Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 01-06-2013, 01:02 PM

8,653 posts, read 6,129,575 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by shiftymh View Post
I think it's because the black culture in Europe is closer to the mainstream than black culture in the US.
So tell me what mainstream black culture is genius? Black culture just like Latin culture, White culture, Asian culture, etc. is very diverse. If you take a look at the entire African Diaspora culture greatly varies from region to region. Black culture in the Caribbean differs from black culture in West Africa, which differs from Black culture in America, which differs from black culture in Europe. So your claim that one culture is "mainstream" is false. It might be news to you but even in Africa there are different cultures...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 01-06-2013, 01:43 PM

72,971 posts, read 62,554,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The answer is far simpler than the question. I have many friends from England, and those who are black, don't segregate themselves and tend to be more sociable with others.

When you associate with people other than your segregated circle, then things like interracial marriage is more common as people of varying backgrounds, and race tend to not see color so much as the person whom they are associating with.
That is because England doesn't have the same history as the USA. You have to compare apples to apples. You don't have the same stuff going on in England as in the USA.

Old 01-06-2013, 02:16 PM

734 posts, read 932,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Darkatt View Post
The answer is far simpler than the question. I have many friends from England, and those who are black, don't segregate themselves and tend to be more sociable with others.

When you associate with people other than your segregated circle, then things like interracial marriage is more common as people of varying backgrounds, and race tend to not see color so much as the person whom they are associating with.
Generally speaking, Europeans tend to be far more sociable than white Americans.

Again, the biggest dividers in Europe are class (poor vs. middle class vs. wealthy) and religion (specifically Christianity vs. Islam).

Old 01-06-2013, 02:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lilly1224 View Post
Generally speaking, Europeans tend to be far more sociable than white Americans.

Again, the biggest dividers in Europe are class (poor vs. middle class vs. wealthy) and religion (specifically Christianity vs. Islam).
With over 700 million people living in Europe how can you make this claim? Even if you are well traveled there is no way personal experience can produce the data to support such a assertion...

Old 01-06-2013, 03:48 PM

734 posts, read 932,612 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SHABAZZ310 View Post
With over 700 million people living in Europe how can you make this claim? Even if you are well traveled there is no way personal experience can produce the data to support such a assertion...
My comment was in direct response to darkatt's generalizations about black Americans not being sociable.

Old 01-06-2013, 04:33 PM

Quote:
My comment was in direct response to darkatt's generalizations about black Americans not being sociable.
I'm guilty of not reading the entire thread... but generalization is always bad. People usually can't substantiate their claims...

Old 01-06-2013, 04:43 PM

6,391 posts, read 5,165,396 times
Quote:
I didn't say that any specific group was or was not sociable, I stated that in the U.S. many tend to segregate themselves.

After 10 years in the Navy, and traveling all over, and being introduced to a number of cultures in a number of countries, I saw it with my own eyes.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:11 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LAWS View Post
Ive NEVER seen a black female/white male couple in the UK. Where do you get the 30% figure from?

Are you sure its not for all non-whites. I see indian/chinese women with white men. NEVER a black woman though.
I think blacks make up roughly 2% or so of the UK; but I've read similar stats where black men marry interracially at 50+% and black women at 30%+ there.

I spent a semester studying there a few years back in grad school, and I did a lot of touring while I was there, and I didn't see it as much as I hear about it online. I saw a few mixed couples in London though, but not at Oxford, Manchester and other areas. I also saw a few black men with white women in Ireland, but not single mixed relationship in Scotland. I may have missed a few because I was too busy minding my own business..so who knows.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:21 PM

6,454 posts, read 7,007,212 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by BentBow View Post
In the UK, they didn't have a stake driven through the two.

They did not fight a civil war and then later after it was over, say it was over slavery, and not states rights. It created a lot of resentment in this nation. Forced diversification was not attempted in the European nations.
Well I agree and disagree. From what I've seen the blacks there aren't anymore "integrated" in the UK than they are here. And A LOT of the black youth there are largely influneced by African Americans where many of them see themselves as being socially distinct from the mainstream whites with some dismay. And many of the blacks there in large urban areas tend to pretty much live amongst one another. This talk about blacks walking hand-in-hand vis a vis a "colorblind society" with whites over in the UK is a bit of a myth.

Old 01-06-2013, 05:43 PM

18,258 posts, read 22,522,269 times
I will never understand why some people are so bothered by the decision of consenting adults of different races/ethnicities/colors/religions to have a relationship.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies