Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 12-01-2008, 03:28 PM

972 posts, read 1,332,556 times

Advertisements

This message is hidden because JTraik is on your ignore list
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 12-01-2008, 03:39 PM

3,292 posts, read 4,479,230 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I am convinced that there is more stupidity in America every year. Our culture is being dumbed down. I do not know if it is because the average IQ of the average person in our country is actually going down, or it is just the advertising industry and media who have decided to dumb down everything to make more money.

Here are some examples of the dumbing down of the American Culture:

Hip Hop Gangster Rap
How does hip hop dumb anything down? Have you ever listened to any hip hop?

Old 12-01-2008, 03:54 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I am convinced that there is more stupidity in America every year. Our culture is being dumbed down. I do not know if it is because the average IQ of the average person in our country is actually going down, or it is just the advertising industry and media who have decided to dumb down everything to make more money.

Here are some examples of the dumbing down of the American Culture:

Hip Hop Gangster Rap
Rising High School Dropout Rate
The TV News Channel
Tabloids (Paris, Brittany, Lindsey)
Quality of Movies
Multiculturalism
Political Correctness
Instant Messaging instead of talking face to face anymore
================
Is the American culture being dumbed down, or just changing?
An empphatic and resounding "Yes!"

Some master plan? Maybe. It's just that it is so insulting for the individuals that still have minds of their own. We are bombarded by the stupidity of everything that you have mentioned above. It's like that subliminal advertisng crap...who but the weak of mind could be manipulated by anything that that is dictated by Madison Avenue magazine,TV, radio ads, infomercials, etc? Look ate the so called celebrities that peolpe attempt to emulate and admire. Why would I be the least bit interested to read a raggy magazine story about some attention seeking celebrity who cannot keep their butts out to a camera. They do not read about my life, why should I be interested in theirs? I also detest logo clothing and bags. You give a person free advertising by wearing something that they did not even design themselves. Do idiots actually believe that one of the celebs actually went into a lab and developed a cologne? They stick their name on a bottle of toxic, smelly liquid and they make a fortune. Dumb morons that buy into this stuff are hopeless.

Old 12-01-2008, 03:56 PM

27,623 posts, read 21,158,566 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by FinkieMcGee View Post
I think that your query just proved the OP's point.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickofnyc View Post
I think that your query just proved the OP's point.
Oh really? How so?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:18 PM

8,978 posts, read 16,569,595 times
Quote:
Very frequently.....usually when waiting for a green light at an intersection. Are you suggesting we have a choice?

Old 12-01-2008, 04:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Very frequently.....usually when waiting for a green light at an intersection. Are you suggesting we have a choice?
I'm suggesting that people are pretty close minded, especially since you consider "listening to something" to be hearing it for 2 seconds blaring out of someone's car.

Hip hop represents the culture from certain segments of society and pushed forward a lot of issues that were definitely not in the eyes of society, giving people a voice. Look at groups from the early 90's like NWA or Public Enemy.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:38 PM

Quote:
I'm suggesting that people are pretty close minded, especially since you consider "listening to something" to be hearing it for 2 seconds blaring out of someone's car.

Hip hop represents the culture from certain segments of society and pushed forward a lot of issues that were definitely not in the eyes of society, giving people a voice. Look at groups from the early 90's like NWA or Public Enemy.
Yes, without even having to own an album, the very names of these delightful artists speak volumes about their uplifting message to our society. I'm curious..why do you suppose "NWA" uses initials instead of the full words in its title?

Sometimes, music just gives you a warm feeling all over. You can't HELP it.....it just puts you in a good mood. Thanks.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macmeal View Post
Yes, without even having to own an album, the very names of these delightful artists speak volumes about their uplifting message to our society. I'm curious..why do you suppose "NWA" uses initials instead of the full words in its title?

Sometimes, music just gives you a warm feeling all over. You can't HELP it.....it just puts you in a good mood. Thanks.
I dunno? Censorship laws?

Since when is music only good when it's uplifting? Sometimes stuff sucks and people need to express that.

Old 12-01-2008, 04:54 PM

Quote:
I dunno? Censorship laws?

Since when is music only good when it's uplifting? Sometimes stuff sucks and people need to express that.
I completely agree...sometimes stuff does definitely "suck". However, even when people 'need to express it', not everyone wants to hear about it.

The other day, I was suffering from violent diarrhea, chest congestion, and an impacted wisdom tooth. During all this, I discovered that my home had termites and my unemployed brother-in-law had just been thrown in jail....and believe me, it SUCKED.

But the funny thing is, I tried to share these facts with numerous shoppers at our local mall, and not ONE of them wanted to hear it ! I guess my story just wasn't uplifting enough...self-centered jerks, anyway !!
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies