Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-01-2011, 05:15 AM

2,208 posts, read 1,836,450 times

Advertisements

I don't understand why people are bashing you for posting. You are simply illustrating that there is a lot of diversity in the Muslim community. It's odd that people are quick to point out diversity in their religions/communities/groups/etc, but are just as quick to stereotype other religions/communities/groups/etc.

Having lived in Saudi Arabia and being half Ivorian, I have met A LOT of Muslims in my day. Some are anti-American, many aren't. Why not embrace those that aren't anti-American?

The title of the thread is "A lot of dumb Americans have negative misconception (sic.) when I say I am Muslim". It does not say "All Americans are dumb and have negative misconceptions when I say I am Muslim". There is a difference.

I implore everyone to simply ask themselves, what does it matter what a person decides as a religion or even call themselves? Just remember, your liberties end the at the tip of my nose, just as my liberties end at the tip of your nose.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-01-2011, 05:19 AM

4,100 posts, read 4,517,673 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by calibro1 View Post
I don't understand why people are bashing you for posting. You are simply illustrating that there is a lot of diversity in the Muslim community. It's odd that people are quick to point out diversity in their religions/communities/groups/etc, but are just as quick to stereotype other religions/communities/groups/etc.

Having lived in Saudi Arabia and being half Ivorian, I have met A LOT of Muslims in my day. Some are anti-American, many aren't. Why not embrace those that aren't anti-American?

The title of the thread is "A lot of dumb Americans have negative misconception (sic.) when I say I am Muslim". It does not say "All Americans are dumb and have negative misconceptions when I say I am Muslim". There is a difference.

I implore everyone to simply ask themselves, what does it matter what a person decides as a religion or even call themselves? Just remember, your liberties end the at the tip of my nose, just as my liberties end at the tip of your nose.
true. Not sure why so many are getting worked up over this...

Old 06-01-2011, 05:30 AM

29,939 posts, read 39,468,904 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
First of let me start of by saying I am Muslim guy. When I tell a stranger I am Muslim often enough they have tons of misconceptions. Then there are people I know and I tell them I am Muslim. They are usually surprised since I don't seem like the Muslims they have in their mind. Here is a short list of what I have seen:

1.) Americans think all Muslim are foreigners and they have a foreign home country to go back to. But I was born in US and only have US citizenship, I definitely don't have another country to go back to! I know a lot Muslim in younger generation are in similar situation as me.

2.) For some reason Muslims immediately associated as fundamentalist. But I know a lot of Muslims, like me, who aren't religious. For example, I would never take the Koran literally or say it is 100% right. I will admit there are lot of stupid things written in Koran when I read it last long time ago!

3.) Many westerners expect Muslim women to wear Hijab or Burka. No women in my immediate family or friends wear anything to cover their heads. Often some people are surprised to hear they are Muslim.

4.) A lot of Americans things all Muslim are extremely socially conservative. I most defintely am not. I am all for Gay Marriage, legalization of illegal drugs and prostitution!

I seriously do thing people then lump all these different people, like Muslim, into one big category. They really need to realize not all Muslims are alike!
You're a reluctant atheist or maybe a deist.

Old 06-01-2011, 05:42 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,858,215 times
The OP is just proving his point.

Old 06-01-2011, 06:56 AM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
"Wariness" is my gut instinct today when I see a Muslim couple today, even if they are doing nothing more than shopping in Walmart.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:46 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
I don't know if the OP is for real or not, but I know a lot of Muslims that fit the OP's description. I think the OP may have been trying to make a point and made it out to be himself as a way to make the point more powerful but ended up distracting people.

I know Muslims that don't wear hijab and that eat bacon but they live by the basic tenants of the Qur'an. There are different degrees of devotion to Islam just as there are with Judaism and Christianity. Not all Christians are fundamentalists and not all Jews are Hasidic, etc. In fact most Jews and Christians aren't that extremist, and the same thing happens in the Muslim world.

Old 06-01-2011, 07:50 AM

10,449 posts, read 12,464,091 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by hammertime33 View Post
I know some socially liberal Muslims. I even know a few gay Muslims.
Al-Fatiha Foundation - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Liberal and moderate movements within Islam - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Old 06-01-2011, 11:06 AM

13,691 posts, read 18,456,585 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by nimchimpsky View Post
I don't know if the OP is for real or not, but I know a lot of Muslims that fit the OP's description. I think the OP may have been trying to make a point and made it out to be himself as a way to make the point more powerful but ended up distracting people.

I know Muslims that don't wear hijab and that eat bacon but they live by the basic tenants of the Qur'an. There are different degrees of devotion to Islam just as there are with Judaism and Christianity. Not all Christians are fundamentalists and not all Jews are Hasidic, etc. In fact most Jews and Christians aren't that extremist, and the same thing happens in the Muslim world.
And all this means is that organized religions to most people is an a-la-carte proposition. They pick and choose what to practice and what not to practice. Which to me says if you're going to be a half way Muslim, or Christian what's the point of practicing a religion at all. Go by the book. That's what the intent of religion is anyhow, it's control.

If the original intent of religion is to follow the book then don't select which bits that are palatable to you and discard the rest, eat it all, or, don't eat it at all.

Armchair Muslims, Armchair Christians etc. Hypocrites all.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:42 PM

14,810 posts, read 16,209,541 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by LuckyGem View Post
And all this means is that organized religions to most people is an a-la-carte proposition. They pick and choose what to practice and what not to practice. Which to me says if you're going to be a half way Muslim, or Christian what's the point of practicing a religion at all. Go by the book. That's what the intent of religion is anyhow, it's control.

If the original intent of religion is to follow the book then don't select which bits that are palatable to you and discard the rest, eat it all, or, don't eat it at all.

Armchair Muslims, Armchair Christians etc. Hypocrites all.
I can't agree with that. I view the holy books of all religions as guides, not strict military-like instruction manuals. Truth is where you find it and if your mind is uncluttered with dogma and your heart free of angst you will recognize that truth no matter where it is. Language changes and things get lost in translation over the centuries. Many people--perhaps most--simply develop the ability to discern right from wrong as they mature and gain life experience. There is no need to throw the baby out with the bath water.

Old 06-01-2011, 04:54 PM

1,770 posts, read 2,897,817 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by unseengundam View Post
I seriously do thing people then lump all these different people, like Muslim, into one big category. They really need to realize not all Muslims are alike!
I'm not sure if someone quoted you on this but... you're lumping all Americans together....
Perhaps you should get out of Texas. They aren't known for their tolerance of other religions..lol
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies