Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-09-2011, 07:02 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by I Drink Water View Post
I am just finishing up the book and I can see how Hazlitt was an influence Ron Paul, Lew Rockwell, and many others. I can't believe that I have been studying economics for almost a decade and have just recently come across Hazlitt's works.

The book was written in 1946 and highlights a plethora of economic fallacies that are still being practiced and perpetuated by today's economists. It is a remarkable short and simple theoretical exposition which contains many economic truths.

I would rank it up there with Bastiat's The Law.
Yes. It's an excellent book
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-09-2011, 07:03 PM

910 posts, read 1,677,368 times
I have this book, I need to finish reading it this summer now that I'm out school.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:04 PM

8,802 posts, read 8,902,028 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by padcrasher View Post
Oh you can tell us that "more government" is not a recipe for success?

Well maybe you can explain why the highest standard of living country's governments are in some cases nearly 3X the size of the USA government, size for size, and they are doing just great?

In fact, ALL the countries ranked higher in standard of living than the USA have bigger governments, size for size.

2010 Human Development Index

Norway 0.876 ()
Australia 0.864 ()
Sweden 0.824 ( 6)
Netherlands 0.818 ( 3)
Germany 0.814 ( 5)
Switzerland 0.813 ( 7)
Ireland 0.813 ( 2)
Canada 0.812 ()
Iceland 0.811 ( 8)
Denmark 0.810 ( 9)
Finland 0.806 ( 5)
United States 0.799 ( 8)
Belgium 0.794 ( 5)
France 0.792 ()
Czech Republic 0.790 ( 13)
Austria 0.787 ( 9)
Spain 0.779 ( 3)
Luxembourg 0.775 ( 6)
Slovenia 0.771 ( 10)
Greece 0.768 ( 2)

And BTW the ONLY reason we make the top twenty is due to our abundance of natural resources on a per capita basis..the majority of the other countries use brain power.
But these governments are far less corrupt and their societies much more homogenous. You have no causal evidence to support your claim, none at all.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:05 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Oh you can tell us that "more government" is not a recipe for success?

Well maybe you can explain why the highest standard of living country's governments are in some cases nearly 3X the size of the USA government, size for size, and they are doing just great?

In fact, ALL the countries ranked higher in standard of living than the USA have bigger governments, size for size.

2010 Human Development Index

Norway 0.876 ()
Australia 0.864 ()
Sweden 0.824 ( 6)
Netherlands 0.818 ( 3)
Germany 0.814 ( 5)
Switzerland 0.813 ( 7)
Ireland 0.813 ( 2)
Canada 0.812 ()
Iceland 0.811 ( 8)
Denmark 0.810 ( 9)
Finland 0.806 ( 5)
United States 0.799 ( 8)
Belgium 0.794 ( 5)
France 0.792 ()
Czech Republic 0.790 ( 13)
Austria 0.787 ( 9)
Spain 0.779 ( 3)
Luxembourg 0.775 ( 6)
Slovenia 0.771 ( 10)
Greece 0.768 ( 2)

And BTW the ONLY reason we make the top twenty is due to our abundance of natural resources on a per capita basis..the majority of the other countries use brain power.
So why do the Heritage Foundation and Cato Institute consider Canada, Australia, and Ireland to be more free market capitalist than the others?

The Canadian and Australian economies are more based on natural resources than the US economy.

FWIW NONE of those governments are anywhere near as big as the US, even the continental European social democracies. None of those countries have military fighting wars around the world on the level that the US does (although many are allies of the US in its current wars). The only other nation on that list able to project military power outside its region is France, and French military power is nowhere near what US military power is. The US defense budget is bigger than that of all other nations combined.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 PM

541 posts, read 1,903,060 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by VTHokieFan View Post
But these governments are far less corrupt and their societies much more homogenous. You have no causal evidence to support your claim, none at all.

It also ignores vast differences in populations between them and the US. I believe the US is the only country in that list above 100 million in population.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:07 PM

355 posts, read 209,659 times
Quote:
I'd suggest learning about the arguments of all sides today.
No, you don't. In case you need to be reminded, you came into this thread full force, filled with ignorance and attacking Hazlitt in which you had no knowledge of.

Your appeal to learn the arguments from all sides is most laughable and hypocritical.

Quote:
And stop going back to this heterodox economic theories dismissed and discredited Decades ago.
Mainstream economics break down. Neoclassical economics do no properly explain reality, but that doesn't stop fools and myopic economists from heralding and perpetuating faulty models.

I remember my macroeconomics professor jumping out of his chair two years, heralding that we are back at the steady state regarding that artificial growth of the stimulus bill.

My other macroeconomics teacher claimed that artificially low interest rates had nothing to do with creating bubbles and distorting the market, but when Greenspan changed his mind, so did she. It was most disturbing to see higher education resort to a hierarchy that is found in priesthood.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 PM

17,440 posts, read 28,613,721 times
Quote:
Greek government is far less corrupt than US government? Been reading the news at all lately?

The percentage of immigrants in Canada is even larger than that of the US and Canada has two "majority-minority" big cities (Vancouver and, barely, Toronto - Montreal is also an extremely diverse city). French cities are pretty diverse.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:08 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
And that's your argument? Do the opposite of what the least corrupt, highest standard of living people do with few natural resources????

I think it's very reasonable we might not see those exact results for some of the reasons mentioned here.

Doesn't mean we should do the opposite of what they do.

Old 06-09-2011, 07:10 PM

5,915 posts, read 4,815,101 times
Quote:
I'd suggest learning about the arguments of all sides today.

And stop going back to this heterodox economic theories dismissed and discredited Decades ago.
What sides? Which side are you on?

Old 06-09-2011, 07:13 PM

13,186 posts, read 14,984,135 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by majoun View Post
So why do the Heritage Foundation and Cato Institute consider Canada, Australia, and Ireland to be more free market capitalist than the others?

The Canadian and Australian economies are more based on natural resources than the US economy.

FWIW NONE of those governments are anywhere near as big as the US, even the continental European social democracies. None of those countries have military fighting wars around the world on the level that the US does (although many are allies of the US in its current wars). The only other nation on that list able to project military power outside its region is France, and French military power is nowhere near what US military power is. The US defense budget is bigger than that of all other nations combined.
Why does the Heritage organization come up with a arbitrary right wing formula equating taxing elites in a country to making it less free?

Gosh. I can only wonder.

You do know "high taxes" is never able to make it out of the "other" column in a list of national priorities important to Americans?

It's just right wing propaganda that Americans are concerned about "high taxes"
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies