Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-04-2011, 03:27 PM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
They also have a tool called "stay the hell out of the way" which has shown success.
So your solution to a depression or deep recession is to do absolutely nothing? I never heard of wishful thinking as a strategy.

When has what you propose shown success?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-04-2011, 03:29 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,559 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NHartphotog View Post
And THIS is recovery? Praytell, what would be labeled "continuing stagnation"?
Yes, believe it or not the recession officially ended 24 months ago. I remember it distinctly because the breaking headlines interrupted one of the best episodes of Unreal Housewives of Pennsylvania Avenue, the one where - oh wait, I better not spoil it in case you haven't seen it yet...

Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Markets ebb and flow, doing nothing should allow it to rebound, as opposed to mandates up the ying yang after 1/20/09 (NHC) creating 2 trillion left better unspent, or worrying about WHER Boeing adds a production line (DUH-That's a ZERO sum game).

BTW, 2 trill is many millions of new jobs if spent on capital equipment, payroll, etc.

Old 06-04-2011, 03:31 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
So your solution to a depression or deep recession is to do absolutely nothing? I never heard of wishful thinking as a strategy.

When has what you propose shown success?
I'm sorry, but upon reading the Constitution, I was unable to find the mandate where the Federal Government was to act in the event of a recession or depression. Maybe you can find it since you're so smart.

So in the mean time, yes the government should do absolutely nothing. After all, didn't the government cause this crisis in the frist place with its "everyone should own a house" scheme?

Old 06-04-2011, 03:33 PM

18,665 posts, read 19,975,497 times
Madoff and Fastow had nothing up on Fannie & Freddy, in terms of creative accounting!

Old 06-04-2011, 03:51 PM
C.C

2,235 posts, read 2,363,559 times
Quote:
I never heard of wishful thinking as a strategy.
Ha ha - you have now!

I wish I would have spent another trillion or 2 on "stimulus"

I wish I hadn't promised to keep unemployment under 8%

I wish the dems had raised the debt limit another $5T when they had the chance

I wish I was running China instead of the US

I wish they'd let me give those 20M illegals citizenship so they can re-elect me

I wish they'd stop pestering me to make a tough decision and just leave me alone to play golf every day

I wish liberals didn't have to lie about everything to keep their jobs - that Clinton could lie without a teleprompter - I wish I could do that.

I wish the economy would get better - Timmy told me it would no matter what we did

I wish I knew what I was doing

Old 06-04-2011, 04:05 PM

5,997 posts, read 3,735,836 times
Quote:
How does cutting government spending create jobs? Government spending puts money into private hands who then spend it, creating a multiplier effect. Cutting spending cuts off money to private hands. Contractors layoff workers as government contracts are cancelled; government lays off workers, etc.

What you are proposing -- cutting spending in the wake of a severe recession is the exact opposite of sensible policy.
Your point is lost on conservatives. They just simply refuse to see it and can give no reasonable response as to why they feel as they do.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:34 PM

11,446 posts, read 16,190,050 times
If you right wingers have jobs why do you worry about those who don't?
What's in it for you?

Old 06-04-2011, 04:40 PM

309 posts, read 427,927 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wxjay View Post
^Correction: This is what hyper Keynesian cheerleaders like Paul Krugman have been warning. He has zero proof that had the stimulus been double what it was the country would be improved.

Simply put, the economy is global - we don't live in a bubble. Crises abroad that causes spikes in oil prices or concerns on the stability of the euro have a non-negligible effect on our economy. Yes, domestic policies are the most important, but to even pretend that economists have predictive skill in their models is absurd. In fact, as a climate scientist who readily criticizes the accuracy of our own weather and climate models, I contend that we have the upper hand on any sorts of predictability, not economists.

That said - once again, these policies are proving ineffective and our government leaders are running around just squawking to get political points without any jobs agenda. The Republicans should take leadership on this now and pass sweeping jobs creation legislation in the House. What's the problem here?
What would sweeping jobs creation legislation look like? I always believed the government didn't create jobs, the private sector did, until recently anyway. We now have more people working for the government than in the private sector. The tipping point has been reached.

Old 06-04-2011, 04:42 PM

86,052 posts, read 84,509,263 times
What jobs could the government possibly create besides more government jobs ?
The government cannot force companies to hire or do you think they can ? (GM doesn't count )
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies