Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 05-28-2011, 04:15 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,018,098 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Don't you know? The new thinking in the good ole' USA is that the end justifies the means. Thus, it is perfectly alright to make death threats or use racial and other slurs as long as it is directed against someone with whose political thought you don't agree. Just like it is perfectly alright to use water torture on SUSPECTED potential terrorists (innocent until proven guilty? Clearly, you jest) IF doing so means we may, potentially, extract valuable information. Shooting Gifford is just a natural consequence of such thoughts. It's the new/old American way that keeps gaining popularity until we are at a point where we look back at our own history and wonder how this generation ever could have been so blinded by fear and hate. Seems we need to repeat these behaviors endlessly throughout history with following generations quickly forgetting all that should have been learned.

Fortunately, these types of people are still a relatively small and misguided minority and hopefully do not represent either party as a whole...

I didn't get that memo...but I certainly agree with your post. What's sad is that our religious leaders too often lead the charge, and do very little to encourage loving one another.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 05-28-2011, 04:55 PM

41,325 posts, read 44,966,939 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
Those who see nothing wrong or particularly incendiary about the letter have already forgotten Gabrielle Giffords and those who were killed while lined up to meet their representative. Loughner has many acolytes, and the man recently apprehended in Wisconsin is proof. Humanity is assuredly forgotten, as are civility and common decency. This thread demonstrates that thinking...all limbic brain and no frontal lobes.
How interesting you don't mention all the death threats received by the right side of the aisle...or don't those count?

Old 05-28-2011, 05:09 PM

6,193 posts, read 5,371,679 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Evenstar51 View Post
I didn't get that memo...but I certainly agree with your post. What's sad is that our religious leaders too often lead the charge, and do very little to encourage loving one another.
Golly, you mean like Jeremiah Wright, Michael Phleger and Louis Farakan?

Old 05-28-2011, 05:14 PM

52,291 posts, read 52,734,263 times
I see we have another well read and grounded individual.

Old 05-28-2011, 05:56 PM

5,767 posts, read 5,018,098 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wrench409 View Post
Golly, you mean like Jeremiah Wright, Michael Phleger and Louis Farakan?

No; they aren't major representatives of large religious communities. Only Farrakhan reprents a significant membership, and it's still quite small. Members of the Nation of Islam number between 20,000 to 50,000; hardly "major." I was writing more in terms of Pat Robertson, Jimmy Swaggart, and the current Pope, who was a member of the Hitler Youth and helped Nazis escape to Central and South America as WW II was ending. They reach millions, worldwide.

Old 05-28-2011, 06:00 PM

7,835 posts, read 8,444,205 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by renault View Post

Exactly. Where was her outrage when somebody sent Rep. Peter King a bloody pig's foot and letter full of hateful, anti-semitic slurs? I'll bet she was secretly applauding. We know liberals pick-and-choose which hateful acts to "tolerate" (gay and racial slurs from black basketball players is also acceptable behavior to them).
Would you like to place a bet as to whether or not I even knew about that incident?

I'll tell you what, I'll make it easy for you to win. I'll give you the answer ahead of time, how's that?

I had no idea.

I guess that makes your bet on whether or not I was "secretly applauding it" a loser. But hey, you can't win 'em all.

I condemn such a vile act regardless who the target is, and that includes Peter King.
Quote:
Originally Posted by BigJon3475 View Post

As bad as it sounds, it's likely more common than not.

Of course that won't stop a politician from using it for political gain.
Don't read very well, do you? What's the title of this thread? Go on, I'll wait. Actually, no I won't. I have much better things to do with my time. But I'll see if you've answered correctly next time I check in.

Old 05-29-2011, 07:45 AM

14,483 posts, read 11,291,687 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by vamos View Post
Really? Instead of objecting to this letter, we haphazardly conjecture the political orientation of the author and attempt to use it to defile a particular political orientation?

Seems to me like the author of the note is not the only one with questionable mental health. Not only that, but the only contributor who raises objection is immediately attacked? Some of you really need to see a therapist - you are in dire need of help.
Well that's all fine and dandy there vamos but this is the politics and other controversies board, people tend to get political and controversial here. So you and Jill61 need to stop acting like "babes in the woods". The act ain't workin'!

Of course the letter is horrific, it is also the product of a sick mind, most likely from the far right.
I have seen invective on this board from people on the left that, while certainly not this dangerous, definitely approaches it.

Old 05-29-2011, 09:46 AM

5,998 posts, read 3,737,449 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by OhioIstheBest View Post
Well, it aint Tea Party people that do that. Though you don't seem to be bothered by people that say it is.

By the way, the Westboro Baptist Church is run by Democrats. Some would say they are anti-gay.

The Demcrats in D.C want Isreal to commit suicide. Some would say that is anti-Jew.

Guess you did forget some facts.
You are trying to tell me that the right wing Christian conservatives are not the ones trying to deny gays their rights and continually engaging in hateful behavior towards them?

18 Anti-Gay Groups and Their Propaganda | Southern Poverty Law Center

The Dems in DC want the Jews to commit suicide??? That is purely conjecture based on your opinion. Please show me facts that the Democrats in DC want Jews to commit suicide. Go ahead show me.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies