Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-10-2011, 11:35 PM

19,893 posts, read 18,444,477 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I work in the customer service industry.
But doing what, working with customers is a broad term, that can mean just about anything. Have you thought of finding a different job, i know things are tough right now, have you looked.

My daughter works with customers while going to college, at a elite department store. Believe me she says some customers are a pain in the and just as rude,, she tells me she is extra nice to them, this actually catches them off guard.

All different nationalities come into the store, and one race is no better then the next in her opinion, rude people and racist people come in all races. I feel for you i really do, maybe try a different approach. But overall, she has some fantastic really great customers. Infact one lady loves her so much, bought her a $50.00 MACY'S gift card, just because my daughter was so nice to her. That has actually happened a couple of times. Be super nice and see what happens.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-10-2011, 11:37 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
No, I am trained to deal with difficult customers so that's not the issue. What I'm talking about is more of a sinister problem where certain customers intentionally avoid coming up to my counter because they see that I'm black. It seems like they automatically assume that I'm not qualified enough to process them due to my race. On the other hand, they quickly go to my co-worker next to me who happens to be white.

Nothing wrong with that, I do it all the time. It is not meant as a slight, some whites prefer to deal with their own kind. I mean, it is just human nature, you identify more closely with your own.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:54 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,565,689 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Nothing wrong with that, I do it all the time. It is not meant as a slight, some whites prefer to deal with their own kind. I mean, it is just human nature, you identify more closely with your own.
At least you're honest. However if you were the person on the other end, you will see things from a whole new angle. There are some things in life that you just have to experience to understand.

Old 06-10-2011, 11:55 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
[quote=NewYorkGuy;19539862]I work in the customer service industry.[/QUOTE

phone? in person? selling what?
What do you sound like? If you're someone that says, "let me axe my supervisor", don;t come crying. I cringe when I hear ppl say that or "we don't have no more of that" instead of "any more".

But really, give us more details.

I've read some more of your posts. Whatever happened to the customers going to the shortest line available? If you really want those customers to come in your line, why don't you just say, "I can take you over here mam (or sir).". How could they refuse that offer? I've avoided lines where the clerks appeared "foreign" (Engl as second language or hijab wearing) or excessive unattractive tattoos/nose rings. But not because of race. You should strive to be the best that you can be. If the customer has prejudged you, they will be won over with your knowledge, professionalism and of course your smile . This works.

Last edited by wehotex; 06-11-2011 at 12:06 AM..

Old 06-10-2011, 11:56 PM

38,642 posts, read 26,378,527 times
Quote:
No, I am trained to deal with difficult customers so that's not the issue. What I'm talking about is more of a sinister problem where certain customers intentionally avoid coming up to my counter because they see that I'm black. It seems like they automatically assume that I'm not qualified enough to process them due to my race. On the other hand, they quickly go to my co-worker next to me who happens to be white.

Slow down NYG! That's a really big assumption on your part, and perhaps a self-serving one as well.

Let me take you on a trip to the world of white people.

White people are constantly blamed for things they have never done by people they have never met. It's all part of being white and usually unavoidable.

Call it "the white tax".

I can tell you from personal experience that paying the white tax gets real old real fast.

The problem for white people is we don't sue individuals and organizations for discriminating against us due to our race. That means, unlike black people who have any number of well-funded organizations at the ready to bring legal action against whites for alleged discrimination, whites with no legal protections are no threat to do the same.

A white person in conflict with a black person always stands at a legal disadvantage because we are not a protected class and as such have inferior rights. An employer will side with a black employee simply to avoid costly litigation a black employee can bring but a white employee cannot. The same applies to a customer service situation where the prospect of a black employee throwing the race card when faced with a difficult situation is enough to make white customers avoid the situation by avoiding the potential thrower of the race card.

I would avoid you like the plague because I cannot separate my interaction with you from the blame game that has been played on whites ever since liberals decided to make some people more equal than others.

In all your crying about being a victim of white racism, have you ever tried to place yourself in the shoes of a white person going through life forever guilty of race crimes committed by others against people he or she has never met?

Old 06-10-2011, 11:59 PM

22,661 posts, read 24,599,374 times
Quote:
At least you're honest. However if you were the person on the other end, you will see things from a whole new angle. There are some things in life that you just have to experience to understand.

Why should it be a problem, most everyone knows that the majority of people prefer to be around their own race....big deal. Maybe you are just taking it the wrong way.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:14 AM

[quote=wehotex;19541154]
Quote:
I work in the customer service industry.[/QUOTE

phone? in person? selling what?
What do you sound like? If you're someone that says, "let me axe my supervisor", don;t come crying. I cringe when I hear ppl say that or "we don't have no more of that" instead of "any more".

But really, give us more details.
Please don't bother with your stereotypes. I work for an airline at the ticket counter. I speak very well and is one of the smartest guys you will ever meet. I also have a neat and decent appearance. It's obvious when someone is discriminating against you because of your race. If it happens to you, you will know it.

There are certain people out there who simply have preconceived ideas in their heads about certain racial groups. No matter how good you are, they will just paint you with the same brush just because of who you are. Many black professionals have recounted similar experiences.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:17 AM

7,284 posts, read 12,926,647 times
Quote:
You know that feeling you get in your stomach when you know you have to go back to work the next day? That's how I feel right now... but it's not because my job sucks and I hate going to work. I feel this way because I know that at my job, it's likely that I will be subjected to racial discrimination - not from my employer or the people who I work with - but from the customers who I have to serve.

It's a dynamic that I didn't plan for when I got this job but it now affects almost all aspects of my work-life. I won't go into too much details about this as I touched on many of the things that I experienced in an earlier thread that I wrote. Suffice it say that it's an added burden that I have to bear as I try to fulfill my potential on the job. Sometimes I think about quitting my job just because of this but I love this field of work and don't want to give it up; and with the economy like this it would be almost impossible to survive.

My question is: despite having an African American President, why does race continue to play such an overarching role in American society? I mean just look on the threads in this forum and at least 80% of them have something to do with race or race relations in America. When will race become a non-issue in America? Every time I think we've made some progress on the issue, I see something or hear something that brings me back down to earth.

I can't continue to live in a society like this. I've made up my mind that I'm moving to Canada when I get the chance. I know everything is not perfect there but at least they are not fixated on race like America is and they don't have to contend with the legacy of slavery.
I am sorry you feel so targeted, discriminated against or what-have-you. I can't imagine what kind of job you have where the customers are allowed to make racial slurs to you - what kind of work do you do?

Otherwise, do you tend to have good self-esteem? It sounds a little bit like you might take on a victim role. Why don't you try another job?

Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 AM

11,431 posts, read 19,000,893 times
[quote=NewYorkGuy;19541249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Please don't bother with your stereotypes. I work for an airline at the ticket counter. I speak very well and is one of the smartest guys you will ever meet. I also have a neat and decent appearance. It's obvious when someone is discriminating against you because of your race. If it happens to you, you will know it.

There are certain people out there who simply have preconceived ideas in their heads about certain racial groups. No matter how good you are, they will just paint you with the same brush just because of who you are. Many black professionals have recounted similar experiences.
That may be true, but I've never discriminated on race when I'm in a line except for what I said about physical tackiness or english as second language status. Congrats on your professionalism and smarts.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Why should it be a problem, most everyone knows that the majority of people prefer to be around their own race....big deal. Maybe you are just taking it the wrong way.
I don't think it's as simple as that. There are also Hispanic agents who I work with and I don't see them getting the same discriminatory treatment. What gives?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies