college, move out, or stay home and pay rent.

I'm somewhat liberal (very liberal on some issues, kind of conservative on others), and I think a lot of the people who are in college would be much better off going to trade schools, or taking on an apprenticeship. Or even, if they have the means, spending some time traveling as far and wide as possible.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies