Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-03-2011, 09:08 AM

10,545 posts, read 13,588,653 times

Advertisements

When Obama said unemployment wouldn't reach 8% if we passed the stimulus, I didn't know he meant that we would stay above that number. I guess I misunderstood.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-03-2011, 09:12 AM

1,432 posts, read 1,092,221 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
How do you know that correlation=causation?
Lets compare numbers...huum, seesm it is so important to pick time horizons.....why dont'we look at something on a yearly basis..I would bet a better indicator, such as unemployment each yr would tell us more about the Economy, peoples QOL, etc. than job growth..since surely it is easy to stack the deck depending on a starting point...as illustrated below...

http://www.politifact.com/truth-o-me...bamas-first-y/

The Truth-O-Meter Says:
"In the first year of the Obama administration, more jobs were created in the private sector than in the eight years of the Bush administration."

Nancy Pelosi on Monday, May 16th, 2011 in an interview with Bloomberg television

Nancy Pelosi says more jobs created in Obama's first year than eight years of George W. Bush

Share this story:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi resurrected a talking point about job growth under President Barack Obama in a Bloomberg television interview. We checked her math.

During a May 16, 2011, interview with Bloomberg television, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., praised President Barack Obama’s record on jobs while taking a shot at former President George W. Bush.

"We got in this situation where we had tax cuts for the wealthiest people in our country, which did not create jobs," she said. "In the first year of the Obama administration, more jobs were created in the private-sector than in the eight years of the Bush administration, with all of the tax cuts that President Bush had."

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the economy shed almost 4.2 million private-sector jobs during the first year of the Obama administration -- January 2009 through January 2010.

Meanwhile, during eight years under Bush, the economy gained a net 188,000 private sector jobs.

So while job growth under Bush was anemic by historical standards, it was still better than the 4.2 million jobs lost under Obama. That means Pelosi was wrong.

A Pelosi spokesman, Nadeam Elshami, told PolitiFact that Pelosi simply misstated a talking point that she’d used many times before. In one variation provided by her office, Pelosi sent out a news release that said in part, "America has had 12 consecutive months of private-sector job gains totaling 1.5 million. That is more private-sector jobs than were added in the eight years of the Bush Administration."

But when we checked a similar incarnation of this talking point, we only gave it a Half True -- technically correct, but misleading due to cherry picking.

Pelosi was right that the economy created 847,000 jobs during the period she indicated. But she would have been incorrect if she’d cited total employment rather than private-sector employment. And she chose her starting and ending dates in a way that was highly favorable to Obama and unfavorable to Bush. Pelosi essentially started counting from the low point for jobs and only counted the upward part of the trendline, while denying Bush the same method.

This time, in talking to Bloomberg TV, Pelosi didn’t even get the statistic technically correct. So we rate it False.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:13 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
When Obama said unemployment wouldn't reach 8% if we passed the stimulus, I didn't know he meant that we would stay above that number. I guess I misunderstood.
Obama lied and cronies got paid.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:18 AM

13,621 posts, read 12,735,309 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
No need to be scared, things will be fine.. we'll just limp along until the government gets their act together and stops hindering the private sector..

thats not what the doctor said?? the doc said after limping for four or five years all limbs will have to be amputated..

when has the gov ever got their act together???

people must face the facts, high energy cost and high unemployment is the new norm, but thats just the tip of a very large ice berg of the things to come...

Old 06-03-2011, 09:19 AM

3,504 posts, read 3,925,040 times
you cant fix something that has already been decided.

we have been on this course for 20 years now.

whats done is done.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:20 AM

589 posts, read 376,808 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
Lets compare numbers...huum, seesm it is so important to pick time horizons.....why dont'we look at something on a yearly basis..I would bet a better indicator, such as unemployment each yr would tell us more about the Economy, peoples QOL, etc. than job growth..since surely it is easy to stack the deck depending on a starting point...as illustrated below...

PolitiFact | Nancy Pelosi says more jobs created in Obama's first year than eight years of George W. Bush

The Truth-O-Meter Says:
"In the first year of the Obama administration, more jobs were created in the private sector than in the eight years of the Bush administration."

Nancy Pelosi on Monday, May 16th, 2011 in an interview with Bloomberg television

Nancy Pelosi says more jobs created in Obama's first year than eight years of George W. Bush

Share this story:

House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi resurrected a talking point about job growth under President Barack Obama in a Bloomberg television interview. We checked her math.

During a May 16, 2011, interview with Bloomberg television, House Minority Leader Nancy Pelosi, D-Calif., praised President Barack Obama’s record on jobs while taking a shot at former President George W. Bush.

"We got in this situation where we had tax cuts for the wealthiest people in our country, which did not create jobs," she said. "In the first year of the Obama administration, more jobs were created in the private-sector than in the eight years of the Bush administration, with all of the tax cuts that President Bush had."

According to the Bureau of Labor Statistics, the economy shed almost 4.2 million private-sector jobs during the first year of the Obama administration -- January 2009 through January 2010.

Meanwhile, during eight years under Bush, the economy gained a net 188,000 private sector jobs.

So while job growth under Bush was anemic by historical standards, it was still better than the 4.2 million jobs lost under Obama. That means Pelosi was wrong.

A Pelosi spokesman, Nadeam Elshami, told PolitiFact that Pelosi simply misstated a talking point that she’d used many times before. In one variation provided by her office, Pelosi sent out a news release that said in part, "America has had 12 consecutive months of private-sector job gains totaling 1.5 million. That is more private-sector jobs than were added in the eight years of the Bush Administration."

But when we checked a similar incarnation of this talking point, we only gave it a Half True -- technically correct, but misleading due to cherry picking.

Pelosi was right that the economy created 847,000 jobs during the period she indicated. But she would have been incorrect if she’d cited total employment rather than private-sector employment. And she chose her starting and ending dates in a way that was highly favorable to Obama and unfavorable to Bush. Pelosi essentially started counting from the low point for jobs and only counted the upward part of the trendline, while denying Bush the same method.

This time, in talking to Bloomberg TV, Pelosi didn’t even get the statistic technically correct. So we rate it False.

Old 06-03-2011, 09:21 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pghquest View Post
So you think a speech, created the mortgage bubble? Wow, that Bush, he sure was powerful..
Overly simplistic way of looking at reality, or perhaps the defense. This wasn't just a mortgage issue, it was a credit lending issue that had mortgage problem all over it. Here's a clue: 1929, 1988, 2007.

In speeches, Bush was found regularly celebrating interest rate cuts, and how it would boost the economy. But trust me, it wasn't speeches that brought the economy down. A major part of the problem was those interest rate cuts to prop up the economy. Never mind the grand idea the administration came up with, allowing some of the largest financial institutions (yes, they all collapsed) to leverage with well over 30:1 ratio. Now tell me, who was supporting it? Is it not insanity to support such ideas? Does it take only a genius to recognize a problem with relaxing such rules to allow banks to lend more than $30 for each dollar they show compared to $10-$12? When you allow banks to do that, what results do you expect?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:23 AM

31,767 posts, read 28,827,269 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rggr View Post
And Heritage Foundation had analyzed that with Bush tax cuts, the country would have paid off its debt by 2010. That with the policies the conservatives pushed for, the economy would be in GREAT shape, with balanced budget and all.

While at it, you should mention that too?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Secchamps98 View Post
I think Nancy Pelosi’s fault was that she assumed that it is only private sector job growth that should count whereas the conservatives would rather make sure the growth in government sector jobs should be included for bragging rights. And right along the lines is the title of this thread. It mentions 58K jobs added. Here is the reality, along the lines:

Private Sector Jobs Added in May 2011: 83K
Total Non Farm Jobs Added in May 2011: 58K
Based on the two numbers…
Government Jobs Removed in May 2011: 25K

And this, from people who complain about growth in government, that they are first in line to celebrate government sector job growth. Why am I not surprised?

Old 06-03-2011, 09:26 AM

12,481 posts, read 10,226,365 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Nafster View Post
This is horrible news.

The economy is entering into a new recession it appears.

I'm going to cut down on spending until things get better, I have no choice.
New recession or the old one that never rally ended despite all th Dem's praises to have UE at 9%. Most elections are about economics the Dems have another year to pray and sacrifice chickens to hope it turns around

Old 06-03-2011, 09:28 AM

45,233 posts, read 26,457,645 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by wjtwet View Post
New recession or the old one that never rally ended despite all th Dem's praises to have UE at 9%. Most elections are about economics the Dems have another year to pray and sacrifice chickens to hope it turns around
They'll continue to carpet bomb with lies and propoganda as evidenced on this thread.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies