Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-16-2011, 09:39 PM

19,012 posts, read 29,778,155 times

Advertisements

That is quite a punchline actually. Nobody told me Newt could talk
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-16-2011, 09:45 PM

8,396 posts, read 9,459,984 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
Excellent question and worthy of a thread about now. What a short memory the Republicans count on Americans having.

Where are the jobs Boehner????????
They created lots of jobs.

In Red China.

Old 05-16-2011, 09:49 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,027,922 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavaturaccioli View Post
Why is everyone glossing over the fact that Gingrich wants to replace food stamps with paychecks? That's a good thing, isn't it?

As things stand now, more Americans are on food stamps than ever before.
That's a bad thing, isn't it?
Not according to obama and his supporters;

SNAP Monthly Data

Just look at how much benefits per person and cost has increased under this president.

Since his job-killing fiscal policies have been enacted, it's no wonder people need more help than ever before.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackmccullough View Post
I'll just point out one crucial fact, and I know the right-wingers here will attack me for it.

Gingrich calling Obama the "food stamp" president is an obvious dog whistle tactic.

He can deny it all he wants, there is absolutely no question what he means.
So stating the FACT, that this president is overseeing a record number of food stamp recipients is racist? How convenient that would be for the Left and his supporters. Just think of all the issues where he has failed miserably that we couldn't talk about for fear of the race card.

Sorry, doesn't work anymore.

Oh, you DO know that whites outnumber blacks in receiving food stamps?

Old 05-16-2011, 10:03 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,212,868 times
guess you don't understand what a recession is, do you, it is a production decline, the DECLINE might have ended in June of 2009, but that doesn't mean we were in the clear. We were at the BOTTOM of a trough the recession created. We are still in the process of climbing out the trough...

But I think you know that, you just hope you can sell that BS for another year of so.

As for the "recovery" we have had SEVEN quarters of positive GDP, that have averaged 2.79% a quarter. FYI, Bush's 8 years averaged 1.75% a quarter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Ummm...we've gone way beyond the "inheriting" excuse. The recession ended in June of 2009, the recovery, or lack thereof, is fully on obama and his failed anti-business policies.

Oh, he didn't inherit a dang thing. He's been in Congress since 2004.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:07 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,240,110 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by buzzards27 View Post
guess you don't understand what a recession is it is a production decline, the DECLINE might have ended in June of 2009, but that doesn't mean we were in the clear. We were at the BOTTOM of a trough the recession created. We are still in the process of climbing out the trough...

But I think you know that, you just hope you can sell that BS for another year of so.

As for the "recovery" we have had SEVEN quarters of positive GDP, that have averaged 2.79% a quarter. FYI, Bush's 8 years averaged 1.75% a quarter.
1) You sat here and made non stop excuse for the food stamps by pointing out the recession for Obama, but then you didnt make the same excuse for the lower than average GDP under Bush because of the two recessions he oversaw. Selective impact of recessions based upon a D or an R after their name?
2) One might think that will all of that growth you are posting, we'd see a decrease in teh number of people on food stamps..
3) The GDP growth is as a result of government growth, not private industry growth. When you manipulate the GDP, the results arent the same as real growth, hence the number still on food stamps
4) The GDP increase includes FOOD STAMP SPENDING... The Obama stimulus bill included $300 BILLION in Food stamp increases.. So pretending this increase wasnt due to Obamas own bill is ridiculous.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:14 PM

6,721 posts, read 5,212,868 times
might want to rethink this post, you are attributing someone else's words or posts to me.
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
1) You sat here and made non stop excuse for the food stamps by pointing out the recession for Obama, but then you didnt make the same excuse for the lower than average GDP under Bush because of the two recessions he oversaw. Selective impact of recessions based upon a D or an R after their name?
2) One might think that will all of that growth you are posting, we'd see a decrease in teh number of people on food stamps..
3) The GDP growth is as a result of government growth, not private industry groth. When you manipulate the GDP, the results arent the same as real growth, hence the number still on food stamps
4) The GDP increase includes FOOD STAMP SPENDING... The Obama stimulus bill included $300 BILLION in Food stamp increases.. So pretending this increase wasnt due to Obamas own bill is ridiculous.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:16 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,730,651 times
Quote:
Um, we ended the recession in 2009..
I suspect you don't understand how recessions work. Employment is always one of the last indicators to recover. Ending the recession and not collapsing into a depression (thank you, Mr. Obama) just initiated the recovery process.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 PM

11,155 posts, read 15,730,651 times
Quote:
The stimulus was created because of the recession Obama inherited, so blaming him for increased food stamps due to a recession he didn't cause seems rather disingenous.

Could you also please provide citation for your $300 billion claim. That seems like a really high amount to spend on food stamps in an $800 billion overall bill.

Old 05-16-2011, 10:19 PM

41,325 posts, read 45,027,922 times
Quote:
might want to rethink this post, you are attributing someone else's words or posts to me.
No, I think he did pretty good pointing out the flaws in your argument.

Quote:
3) The GDP growth is as a result of government growth, not private industry growth. When you manipulate the GDP, the results arent the same as real growth, hence the number still on food stamps

Old 05-16-2011, 10:21 PM

69,368 posts, read 64,240,110 times
Quote:
Ahh nope.. I responded to you directly..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
I suspect you don't understand how recessions work. Employment is always one of the last indicators to recover. Ending the recession and not collapsing into a depression (thank you, Mr. Obama) just initiated the recovery process.
Ahh nope.. The recovery period began before Obama even signed the stimulus bill into law.. And the end of a recession is 2 consecutive months of growth in GDP, I know darn well how they work.. We had 2 consecutive months of growth, TWO YEARS AGO.. The employment growth also begin before Obama signed the stimulus bill into law.. The downfall in job losses again reversed before Obama could sign ONE bill into law.. It reversed so much so that Democrats were questioning the need for the stimulus bill.. You can thank Obama all you want, but I'll be still laughing at you for doing so..
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluefly View Post
The stimulus was created because of the recession Obama inherited, so blaming him for increased food stamps due to a recession he didn't cause seems rather disingenous.
ahh nope.. the recession was reversing before Obama signed the stimulus bill into law, and Obama taking nearly $1T out of the economy delayed any economic recovery that would have taken place. Well known economists like Alan Greenspan even said so.. YOU CANT TAKE MONEY OUT OF THE ECONOMY AND THEN EXPECT PEOPLE TO SPEND MONEY THAT ISNT THERE!!! its no coincidence that we are NOW starting to see a recovery AFTER the stimulus spending ended...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies