Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-10-2011, 09:19 PM

11,531 posts, read 10,314,816 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
What? He said that?

No wonder these guys get so upset when the Uncle Tom theads come up. They must hang around those types of blacks, which is why they're so suprised that some of us are a bit more militant.

Apes and chimps? Maaaaan...i'd come completely unglued.
Check this out, he expects you to keep it cool when you are called names, but he himself has gone ape***** when he hears the word TEABAGGERS.

To quote the Fonz, "Sit on it!"
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-10-2011, 09:23 PM

9,949 posts, read 8,870,949 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Savoir Faire View Post
Check this out, he expects you to keep it cool when you are called names, but he himself has gone ape***** when he hears the word TEABAGGERS.

To quote the Fonz, "Sit on it!"
Why are you trying to personally attack me? Why are you mad?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:40 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,893,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by california-jewel View Post
No i do not know what your saying. I have many wonderful highly educated black men as my friends. They aren't being antyhing but what they are, educated black men, and they in no way are trying to be white!

3 own their own business and 2 work in a place with high executives, one is in the entertainment industry.

I don't see that because a black man is highly educated, people seem him as White, bologna, today there are many educated black men that seek a very good education, and they are doing it because they are black.
OY VEY!!

Talk about completely misunderstanding my post and that comment. I'm not saying that white people think a black educated person is trying to be white -- I'm pointing out what EVERYONE KNOWS, which is that some black people accuse educated black people of trying to be white (which is completely ridiculous but hey, I'm not them so I don't know what they're thinking when they make those silly accusations.)

Old 05-10-2011, 09:43 PM

3,004 posts, read 3,893,719 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
You're cracking up for sure, at least we agree on something. Since when is expecting a person to have some class and not attack someone physically because of a comment = asking you to shine my shoes? One day you'll lose the crutch of racism and you'll be a lot better person.
That's what I'm wondering too. Maybe he'll answer. Is it because he's from Detroit?

Old 05-10-2011, 09:47 PM

19,567 posts, read 21,909,953 times
Quote:
So i should allow a person to just say anything to me without any consequences, and just let it ride?
Perhaps you should try having thicker skin,what do you care what others think of you?

Quote:
Pfffft....yea, ok. I can deal with a certain amount of political incorrect free speech, but i'll be damned if you're going to just say ANYTHING and i just ignore it. Oh hell no...that aint happening.

So like, if someone calls me the N-word in a pejorative manner, i shouldn't be trying to completely tear his/her head off?

You can try and do such things,and you would be arrested for assault,thus likely proving to the person that you cannot control yourself.

Perhaps people might try having a little self control?

They are just words,they carry only as much weight as you let them.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Then i just gotta be wrong...i guess.
Or dead.

Old 05-10-2011, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Yea...ok. Keep believing that.

I don't plan on stopping it. I WANT you to say it.

But don't pretend like folks don't know who they can and who they can't say certain things to. You're not going to call me a racial epithet, i know that much. You CAN...technically. But you won't. And if you do, i'm not going to be the bigger man....and you can put your paycheck on that.
Wonder you have lasted this long IF this is how you act in the real world.

Guess some people simply cannot control themselves.

Old 05-10-2011, 10:55 PM

14,848 posts, read 8,239,773 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by 70Ford View Post
I agree to disagree.

Free <-- speech is determined by the rulers, social norms and some WTF moments.

I don't think Free speech can ever be truly "free." Eventually, you are held accountable for the words you speak.
If allowable speech is determined by the rulers, then what is the purpose of saying we have freedom of speech at all? What was the intention of guaranteeing freedom of speech as a right, if at any point in time the "rulers"(majority) could just take it away? Under your system, allowed speech is only the speech that the majority agree to. But there is no point in guaranteeing free speech that the majority already agree to. The concept behind freedom of speech is that it guarantees that unpopular speech(the kind of speech that people want to silence) will be protected.

If speech is limited to only acceptable speech, then it isn't free at all, and we might as well rip that amendment completely out of the constitution.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oz in SC View Post
Protest all you want,do not however try to have laws enacted to stifle speech you find offensive.
You are exactly right, and this is what most people don't seem to understand. There is nothing wrong with protesting when an individual or a representative of a company makes a racist or inflammatory remark. Go ahead and protest, boycott, strike, etc. That is your right to disagree with someone elses speech.

What you cannot do is to use government force to prohibit someones freedom of speech just because you don't like what they have to say.

If I want to sit around all day saying women should stay in the kitchen. Then unless I am harrassing someone, I have the right to say that women should stay in the kitchen. Of course this forum could close my account, restaurants could stop serving me, and no one might hire me.

If that were to happen, those people would be "discriminating" against me. But it would be a perfectly legal form of discrimination, because it would be a popular form of discrimination. As opposed to unpopular discrimination(speech) which has been declared illegal(even if its declaration is actually unconstitutional). And for that reason, I am terrified of democracy, otherwise known as "tyranny of the majority".

Old 05-10-2011, 11:00 PM

7,085 posts, read 12,078,396 times
The government cannot impinge upon speech. That doesn't prevent your employer from firing you (private enterprise is not a government entity), your friends from not being around you (their right to choose their friends) and people calling you an idiot (their free speech). It's amazing the lengths people go to in order to force others to accept their bigotry, a rather creative redefinition of the first amendment.

Old 05-11-2011, 12:06 AM

56,988 posts, read 35,299,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Backspace View Post
Based on simple population numbers it's easy to figure out that white tax payers subsidize education for blacks, there's nothing wrong with that at all but don't try to say that black education is none of white people's business because the black population hasn't been doing a very good job of handling their business for decades now and when those uneducated children end up on the streets they aren't just robbing and killing black people therefore it is our business.
Whatever dude. Keep flattering yourself.

Again, if you can prove that i owe you something, tell me in a PM what i owe you and i'll mail it to you. I've paid taxes and subsidized a hell of a lot of white folks over the years too. Maybe i should ask for my money back since you wanna be so cocky about your tiny contribution to anything i've ever benefitted from. Black folks owe you NOTHING...not even a thanks. We've shed blood for this country just like everyone else....often moreso.

And how we handle our business is none of your business. You're not being consulted, and your opinion doesn't matter.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies