Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 06:57 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,976,976 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think its funny that you sat here and blamed the GOP for perpetuating the problems, especially considering the whole crash took place under a Democratic Congress. It gets even funnier that you want to suggest more government spending, which would then increase unemployment even more.. But hey, you'll always be able to blame the GOP again, even if it does make such claims silly.
Ok, I'll bite. What policies of the Democratic Congress caused the crash?
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 06:59 AM

5,346 posts, read 4,053,933 times
I don't see any Republicans repealing NAFTA...

Old 06-03-2011, 07:00 AM

19,890 posts, read 18,780,556 times
By all means let's keep talking about helicopter rides and underwear pictures!

19,792 posts, read 13,976,976 times
This is exactly what liberal economists have been warning since 2009.

Quote:
Back when the original 2009 Obama stimulus was enacted, some of us warned that it was both too small and too short-lived. In particular, the effects of the stimulus would start fading out in 2010 — and given the fact that financial crises are usually followed by prolonged slumps, it was unlikely that the economy would have a vigorous self-sustaining recovery under way by then.

By the beginning of 2010, it was already obvious that these concerns had been justified. Yet somehow an overwhelming consensus emerged among policy makers and pundits that nothing more should be done to create jobs, that, on the contrary, there should be a turn toward fiscal austerity.

[MOD CUT]

Last edited by Ibginnie; 06-03-2011 at 07:23 AM.. Reason: copyright violation

24,621 posts, read 19,206,308 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
May be time to have a WPA type program to rebuild Infrastructure until innovation can create the future jobs.
The last time the Republicans tried to implement a WPA-style program, the Democrats rejected it and gave us the Grotesque Society instead.

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
A disaster, that's what we have in the obama recovery.
Well, to be fair, there was never any hope, and it wouldn't matter who was president, or who controlled Congress.

Quote:
Are they ever right or unsurprised anymore?
I'm right. As I have repeatedly said, you will not see an unemployment rate of 5% for many, many years, so everyone should just get over it.

You can re-elect Obama, or another Democrat, or a Republican and it won't matter. There's nothing anyone can do.

Quote:
The solution is cutting government spending, not increasing it.
And that would lead to an instant major recession, not a mild economic down-turn like you experienced a few years ago.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:01 AM

22,229 posts, read 17,884,920 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think its funny that you sat here and blamed the GOP for perpetuating the problems, especially considering the whole crash took place under a Democratic Congress. It gets even funnier that you want to suggest more government spending, which would then increase unemployment even more.. But hey, you'll always be able to blame the GOP again, even if it does make such claims silly.
I have never blamed it totally on the GOP. I find it funny that you think all this took place because of 2 yrs of Dem control of the House under Bush. The bubbles had been building for a decade or more, they burst. I blame Dems and Repubs for not protecting the Country. I have consistantly called for the Repubs to engage in the fixing process, but instead they use a pointless TParty sect to get political gain. Which, by the the way, is backfiring.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:02 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,208,994 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
How does cutting government spending create jobs? Government spending puts money into private hands who then spend it, creating a multiplier effect. Cutting spending cuts off money to private hands. Contractors layoff workers as government contracts are cancelled; government lays off workers, etc.
its not rocket science.. Where on gods earth do you think government gets the money from? THE PRIVATE SECTOR.. So you cant take money out of the private sector, and then expect spending to increase..
Quote:
What you are proposing -- cutting spending in the wake of a severe recession is the exact opposite of sensible policy.
Cutting spending, caused an economic boom under Clinton years. Sensible policy would be not taking money out of the economy and then by some miracle, expect people to spend more..

Old 06-03-2011, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Ok, I'll bite. What policies of the Democratic Congress caused the crash?
The Republicans tried for 5+ years to reform the mortgage industry to stop any bubble from taking place. They even had Congressional hearings, and the Democrats stopped reforms THIRTEEN TIMES. They even ridiculed people for suggesting there would be a future bubble that will burst..

Old 06-03-2011, 07:04 AM

3,478 posts, read 7,264,836 times
^Correction: This is what hyper Keynesian cheerleaders like Paul Krugman have been warning. He has zero proof that had the stimulus been double what it was the country would be improved.

Simply put, the economy is global - we don't live in a bubble. Crises abroad that causes spikes in oil prices or concerns on the stability of the euro have a non-negligible effect on our economy. Yes, domestic policies are the most important, but to even pretend that economists have predictive skill in their models is absurd. In fact, as a climate scientist who readily criticizes the accuracy of our own weather and climate models, I contend that we have the upper hand on any sorts of predictability, not economists.

That said - once again, these policies are proving ineffective and our government leaders are running around just squawking to get political points without any jobs agenda. The Republicans should take leadership on this now and pass sweeping jobs creation legislation in the House. What's the problem here?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
I have never blamed it totally on the GOP. I find it funny that you think all this took place because of 2 yrs of Dem control of the House under Bush. The bubbles had been building for a decade or more, they burst. I blame Dems and Repubs for not protecting the Country. I have consistantly called for the Repubs to engage in the fixing process, but instead they use a pointless TParty sect to get political gain. Which, by the the way, is backfiring.
I have yet to see you post ANYTHING other than "GOP".. You again are now calling on the GOP to engage in "fixing" process, while celebrating policies that would be even more destructive. Maybe you need to sit down and further analize the damages that would be caused if your suggestions were suddenly implimented. Here is a hint, look at the stimulus bill and the failure that has become. Dont like that one, how about the New Deal.. decade long failure.. And you want more of it..
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies