Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-15-2011, 05:21 AM

4,580 posts, read 4,125,459 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
I have no interest in discussing corporate taxation. Did my OP make you think I wanted to discuss corporate taxation?
No it sounds like you are trying to villify the poor and gain support for Prince John taxation. Tax the poor to increase the wealth for the rich and hope and pray and kiss the butts of the rich until they might create a couple minimum wage jobs.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-15-2011, 06:31 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,448,997 times
I am in the construction business. (water wells)

Have I worked for poor people??? No.

I work for myself.

Have I drilled for poor people.

Many times.

In fact part of the key to my success in finding ways to have their wells paid for.

The well we are drilling tomorrow will be paid for by their homeowners insurance.

So, if you look at it literally I will be working for an insurance company rather than a poor person.

Old 05-15-2011, 06:33 AM

21,026 posts, read 22,207,382 times
Quote:
Wealthy people are the people who create jobs. Taxing them to the point they can no longer expand their companies and hire more people makes no sense to me. My BIL told me about a caller who called into Rush Limbaugh to make that very statement. He said he never worked for a poor person.
Bush gave your beloved Wealthy huge tax breaks claiming they would create jobs....in case you haven't noticed THEY DID NOT create jobs for Americans in America...
Have you checked the unemployment rate for the last 3-4 years, have you heard anyone mention it...are you aware it exists???????
WHERE ARE THE JOBS YOUR GOD THE WEALTHY CREATED WITH THEIR HUGE TAX BREAK?

(Psst, the ones in China don't count)

Old 05-15-2011, 08:21 AM

1,458 posts, read 1,402,687 times
Goes back to the circular pattern of Capitalism.

You start with your base economy.
Population growth, export growth.
Demand grows based on the above
Companies hire more people after time to meet demand
This creates a larger economy with more disposable income, hence more demand
New technologies can hamper employment, which over time, creates more jobs in technology
Companies benefit from economies of scale and higher productivity, profits rise
As profits rise, dividends grow, more wealth created
Small business does better as they are indeed part of the demand curve
Disposable income gains, helping both demand and savings rates

In addition:

Smart tax policy, both federal/state/local, enables those in the consumer market to keep more of their gains.

This is where people have been hurt the most, in addition to inflation.
Local taxes and housing costs have risen steadily, as their disposable income were stagnant, or in decline.

No where in this cycle have I mentioned wealthy people, or their tax structures.
At the top end, their taxes are relatively low due to investment gains, rather than earned income.
When the economy declines, the labor force at the low end of the food chain usually gets hurt first, they are the front lines.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:00 AM

4,002 posts, read 3,916,764 times
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but upon after running a business for years, I'll look back and find my most profitable years were under Carter and Reagan .. Why? .. it could be any combination of things to be honest .. but once George Sr got into office, I watched the steady decline of profitability.

It didn't make a difference who was in office .. the tax code changed .. and prices for raw materials, along with fuel just kept going up and up and up.

I didn't start seriously considering borrowing until around 1998 .. I didn't borrow .. I thought about it though.

There were months when after cost meant I didn't get paid .. My emloyees all got paid .. all of my accounts got paid, including the Fed and the State .. but not me. All I was doing was getting the money, only to turn around and pass it all off to someone else.

Did I create jobs? Sure .. Was I rich? .. not hardly.

There are literally millions of people out there just like me that could be considered poor, that in the same turn, employ people.

Many employees don't have a clue as to what the employer might have to go through in order to meet payroll .. yes, it's true .. Many of us that might create the jobs, do the most work, and in the end, are paid the least ..

So whenever you hear the question "Have you ever worked for and been paid by a poor person?" .. the answer should be a clear and resounding "YES" in most cases .. simply because that's how it all works in todays business environment.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:28 AM

6,721 posts, read 5,217,563 times
yep, after I chased around looking for the next job, spent hours holding a client's hand or hours doing estimates and chasing down parts, I figured I was the lowest paid guy on my crew. they all headed home at 5PM while my day was only half over.
Quote:
Originally Posted by bigskydude View Post
I don't know about the rest of you guys, but upon after running a business for years, I'll look back and find my most profitable years were under Carter and Reagan .. Why? .. it could be any combination of things to be honest .. but once George Sr got into office, I watched the steady decline of profitability.

It didn't make a difference who was in office .. the tax code changed .. and prices for raw materials, along with fuel just kept going up and up and up.

I didn't start seriously considering borrowing until around 1998 .. I didn't borrow .. I thought about it though.

There were months when after cost meant I didn't get paid .. My emloyees all got paid .. all of my accounts got paid, including the Fed and the State .. but not me. All I was doing was getting the money, only to turn around and pass it all off to someone else.

Did I create jobs? Sure .. Was I rich? .. not hardly.

There are literally millions of people out there just like me that could be considered poor, that in the same turn, employ people.

Many employees don't have a clue as to what the employer might have to go through in order to meet payroll .. yes, it's true .. Many of us that might create the jobs, do the most work, and in the end, are paid the least ..

So whenever you hear the question "Have you ever worked for and been paid by a poor person?" .. the answer should be a clear and resounding "YES" in most cases .. simply because that's how it all works in todays business environment.

Old 05-15-2011, 09:41 AM

527 posts, read 469,022 times
The question which is the premise of this thread is just a typical right wing childlike attempt at logic to try to justify pouring more money into the pockets of the upper 1% of the country- you could also ask- Has a poor person ever dumped thousands of barrels of toxic sludge into the environment? Has a poor person ever swindled millions of dollars from the pensions of thousands of workers and only gotten a slap on the wrist? Has a poor person ever shipped all of the production jobs overseas after getting subsidies from the U.S. government?
These sorts of childlike level logic simplistic one word answer questions are supposed to shut up those that disagree with the askers simplistic, black and white way of viewing the world- when in fact they just make me realize those that ask these sorts of simplistic questions are just wanting simplistic answers and not really looking for solutions to complex problems.

Old 05-15-2011, 10:08 AM

855 posts, read 1,176,691 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by specialrequest View Post
The question which is the premise of this thread is just a typical right wing childlike attempt at logic to try to justify pouring more money into the pockets of the upper 1% of the country- you could also ask- Has a poor person ever dumped thousands of barrels of toxic sludge into the environment? Has a poor person ever swindled millions of dollars from the pensions of thousands of workers and only gotten a slap on the wrist? Has a poor person ever shipped all of the production jobs overseas after getting subsidies from the U.S. government?
These sorts of childlike level logic simplistic one word answer questions are supposed to shut up those that disagree with the askers simplistic, black and white way of viewing the world- when in fact they just make me realize those that ask these sorts of simplistic questions are just wanting simplistic answers and not really looking for solutions to complex problems.

what I don't understand is how people who are nowhere near rich advocate this behavior. how can anyone sit aside and NOT question tax breaks for the wealthy if they aren't wealthy themselves? I'm sorry but Rush Limbaugh, is RICH. Of course he's in favor of tax breaks. He's not poor, but how many people are rich on his level? Not many. Middle class business owners who are employing people are not even rich on his level. I don't know why that's so hard for those like OP to understand

Old 05-15-2011, 10:25 AM

25,842 posts, read 20,783,814 times
Quote:
No, this thread is about the ability of poor people to employ other people.

Well, if you believe that 'poor' is anything less than $500K or perhaps $250K, then, I'd say the answer is 'yes' - I've worked for, and been paid by, a 'poor' person.

A bit of perspective:

"Poore emphasizes, however, that -- like the vast majority of small business owners -- he isn't among the elite class of taxpayers making $250,000 a year or more. He and his wife take in a combined $80,000 a year from their business. "

Small Business Owners Demand Repeal Of Bush Tax Cuts For The Rich

Old 05-15-2011, 11:18 AM

15,145 posts, read 14,390,329 times

YouTube - Thom Hartmann debunks "Poor people don't create jobs"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies