Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-03-2011, 07:25 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,978,065 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
Please, klugman has ZERO credibility. He is nothing more than a liberal hack spewing dem talking point.

How many examples of government interference (i.e. Stimulus) do you need to convince you it doesn't work?
Actually, Dr. Krugman was rated #1 in predicting.
Quote:
A Hamilton College class and their public policy professor analyzed the predicts of 26 pundits — including Sunday morning TV talkers — and used a scale of 1 to 5 to rate their accuracy. After Paul Krugman, the most accurate pundits were Maureen Dowd, former Pennsylvania Governor Ed Rendell, U.S. Senator Chuck Schumer (D-NY), and former House Speaker Nancy Pelosi. “The Bad” list includes Thomas Friedman, Clarence Page, and Bob Herbert. SOURCE
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM

589 posts, read 377,631 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MTAtech View Post
Actually, Dr. Krugman was rated #1 in predicting.
No.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:26 AM

69,368 posts, read 64,213,074 times
Quote:
First, I've discredited that statement the last time you used it but it's clear that YOU don't get it.
You pretty much embarassed yourself last time you attempted to discredit facts..
Quote:
This is not a time of high demand by businesses for money. The economy is flush with funds. Businesses have $2 trillion sitting on the sidelines.
So your solution, is to take this $2T, and then suddenly expect them to spend it at the same time? And you think you are discrediting my statements.. ooh the humor..

The economy is not flush with funds.. they are SITTING on it.. people sitting on money does not flush the economy.. I do enjoy your humor though..
Quote:
That's why Fed bills (10-yr.) are selling at around 3%. In short, the government isn't crowding out private demand for money.
On the contrary, the fact that they are crowding out the private sector is exactly why the bonds are paying 3%.. THERE IS NO WHERE ELSE.. What are you going to do, buy savings bonds paying 1% and lose your "profit" to inflation? Your another poster who pretends the nation is a static economy. I've got government guaranteed rentals paying a cap 10 out of fear they will default, thats beyond ridiculous. But hey, long as you can sit here and live in pretend land, everything is fine and dandy right?
Quote:
It's pure tried and true Keynesian economics. As you said, "its not rocket science" -- (at least for some.)
Name ONE time "keynesian" economics has EVER worked? Give me an example of a period in time.
Quote:
Second, Clinton didn't cut spending. He kept spending down to a 1% increases per year.
He kept spending below the national increase in GDP.. Thats the complete OPPOSITE of "Keynesian" economics and what obama is doing.. If you are doing the opposite, then why are you expecting the same outcome? Thats rather silly..
Quote:
Third, the economy under Clinton was different than today. Unemployment was low and jobs were plentiful. Back then, businesses WERE expanding and needed funds.
When the Clintons took office, unemployment was at 7.5%, when he left it was 4.2%.. Again, Clintons policies were the OPPOSITE of Obamas and yet you expect similiar results. Businesses were exanding because government kept money into the economy and didnt drain it
Quote:
Different economic situations require different responses. When I am driving my car, sometimes I use the accelerator and other times I need the brakes. Your policy is to always use the brakes.
FAIL.. You want to always use the gas in your car, and then expect all of the other cars around you to speed up, ignoring the huge cliff thats ahead of you. Its like playing a tug of war, you pull more, and then expect the other side to win..

Old 06-03-2011, 07:27 AM

41,325 posts, read 45,011,457 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by ozzie679 View Post
...and your reaction is
What's wrong - reporting the "news" leaves a sour taste in your mouth?

Tell that to virtually every news organization that will be reporting the wonderful results of obamanomics.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:28 AM

6,565 posts, read 14,311,052 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bideshi View Post
Why does anyone one still believe the 9.1% horse hockey? The real rate is closer to 20%. When people run out of UE they are remove from the "unemployed" list and statisticaly cease to exist. They still don't have a job.
Sure, but you can't change the unit of measure mid-stream here... (ie. Saying that under Bush unemployment was at 5% and then WHOAH LOOK!!! IT's 20% UNDER OBAMA!!!!)...

Old 06-03-2011, 07:30 AM

8,802 posts, read 8,912,503 times
Quote:
How does cutting government spending create jobs? Government spending puts money into private hands who then spend it, creating a multiplier effect. Cutting spending cuts off money to private hands. Contractors layoff workers as government contracts are cancelled; government lays off workers, etc.

What you are proposing -- cutting spending in the wake of a severe recession is the exact opposite of sensible policy.
Wrong. The multiplier effect has been disproven time and again. Just look at what happened with QE1 and QE2. The multiplier effect doesn't consider one small item: human beings aren't subject to silly economic formulas, or in this case, banks didn't lend money, so multiplier effects are out of the window.

Simply put, government spending takes money out of the productive part of the economy and puts it into unproductive areas. You will never create wealth or jobs that way.

Old 06-03-2011, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
Thirteen times in two years. Wow! I never heard of that before.
Thats explains a lot
Quote:
Originally Posted by Finn_Jarber View Post
In the other hand Bush and GOP controlled Congress embarkerd an on ambitious "mission" to put 5.5 million minorities in homes when they would not otherwise qualify a mortgage. They did it by loosening lending standards 40 times during Bush admin. We started paying the price for these policies in 2007 and it is still not over.
FAIL.. Bush tried to put people in homes.. There was never a demand to put those into homes that couldnt afford it. Why dont you start to post facts rather than the bs you read from a left wing blogger?

Old 06-03-2011, 07:32 AM

19,792 posts, read 13,978,065 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by sanrene View Post
You and millions of other people, which IS the problem.

You haven't discredit anything.

Keynesian doesn't work.

Obama's policies, his regulatory heavy handedness, his unpopular, unsustainable and unconstitutional obamacare is weighing heavily on business AND individuals.
Can you be specific? What regulations are stopping business? There is this zombie lie out there that Obama increased the size of government. As I said, it's a zombie lie.

As yet, there has been no increase in taxation, on the rich or anyone else. Nor have the Obama administration’s medical and financial sector reforms really taken effect. It would take a remarkably far sighted private sector to have already reacted adversely to this set of long term reforms, even if they might do so eventually.

There is of course another possible reason why the US economy might not be converging on their long term GDP growth trends at present, and that is that there is insufficient growth in aggregate demand to fuel a “normal” recovery in output. The sluggish growth in US and UK GDP in the past couple of quarters has raised the likelihood that this is re-emerging as a core problem for the global economy. If so, is it really the right policy to cut trillions out of government spending, further cutting off demand?

No, Keynesian economics says to prime the pump and substitute government demand that is lacking in the private sector. You say Keynesian economics doesn't work -- obviously from your vast knowledge of macro economics.

What's stopping businesses is lack of customers? Businesses aren’t hiring because of poor sales, period, end of story:

Old 06-03-2011, 07:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flize View Post
I think it's a wise decision, I could do the same.
I'm scared about the future now...
No need to be scared, things will be fine.. we'll just limp along until the government gets their act together and stops hindering the private sector..

Old 06-03-2011, 07:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by florida.bob View Post
When you have 50 States firing people, it not only results in Public sector job loses, it results in private sector loses as well.
Which was why the Obama stimulus bill was doomed for failure from the start. It was propping up government spending that couldnt be substantiated rather than encouraging true growth in the economy.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies