Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 01:51 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,547,829 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
It's not that they make racial slurs to me. It's a more subtle kind of discrimination where certain customers would rather hold up the line to be served by a white or another non-black agent. It's not an isolated incident or anything. It's something that I see everyday on the job.

LOL, I once hesitated for a few seconds to wait on a group of black women and they complained to the manager that I was racist. NO, I was just butt tired and it would not have made a dif if you were as white as driven snow, my feet hurt.

Work in fast food for a week and see how dog tired you can get. I also had white people who got mad if I did not jump to their attention when they came in but get over yourselves. It's hard work to stand all day on your feet and wait on people.

I at least know what service people go through now and I give them the benefit of the doubt if they don't hop to when I enter the store.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 01:59 PM

17,468 posts, read 12,965,968 times
For some reason when reading through this...........it's more like another "Hate The White Man Thread".
This thread is ridiculous!!

Old 06-11-2011, 03:07 PM

33,387 posts, read 34,916,312 times
there are many of us that try to ignore race, and see the person for who they are. unfortunately there are those that try equally hard, or harder, to constantly inject race into society. for instance i am constantly called a racist by the liberals and progressives on this, and other, political boards because i refuse to support the political ideaology of the current president, and yet they wont even back down when i tell them i didnt support clinton or carter either. to them i am still racist. the problem though isnt me, its them. i dont argue race, they do. id ont discriminate based on skin color, they do.

my advice, stand up and be the person you were born to be, and if someone tries to knock you down based on your race, just recognize that they are the ones that are feeling inferior, and need to try to take you down a notch.

having worked in the hospitality industry for 25 years i can sympathize with your position, but if you move away the racists win.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:16 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,568,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
If people are avoiding coming to your counter, it isn't because of your color, it is your attitude... The problem is yours, not the customer.
Are you really that clueless? I wish things were as simple as you think they are... we wouldn't even be having this discussion. No matter how good your personality is, some people will just never accept you for who you are. That's a simple fact of life. If you've never been discriminated against count yourself lucky but you have nothing to gain going around patronizing people who are voicing their legitimate concerns.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:40 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,547,829 times
BUT if you never recognize some people are very sensitive and we all know people like that, than you will be stuck. If you never recognize white people have hard nosed people on jobs that they need to put up with, than you will be stuck. Why not stop looking at each incident through race glasses and ask yourself if it would be the same if you were white.

Do black people have a hard time with your attitude? Do people without any agenda toward your race have a hard time dealing with you? The black woman I worked with would have bad people skills even if she had been white. It's just that way, so why not judge others the way you want them to judge you?

Old 06-11-2011, 04:47 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,585,720 times
Quote:
Are you really that clueless? I wish things were as simple as you think they are... we wouldn't even be having this discussion. No matter how good your personality is, some people will just never accept you for who you are. That's a simple fact of life. If you've never been discriminated against count yourself lucky but you have nothing to gain going around patronizing people who are voicing their legitimate concerns.
Customer service, means you are there to serve them, they are not there to serve you. First rule of thumb, the customer is always right!

Old 06-11-2011, 05:12 PM

9,855 posts, read 10,430,369 times
My co-workers who don't speak Spanish have the same feeling but they know that the issue is with the customer and that they should not take it personally. If your customer is a racist that is his/her problem. You can't take it personally. If some of our customers hate people who don't speak spanish they hate all people who don't speak spanish. Doesn't matter who the individual might be. It is the same with people who are racist. They will dislike you no matter what. It is not your shortcoming.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:19 PM

22,679 posts, read 24,673,472 times
Quote:
I don't think it's as simple as that. There are also Hispanic agents who I work with and I don't see them getting the same discriminatory treatment. What gives?
Well, I cherish the diversity of all peoples.

But since you ask, I will give my honest answer. In my opinion most (no, not all) blacks and whites distrust and dislike each other.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:29 PM

12,770 posts, read 11,585,720 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by tickyul View Post
Well, I cherish the diversity of all peoples.

But since you ask, I will give my honest answer. In my opinion most (no, not all) blacks and whites distrust and dislike each other.
I disagree heartily. It's the pack mentality, identification with skin color, rather than self-worth as an individual, that makes the difference. Just as people want to self-identify as Latino first and foremost. It tells me they are insecure in their own skin, and choose something greater than themselves to give their lives meaning.

Old 06-11-2011, 05:32 PM

11,431 posts, read 19,029,166 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by pommysmommy View Post
My co-workers who don't speak Spanish have the same feeling but they know that the issue is with the customer and that they should not take it personally. If your customer is a racist that is his/her problem. You can't take it personally. If some of our customers hate people who don't speak spanish they hate all people who don't speak spanish. Doesn't matter who the individual might be. It is the same with people who are racist. They will dislike you no matter what. It is not your shortcoming.
some of the customers hate the employees for not speaking Spanish?
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies