Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:44 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
I think its funny that you sat here and blamed the GOP for perpetuating the problems, especially considering the whole crash took place under a Democratic Congress. It gets even funnier that you want to suggest more government spending, which would then increase unemployment even more.. But hey, you'll always be able to blame the GOP again, even if it does make such claims silly.
1- Do you blame GOP for letting 9/11 happen under its watch (both Congress and White House)?
2- Do you blame GOP for the 2001 recession and its extremely slow job recovery?
3- Do you think 2007-09 recession wouldn't have been if democrats hadn't taken control of the Congress in 2007?
4- Would you blame GOP's "landslide" victory in 2010 elections if the economy collapses before the next election?
5- And if you still want to lay blame on democratic win and taking over the Congress in 2007 as the reason for recession, how about you also accept that under democratic congress, more jobs were added in a year (Jan 2007-Jan 2008) than under the republican congress before it in 4.5 years since the GOP had control of the Congress AND the White House?

Not that 83K jobs is anything to celebrate, but it IS more jobs added in private sector than were between Jan 2001 and Jan 2009.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 07:45 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
FAIL.. Bush tried to put people in homes.. There was never a demand to put those into homes that couldnt afford it. Why dont you start to post facts rather than the bs you read from a left wing blogger?
I posted you the proof last time, but strangely you have forgotten The mission was to get 5.5 million minorities mortgages they did not otherwise qualify for. Why would they need Bush's/GOP help if they already qualified

Old 06-03-2011, 07:47 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rhett_Butler View Post
Did you mean to say sustained there?

If so, there are tens of thousands of teachers, police officers, et al. that held onto jobs due to the stimulus... Maybe the stimulus ended up just putting off the inevitible in that sense though.
Yes, sustained, and I hate to inform you, but the stimulus spending is done. Its just about over. There is NO MORE teachers, police officers etc, being employed by the stimulus.. Funding ends, their jobs ended.
http://www.msnbc.msn.com/id/43172577...s-us_business/

Old 06-03-2011, 07:48 AM

76,971 posts, read 47,651,295 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by EinsteinsGhost View Post
1- Do you blame GOP for letting 9/11 happen under its watch (both Congress and White House)?
2- Do you blame GOP for the 2001 recession and its extremely slow job recovery?
3- Do you think 2007-09 recession wouldn't have been if democrats hadn't taken control of the Congress in 2007?
4- Would you blame GOP's "landslide" victory in 2010 elections if the economy collapses before the next election?
I sure don't see him blaming GOP for these job numbers. Strange isn't it? I do remember people like him trying to praise GOP for job gains earlier this year. Hmmmmm...

People and companies are scared stiff about what GOP is going to propose next.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:48 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,954,445 times
Quote:
Which was why the Obama stimulus bill was doomed for failure from the start. It was propping up government spending that couldnt be substantiated rather than encouraging true growth in the economy.
No, the stimulus was way too small in the first place from pure macro economic arithmetic.

But the argument that the federal government was stimulating while the States were contracting, is a good point.

A perspective by that right-hated (because he's almost always correct and so damn smart) Paul Krugman:
Quote:
Fifty Herbert Hoovers

No modern American president would repeat the fiscal mistake of 1932, in which the federal government tried to balance its budget in the face of a severe recession. [unless he took the advice of the right-wing nuts on City-Data] The Obama administration will put deficit concerns on hold while it fights the economic crisis.

Last edited by CaseyB; 06-03-2011 at 03:48 PM.. Reason: copyright - post just a snippet

Old 06-03-2011, 07:49 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,128,317 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I posted you the proof last time, but strangely you have forgotten The mission was to get 5.5 million minorities mortgages they did not otherwise qualify for. Why would they need Bush's/GOP help if they already qualified
nope.. no you didnt, nor is that what happened. When you start to post the truth, we can then discuss them. Again Bush tried to STOP the fundings. A fact you keep ignoring.. I wonder why

1,432 posts, read 1,092,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Can you be specific? What regulations are stopping business? There is this zombie lie out there that Obama increased the size of government. As I said, it's a zombie lie.

As yet, there has been no increase in taxation, on the rich or anyone else. Nor have the Obama administration’s medical and financial sector reforms really taken effect. It would take a remarkably far sighted private sector to have already reacted adversely to this set of long term reforms, even if they might do so eventually.

There is of course another possible reason why the US economy might not be converging on their long term GDP growth trends at present, and that is that there is insufficient growth in aggregate demand to fuel a “normal” recovery in output. The sluggish growth in US and UK GDP in the past couple of quarters has raised the likelihood that this is re-emerging as a core problem for the global economy. If so, is it really the right policy to cut trillions out of government spending, further cutting off demand?

No, Keynesian economics says to prime the pump and substitute government demand that is lacking in the private sector. You say Keynesian economics doesn't work -- obviously from your vast knowledge of macro economics.

What's stopping businesses is lack of customers? Businesses aren’t hiring because of poor sales, period, end of story:
Your wrong, I work for a fortune 50 company. Under the new Health care law a 2.3% tax on revenue (not profits!!) will be imposed on Medical technology companies to help pay for others health insurance.

Medical Device Tax Hits Most of Health Care Industry

For my business that is 46 million in new taxes in 2013....so, instead of hiring people now and laying them off in 18 mo...we save our cash in anticipation of paying this yearly tariff...by the way there is plenty of demand for our products....people don't stop getting sick....

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
I sure don't see him blaming GOP for these job numbers. Strange isn't it? I do remember people like him trying to praise GOP for job gains earlier this year. Hmmmmm...
Not strange. I fully expect that of such people.

8,802 posts, read 8,900,938 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
There is of course another possible reason why the US economy might not be converging on their long term GDP growth trends at present, and that is that there is insufficient growth in aggregate demand to fuel a “normal” recovery in output.
The problem with economics is Keynesian economists will use Keynesian forms of measurement to perpetuate their views.

You use GDP to measure the strength of the economy with C+I+G+Net Exports. The fundamental flaw with your economic point of view is that you think we have a consumption problem in this country, and that through consumption we can improve our economic problems, which is completely false.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
The problem with economics is Keynesian economists will use Keynesian forms of measurement to perpetuate their views.

You use GDP to measure the strength of the economy with C+I+G+Net Exports. The fundamental flaw with your economic point of view is that you think we have a consumption problem in this country, and that through consumption we can improve our economic problems, which is completely false.
Consumption necessitates manufacturing. Does Austrian economics dismiss consumption?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies