Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 05-17-2011, 10:30 AM
JJG

13,612 posts, read 22,940,501 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by clb10 View Post
Please name an ethnic group that is not subject to prejudiced beliefs by members of another ethnic group.

You can't can you?

That's because EVERYBODY JUDGES EVERYONE BY PRECONCEIVED NOTIONS.

This is called stereotyping.

The goal is to change those perceptions about your ethnic group by other groups.

It would be nice to live in a world where we are just human beings but that ain't gonna happen.

So until that miracle occurs the only thing you and others of your "group" (whatever that may be) is to act with self-respect, self-determination and maturity. That way new "stereotypes" will come to fore but they will at least be positive stereotypes (even if they too aren't accurate).

If you and others do that then "racists" and others with negative perceptions about your "group" will have no choice but to change those perceptions.

That is the whole point you are missing.

Its you that may be living in a bubble.

BTW, who still calls Germans Nazi's?

... I'm done. Can someone else please explain that there are people out there that will STILL stereotype negitively regardless of what the rest of the group does.

Anyone? Apparently my explainations aren't good enough.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-17-2011, 10:43 AM

5,960 posts, read 5,554,115 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJG View Post

... I'm done. Can someone else please explain that there are people out there that will STILL stereotype negitively regardless of what the rest of the group does.

Anyone? Apparently my explainations aren't good enough.
Perhaps it would help if you address my comments directly instead of "I quit".

I'm guessing your point is that blacks will always be a victim of racism because others, mainly white people, are just naturally racist against blacks. Your point is that blacks, unlike all other ethnic groups, are treated far worse than other groups because, no matter what blacks do, they are just believed to be inferior.

All I'm saying is that blacks are no different than anyone else. People judge blacks the same way people judge any other ethnic groups...by their actions.

If you want racism to disappear before you are happy and satisfied then guess what:

YOU WILL NEVER GET A 100% CONSENSUS FROM WHITES THAT BLACKS ARE COMPLETELY INCREDIBLE AND AWESOME. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE RACISM NO MATTER WHAT. EVERY ETHNIC GROUP (EVEN CAUCASIANS) HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT.

It is insanely simple and realistic.

Old 05-17-2011, 10:52 AM
JJG

Quote:
Perhaps it would help if you address my comments directly instead of "I quit".

I'm guessing your point is that blacks will always be a victim of racism because others, mainly white people, are just naturally racist against blacks. Your point is that blacks, unlike all other ethnic groups, are treated far worse than other groups because, no matter what blacks do, they are just believed to be inferior.

All I'm saying is that blacks are no different than anyone else. People judge blacks the same way people judge any other ethnic groups...by their actions.

If you want racism to disappear before you are happy and satisfied then guess what:

YOU WILL NEVER GET A 100% CONSENSUS FROM WHITES THAT BLACKS ARE COMPLETELY INCREDIBLE AND AWESOME. THERE WILL ALWAYS BE RACISM NO MATTER WHAT. EVERY ETHNIC GROUP (EVEN CAUCASIANS) HAVE TO DEAL WITH IT.

It is insanely simple and realistic.

No... for the last time, I'm saying that people of ALL groups, will ALWAYS be stereotyped in a negative light because some people will always refuse to see a group of people in a positive light because of prejudice.

The reason why I want to stop saying this to YOU is because apparently, that's not getting through. And the fact that you instantly went to the whole, "We blacks are the victims" thing on THIS post just further tells me that nothing's geting through.

So what's the point?

Old 05-17-2011, 10:54 AM

19,784 posts, read 15,139,326 times
Quote:
Commentary: Jill Scott Talks Interracial Dating - Essence.com (http://www.essence.com/relationships/commentary_3/commentary_jill_scott_talks_interracial.php - broken link)

Remember: There is no such thing as reverse racism

Big Hollywood » Blog Archive » Like Rapper Common, White House Guest Jill Scott ‘Winces’ at Interracial Relationships

I'm OUTRAGED, thoroughly OUTRAGED!!!!

This is my outraged face.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:15 AM

Quote:
No... for the last time, I'm saying that people of ALL groups, will ALWAYS be stereotyped in a negative light because some people will always refuse to see a group of people in a positive light because of prejudice.

The reason why I want to stop saying this to YOU is because apparently, that's not getting through. And the fact that you instantly went to the whole, "We blacks are the victims" thing on THIS post just further tells me that nothing's geting through.

So what's the point?
What you said (in red) is what I've been saying all along!

I'm confused. Where is the disagreement if what I put in red is what you believe?

Are you saying that you will only be satisfied when 100% of a group is completely "non-racist"?

My overall point is that though you can't COMPLETELY eliminate racism or negative stereotypes you CAN limit it by modifying internal behavior.

Most groups have done this with success.

Old 05-17-2011, 11:23 AM
JJG

Quote:
What you said (in red) is what I've been saying all along!

I'm confused. Where is the disagreement if what I put in red is what you believe?

Are you saying that you will only be satisfied when 100% of a group is completely "non-racist"?

My overall point is that though you can't COMPLETELY eliminate racism or negative stereotypes you CAN limit it by modifying internal behavior.

Most groups have done this with success.
OMG, dude, NO.

You've said that over time, racist views and negative stereotypes will just go away. Check back a couple pages. You kept saying the opposite of what I posted.

On top of this, you're putting words in my mouth and really, I'm just waisting my time here.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:10 PM

Quote:
OMG, dude, NO.

You've said that over time, racist views and negative stereotypes will just go away. Check back a couple pages. You kept saying the opposite of what I posted.

On top of this, you're putting words in my mouth and really, I'm just waisting my time here.
I put in red what you claim I wrote/said.

Here is what I actually wrote:

Post#110

Quote:
With the proper behavior racist views will simply erode over time.
Post #115

Quote:
As you shrink the amount of stereotypical behavior you shrink the power of the stereotype.
Post #118

Quote:
Their behavior changed so the stereotypes changed.

The Poles, Germans, Italians, Spanish and the Chinese...ALL of these ethnic groups used to be stereotyped one way and now those old stereotypes have either gone away or changed.
Post #120

Quote:
So until that miracle occurs the only thing you and others of your "group" (whatever that may be) is to act with self-respect, self-determination and maturity. That way new "stereotypes" will come to fore but they will at least be positive stereotypes (even if they too aren't accurate).
Now in post #118 I did write "...have either gone away..." so, sure, perhaps I assumed too much there but I think you have to agree that you exaggerate and misstate my words.

Once again,

Stereotypes are going nowhere. But positive stereotypes do exist. They may not be an accurate appraisal for a racial or ethnic group but its the best you can ever hope for when you are dealing with human beings in modern society.

Do you really expect people not to stereotype other people?

Old 05-17-2011, 01:12 PM

25,619 posts, read 36,768,884 times
Very convenient how all the posters who were appalled by my original "Dancing Monkey" comment completely forgot about the dancing, female, singer part and focused strictly on the monkey. Amazing how some peoples thoughts and perceptions focus their attention to only one part of that comment.

Good social experiment though.

Old 05-17-2011, 01:37 PM
JJG

Quote:
I put in red what you claim I wrote/said.

Here is what I actually wrote:

Post#110

Post #115

Post #118

Post #120

Now in post #118 I did write "...have either gone away..." so, sure, perhaps I assumed too much there but I think you have to agree that you exaggerate and misstate my words.

Once again,

Stereotypes are going nowhere. But positive stereotypes do exist. They may not be an accurate appraisal for a racial or ethnic group but its the best you can ever hope for when you are dealing with human beings in modern society.

Do you really expect people not to stereotype other people?
In no way... NO WAY am I saying that I expect no one to not stereotype. Where did you even get that from? You've done nothing but read what you wanted to read and put your own thoughts out to what I was REALLY saying.

Like I said, waste of my time.

Old 05-17-2011, 03:06 PM

Quote:
In no way... NO WAY am I saying that I expect no one to not stereotype. Where did you even get that from? You've done nothing but read what you wanted to read and put your own thoughts out to what I was REALLY saying.

Like I said, waste of my time.
O.K. then please point me to the post number where you make your point.

That's all I ask.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies