Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-22-2011, 06:13 PM

4,991 posts, read 4,506,565 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
You have Boiled Frog Syndrome or BFS. Your freedom is slowly being stripped away but you are too distracted with your I phone toy and the Royal wedding.
The Government knows if they can get away with reaching down your pants without probable cause they can easily take the next step. Soon there will be random vehicle stops along with cavity searches. Ever hear of car bombs? The sheep will comply and feel safer while driving.
What freedoms have I lost? Will one of you list them or will you keep babbling about frogs and royal wedding. It's apparent that the government is your boogeyman but I'm not afraid of things that I don't need to be afraid of. You have fun living like that. The patriot act has taken nothing from law abiding citizens.

"Soon there will be random vehicle stops along with cavity searchers"..You write that and call me sheep. Please, go fear monger somewhere else.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-22-2011, 06:41 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Frozenyo View Post
I read the article. It doesn't list a thing. It list things that "may" happen. I live in what we know not some random writers unfounded opinion of what might happen. Nobody can see the future. As of today, I haven't lost a thing.
The other day I lost my contact lenses, I just can't seem to find them anywhere. I blame it on that evil Patriot Act.

Old 05-22-2011, 06:47 PM

268 posts, read 391,921 times
Quote:
What freedoms have I lost? Will one of you list them or will you keep babbling about frogs and royal wedding. It's apparent that the government is your boogeyman but I'm not afraid of things that I don't need to be afraid of. You have fun living like that. The patriot act has taken nothing from law abiding citizens.

"Soon there will be random vehicle stops along with cavity searchers"..You write that and call me sheep. Please, go fear monger somewhere else.
It’s already happening. It’s called VIPER.

For example, last September, a VIPER exercise on Interstate 20 in Douglas County, just west of Atlanta, resulted in significant delays and traffic back-ups because of the massive and visible operation stopping all trucks travelling by a weigh station on the highway. The delays and disruptions were maximized because the authorities in charge of this particular training exercise decided to launch it at the height of the afternoon Rush Hour.
While this VIPER program netted no terrorists, there were a few arrests for more mundane offenses, such as drugs.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by handog View Post
It’s already happening. It’s called VIPER.

For example, last September, a VIPER exercise on Interstate 20 in Douglas County, just west of Atlanta, resulted in significant delays and traffic back-ups because of the massive and visible operation stopping all trucks travelling by a weigh station on the highway. The delays and disruptions were maximized because the authorities in charge of this particular training exercise decided to launch it at the height of the afternoon Rush Hour.
While this VIPER program netted no terrorists, there were a few arrests for more mundane offenses, such as drugs.

Am I fear mongering or do you have your head in the sand?
That's a TSA program that has nothing to do with the patriot act. Again I ask, what have I lost? I keep asking the same question and you keep answering your own. Here's a link to the article that you quoted and didn't provide, probably because you knew it actually has nothing to do with the patriot act. Next.

TSA

Old 05-22-2011, 07:03 PM

2,538 posts, read 3,877,787 times
Quote:
I'm a fairly liberal guy but I've never understood all the whinnig about the patriot act. I've never heard of anyone having any negative personal experiences as a direct result of the patriot act. Has anybody? If you're doing nothing wrong it appears that you'll be just fine which is true for about 99% of the population. It's been in effect for several years and I hear so many complain about it but nobody that's actually been effected by it. It sort of goes hand and hand with airport body scanners and/or pat downs. THe extra 1-2 minutes it takes me to take my shoes and belt off has never caused me any trauma but I hear so many whine incessantly about it. Well, that's until something goes BOOM..Anyway, just my thoughts, flame away at your leisure.
Okay, I have to be honest....you lost me after the first sentence.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skyegirl View Post
Okay, I have to be honest....you lost me after the first sentence.
I have to be honest....I don't know why you posted.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:11 PM

Quote:
I have to be honest....I don't know why you posted.
Because you are posting how you are "fairly liberal", yet struggle with understanding the rights "you claim" have not been taken away with the implementation of the Patriot Act. I smell a troll.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:18 PM

Quote:
Because you are posting how you are "fairly liberal", yet struggle with understanding the rights "you claim" have not been taken away with the implementation of the Patriot Act. I smell a troll.
Uhh. I didn't know every liberal thought excatly the same about every subject. If you think I'm trolling, read my posts in other threads. I have no reason to troll just like I have no reason to be afraid of the patriot act. I haven't lost anything and now 10 pages into this thread, NOBODY can tell me what I've lost. Maybe, if liberals like conservatives don't just assume the position of their political affiliation, maybe we'd be better off. I don't accept positions just because most liberals accept them. I base my positions on evidence not party or political persuasion.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:29 PM

Well, kudos to you and your independent thoughts. I am what one would call a "good" citizen, not too many reasons for the government to stalk me. However, I do have a problem with the fact that they "could" purposely/accidentally listen in on personal phone calls, check my library records or harrass me due to the color of my skin (especially if I were Muslim) because I "could" be a threat.
Let's not even get into the "no fly" list. What a joke. Also, I am offended that I am felt up every time I enter an airport, by some person who may, or may not, have even a GED. Hello, I am flight crew just trying to go to work.
So, I am glad you aren't bothered by this, but I am.

Old 05-22-2011, 07:34 PM

950 posts, read 1,515,820 times
Quote:
Well, kudos to you and your independent thoughts. I am what one would call a "good" citizen, not too many reasons for the government to stalk me. However, I do have a problem with the fact that they "could" purposely/accidentally listen in on personal phone calls, check my library records or harrass me due to the color of my skin (especially if I were Muslim) because I "could" be a threat.
Let's not even get into the "no fly" list. What a joke. Also, I am offended that I am felt up every time I enter an airport, by some person who may, or may not, have even a GED. Hello, I am flight crew just trying to go to work.
So, I am glad you aren't bothered by this, but I am.

You should move to a country that has more freedom than the U.S. Why do you continue to live in America which is the Western version of North Korea when it comes to lack of freedom.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies