Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 08-09-2007, 10:36 AM

37,803 posts, read 41,071,496 times

Advertisements

Kids who don't have to take 4 years of science and math so we have to import our scientists, doctors, engineers, etc. Then you whine when, after 4 years of majoring in Peace Studies or Women's Studies or Multiculturalism Studies in College, your little Mr./Ms Potato Head, has to start at some entry level position and continue to live at home until they're 30 unless, of course, they get a graduate degree in those fields and teach it in college to the next generation of Potato Heads.

Too much emphasis on your kid's self-esteem and not enough emphasis on competitiveness. Attitude: If it's too hard, you don't have to do it so we're raising a nation of quitters.

Parents, teachers and students who fight for no homework because they're all too lazy.

Multiculturalism over everything else so "nobody knows nuthin' about nuthin'."

Teachers who aren't qualified to teach the subjects they are teaching.

Parents who think their spoiled kids are too special to do the "jobs Americans won't do" after school.

A's for everyone so working hard in school has gone the way of the dodo bird.

School districts who experiment with the latest flavor of instruction for math and reading so they're in 6th grade and they can't read or make change.

High school students who couldn't pass a citizenship test.

Instant gratification. If it takes too long to do something it isn't worth doing.

People with the attention span of a nit on a gnat's n*t so they have to get their info in short soundbites.

The "if it feels good, do it" 60's crowd raised kids with no values at all. If it looks like an ignorant **** and it talks like an ignorant ****, then it's an ignorant **** even if the ignorant **** is on TV and/or makes a lot of money or the ignorant **** is you, the parent.

Parents who don't read.

The government in lieu of parents. They care as much about your kids as you do but, you know, it's EASIER for you to let them decide how to raise your kids.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 08-09-2007, 10:51 AM

50,403 posts, read 64,129,909 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dingler View Post
I am convinced that there is more stupidity in America every year. Our culture is being dumbed down. I do not know if it is because the average IQ of the average person in our country is actually going down, or it is just the advertising industry and media who have decided to dumb down everything to make more money.

Here are some examples of the dumbing down of the American Culture:

Hip Hop Gangster Rap
Rising High School Dropout Rate
The TV News Channel
Tabloids (Paris, Brittany, Lindsey)
Quality of Movies
Multiculturalism
Political Correctness
Instant Messaging instead of talking face to face anymore
================
Is the American culture being dumbed down, or just changing?
I think our education system is more than adequate if the family structure is in place to keep the children on target. Parents who care and insist on certain standards are what separates the winners from the losers.
The media absolutely panders to the lowest common demominator. Folks have a choice to let it into their lives or not.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:52 AM

5,407 posts, read 7,801,740 times
Laura be careful - it almost sounds like you are saying we need people to think...you know, be more intellectual.

Old 08-09-2007, 10:57 AM

8,289 posts, read 13,580,474 times
American culture has always been low brow....cheesy capitalism is the best way to express it. When is the last time America was excited over a painter?
Our culture appeals to the lowest common denominator.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:19 AM

13,026 posts, read 24,647,452 times
It's not just American society. I feel Europe is heading that way too as we go towards a globalisation of tastes and habits. We are losing more and more of our individuality and of our cultural characteristics in the pursuit of money and material things. We now live in a culture of instant gratification , of celebrity worship and a society where education is considered a poor second to fame and fortune. Having a Mercedes Benz and a house in Malibu is more important to people than education, culture,travel and curiosity. TV and other forms of media have saturated us with noise and mindless junk and we are becoming unable to think for ourselves unless somebody on a screen tells us what we should be thinking. We live to shop or to own, but we don't live. We try not to think and avoid any kind of deeper feelings or thoughts.
I hate this shallow, vapid society which feeds on mindlessness and leaves us intellectually and culturally poorer. Being brainy or creative is not cool. We are all supposed to be sheep, wearing the same fashion, with the same sunglasses,same haircuts, holidays and this is bland,bland,bland ! And blah too !! I feel we have lost our way and if we carry on this way we are heading for a complete meltdown.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:36 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,499,566 times
Well, I agree with a lot of what you are saying. It is the cold, hard truth and noone is addressing it. I think a lot of this should be looked at at the National level, but I haven't even heard education mentioned in this canidate for election year....it is all war and immigration.

I think the homework thing is the only one I disagree with.....what are they NOT doing in 8 hours a day at school that they need my child to do an additional 2 hours at home of busywork? I can homeschool a whole 8 hour day of public school in 2 hours to my own kids! It is overfilled classrooms with 90% of the time spent on learning to stand in line and raise your hand first!

Dawn

Quote:
Originally Posted by LauraC View Post
Kids who don't have to take 4 years of science and math so we have to import our scientists, doctors, engineers, etc. Then you whine when, after 4 years of majoring in Peace Studies or Women's Studies or Multiculturalism Studies in College, your little Mr./Ms Potato Head, has to start at some entry level position and continue to live at home until they're 30 unless, of course, they get a graduate degree in those fields and teach it in college to the next generation of Potato Heads.

Too much emphasis on your kid's self-esteem and not enough emphasis on competitiveness. Attitude: If it's too hard, you don't have to do it so we're raising a nation of quitters.

Parents, teachers and students who fight for no homework because they're all too lazy.

Multiculturalism over everything else so "nobody knows nuthin' about nuthin'."

Teachers who aren't qualified to teach the subjects they are teaching.

Parents who think their spoiled kids are too special to do the "jobs Americans won't do" after school.

A's for everyone so working hard in school has gone the way of the dodo bird.

School districts who experiment with the latest flavor of instruction for math and reading so they're in 6th grade and they can't read or make change.

High school students who couldn't pass a citizenship test.

Instant gratification. If it takes too long to do something it isn't worth doing.

People with the attention span of a nit on a gnat's n*t so they have to get their info in short soundbites.

The "if it feels good, do it" 60's crowd raised kids with no values at all. If it looks like an ignorant **** and it talks like an ignorant ****, then it's an ignorant **** even if the ignorant **** is on TV and/or makes a lot of money or the ignorant **** is you, the parent.

Parents who don't read.

The government in lieu of parents. They care as much about your kids as you do but, you know, it's EASIER for you to let them decide how to raise your kids.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:39 AM

4,139 posts, read 11,499,566 times
I strongly suggest you take a look at John Taylor Gatto's writings. He has hit some big nails on their heads, but noone wants to face all of the issues.

John Taylor Gatto - Challenging the Myths of Modern Schooling

Dawn

Old 08-09-2007, 11:53 AM

9,324 posts, read 26,777,875 times
I tend to blame a lot of it on the "homogenezation" of American culture. The presence of HOA suburbs and draconian zoning codes discourages individuality and fosters dependance on the powers that be. Look at how Katrina exposed New Orleans, we are mostly helpless thanks to Government regulations.

Old 08-09-2007, 11:58 AM

4,462 posts, read 8,038,274 times
Red states have the highest out of marriage birth rates and the highest divorce rates' -seems rather silly to have red state conservatives here preaching 'abstinence'

Old 08-09-2007, 12:00 PM

99 posts, read 351,498 times
Default Here we go again..

Real quick people...watch the movie Idiocracy !!!! It's brilliant.

PizzaGuy hit the nail on the head. This is all by design and ties into so many
other things people discuss on this forum. The people who really run this
country want it to go this way. They don't care about the constitution or
the American people. They are in the process of taking both apart. We know
it, most people are just still too scared to admit it to themselves. The signs
are everywhere. For us it starts with NAFTA, this the first step in their
New World Order. They would prefer if we were all dead. Unless we really
step up as Americans and acknowledge that we know what is going on, we don't have a chance. They want to own everything, and tell everyone how,
when, and where to live their lives. It is not because we need it, it is because they want to run everything. It's the MONEY, the bankers, they
are preparing for another round of pulling in all their chips. They want the
family to decline, they want both parents to have to work, only to still
be broke, stressed and in debt to them.

Most every government agency does the opposite of what their name would
indicate. Even those agencies, and all their resources, with good intentions originally are inevitably going to be used against us and to control us. People don't be so foolish. The gray area!!!! This country is not black and white. You cannot trust the media, TV stations, magazines and newpapers they are owned by the same people spoonfeeding you BS. Their biggest mistake was
9/11 because now people are getting hip to what and why "someone" stands to gain from all this. Money..the root of all evil is pulling the strings, don't just be a pawn in the game. I have barely scratched the surface. There is
only one goal and outcome to this type of plan and it is not pretty at all. It may not be for another 60 years until it really goes to hell in a hand basket or it could be much sooner. The bottom line is my life will be more difficult than
my dad's due to the building corruption. My sons the same ...and so on. Unless we call them out, rebuild and really set up a society like the one we
pretend we are in, and may have once had here and there, to a degree. There will be a point were it is too late for a revolution so to speak, will the
majority get hip and take action before then is the big question. So pull your
heads out of the sand, write letters, buy guns etc...but don't forget they know everything you are doing and can see and hear it already.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies