Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-02-2011, 08:55 AM

20,948 posts, read 19,060,276 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by Neuling View Post
Why would you? Hm, because despite our long life expectancy, the prime years of life are between 20 and 40, and those 20 years pass pretty fast, the faster the more industrious you are. Before you know it your prime years are gone, health issues start to bug you, good looks go down the drain, etc.

Workoholism is an illness
What is your financial situation?

As if I didn't know.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-02-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferd View Post
this should disqualfy you from being allowed to vote.
Awesome reply!

Old 06-02-2011, 09:03 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by alphamale View Post
Who the hell SHOULD have profited from his work and ideas?

Microsoft is a "bubble"?
There is nothing wrong with an honest developer or inventor (which doesn't necessarily include Gates in my view) earning well, But with people like Gates or Jobs the whole thing got totally blown out of proportion.

Yes, in a way Microsoft is a giant bubble, just like Google etc. That's why MS is pissed by software pirates, they are needles threatening to make the bubble burst.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:04 AM

1,040 posts, read 1,335,038 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SoCalCroozer View Post
LMAO! Are you really serious? This is such a simplified ignorant view of not only wealth creation but economics in general......especially capitalism.

There is a fixed amount of wealth in the world as there are a fixed amount of resources in the world. Do you believe money grows on trees? That's basically what you are saying. Natural resources are what makes the world go round. That and the fact that there are third world poor willing to mine diamonds, and sew a pair of Nike shoes for less than a nickel a day.
Really? So a tree in the forest is worth the same as finished furniture? Iron ore is worth the same as a finished automobile? Crude oil in the ground is worth the same as refined gasoline? If you're going to challenge my economic prowess, please at least use an argument with some teeth.

Whenever you make or do something that someone else is willing to exchange goods or services for, you create wealth. Whenever you consume things or use them up, you destroy wealth. It's really a simple concept.

For example, when you go to work you provide a service to your employer that they are willing to pay you for. They, in turn, coordinate your services with the services of others to make or provide something worth more than the combined cost of labor and materials.

Profit makes the world go round: a voluntary exchange of goods or services which is mutually beneficial to both parties involved.

So, please explain how this "simplified, ignorant view" is incorrect.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:05 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,356,060 times
Quote:
Why would you? Hm, because despite our long life expectancy, the prime years of life are between 20 and 40, and those 20 years pass pretty fast, the faster the more industrious you are. Before you know it your prime years are gone, health issues start to bug you, good looks go down the drain, etc.

Workoholism is an illness
Not interested in setting home and getting fat.

Last edited by Driller1; 06-02-2011 at 09:13 AM..

Old 06-02-2011, 09:10 AM

25,947 posts, read 24,756,050 times
Quote:
What is your financial situation?

As if I didn't know.
It's OK. I am not rich, never will be, simply because I don't want to be. I could work more if I wanted to, but I am happy with my low-key lifestyle and part-time workload as a freelancer

Even spending time on this board makes more sense to me than most of my work. Reading and thinking about different ideas and topics helps me as a person, more than my work does. If I worked 60 hours a week I would not have the time and energy to do things like writing on boards, reading on websites, etc. I used to have a full-time in-house job many years ago, it just wasn't for me, it was so obvious to me that I was wasting my life.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:16 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:
There is nothing wrong with an honest developer or inventor (which doesn't necessarily include Gates in my view) earning well, But with people like Gates or Jobs the whole thing got totally blown out of proportion.

Yes, in a way Microsoft is a giant bubble, just like Google etc. That's why MS is pissed by software pirates, they are needles threatening to make the bubble burst.
Any company should be upset over pirates..they STEAL what you created.
Want to work in software for free..go to Linux and design your heart away for nothing.

MS is no bubble. They've proven themselves for several decades now.
Do you even understand what a "bubble" is ?

Linkedin is your "bubble" company.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:17 AM

Quote:
It's OK. I am not rich, never will be, simply because I don't want to be. I could work more if I wanted to, but I am happy with my low-key lifestyle and part-time workload as a freelancer

Even spending time on this board makes more sense to me than most of my work. Reading and thinking about different ideas and topics helps me as a person, more than my work does. If I worked 60 hours a week I would not have the time and energy to do things like writing on boards, reading on websites, etc. I used to have a full-time in-house job many years ago, it just wasn't for me, it was so obvious to me that I was wasting my life.
As long as you are set up for retirement, without becoming a ward of the state.

"I'm not rich because I choose not to be" is as good as saying "I don't have the work ethic or the intelligence and that's a great excuse for my failures".

Old 06-02-2011, 09:21 AM

86,052 posts, read 84,519,997 times
Quote:

"I'm not rich because I choose not to be" is as good as saying "I don't have the work ethic or the intelligence and that's a great excuse for my failures".
I disagree. Not everyone wants millions in the bank and everyone's level of financial comfort is different.

Some value more freedom at the expense of riches and find their financial comfort level to live the way they want.

"The one with the most toys wins" does not apply to everyone.

Old 06-02-2011, 09:25 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,135,461 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by shorebaby View Post
Sorry PG wrong. Is there more wealth today than 2,000 years ago? The answer is obviously yes. How is that possible if wealth is zero sum?

The guy who invented the first hammer created wealth as did the inventor of Cable TV as did Bill Gates. Before these folks created their inventions the wealth associated with these things didn't exist. Do me a favor, Google economy and zero sum and see what you find to support your view.
Considering 2,000 years ago, they didnt use dollars, I'm not sure how you can compute if there is more now than before..

Is there more now than 100 years ago? Not really, rich people were rich then, rich people are rich now.. Sure now they have more wealth as a $ figure, but because the dollar isnt the same now as it was then, a millionaire now isnt the same as a millionaire 100 years ago..

Its like some of you guys have never heard of the Rockefellers, who's wealth would be about $310B in todays dollar, or Carnegie, $300B.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies