Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 08:05 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,567,769 times

Advertisements

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
If it seems distorted to you it's only because you have never been white. It has never been perfectly legal for other races to be given preferential treatment over you. You have never interacted with another race which has legal rights you do not.

It's not what you have done or would do. This is about how what you could do impacts others who don't share your special legal status.
Oh I see. So you are one of those people who believe that segregation was good and that whites should have the right to discriminate against blacks if they want. Also your attempt at portraying whites as an oppressed group in America with no rights is laughable at best.
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 08:18 AM

24,832 posts, read 37,382,019 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
Oh I see. So you are one of those people who believe that segregation was good and that whites should have the right to discriminate against blacks if they want. Also your attempt at portraying whites as an oppressed group in America with no rights is laughable at best.
Oh, good grief.....

I went though a two year apprenticeship program to get my drilling licence and work in an all male industry.

I have heard every boob joke.....and other female jokes.

I made it and run them out of business.

Grow up.

Old 06-11-2011, 09:19 AM

232 posts, read 221,556 times
Wow. Whining on a public forum is not going to solve anything.

Grow thicker skin.

Get a new job.

Move.

Be happy you have a job.

Go away.

Old 06-11-2011, 11:59 AM

7,474 posts, read 22,898,486 times
I just don't believe there is that much racism in America. I've never seen it, I've never been exposed to it, I think those who believe it exiosts must be promotijg it.
What job could you possible have that confronts youi with all of this racism. I have to believe it is imagined...
I have worked in the CS industry my whole career, and have dealt with every color of person and don't remember any racism.. I believe if you want to see racism, you wll see it, doesn't matter if it really exists or not.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:02 PM

7,474 posts, read 22,898,486 times
Quote:
No, I am trained to deal with difficult customers so that's not the issue. What I'm talking about is more of a sinister problem where certain customers intentionally avoid coming up to my counter because they see that I'm black. It seems like they automatically assume that I'm not qualified enough to process them due to my race. On the other hand, they quickly go to my co-worker next to me who happens to be white.
If people are avoiding coming to your counter, it isn't because of your color, it is your attitude... The problem is yours, not the customer.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:30 PM

19,859 posts, read 12,139,830 times
How is this thread P&OC? Maybe it should be moved to the Relationships or Employment forums?

Old 06-11-2011, 01:11 PM

1,604 posts, read 1,567,769 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by Donn2390 View Post
I just don't believe there is that much racism in America. I've never seen it, I've never been exposed to it, I think those who believe it exiosts must be promotijg it.
What job could you possible have that confronts youi with all of this racism. I have to believe it is imagined...
I have worked in the CS industry my whole career, and have dealt with every color of person and don't remember any racism.. I believe if you want to see racism, you wll see it, doesn't matter if it really exists or not.
He who feels it knows it. If you've never been a target of racial discrimination it's logical that you will think it doesn't exist. It's a sensitive issue that people prefer to avoid but its presence and continued prevalence in America cannot be denied.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:25 PM

38,648 posts, read 26,421,050 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by TheDirector View Post
So people walk up to your customer service counter and randomly yell slurs at you?

Hell if the pay was good id do it.
Quote:
No, I am trained to deal with difficult customers so that's not the issue. What I'm talking about is more of a sinister problem where certain customers intentionally avoid coming up to my counter because they see that I'm black. It seems like they automatically assume that I'm not qualified enough to process them due to my race. On the other hand, they quickly go to my co-worker next to me who happens to be white.
Quote:
Slow down NYG! That's a really big assumption on your part, and perhaps a self-serving one as well.

Let me take you on a trip to the world of white people.

White people are constantly blamed for things they have never done by people they have never met. It's all part of being white and usually unavoidable.

Call it "the white tax".

I can tell you from personal experience that paying the white tax gets real old real fast.

The problem for white people is we don't sue individuals and organizations for discriminating against us due to our race. That means, unlike black people who have any number of well-funded organizations at the ready to bring legal action against whites for alleged discrimination, whites with no legal protections are no threat to do the same.

A white person in conflict with a black person always stands at a legal disadvantage because we are not a protected class and as such have inferior rights. An employer will side with a black employee simply to avoid costly litigation a black employee can bring but a white employee cannot. The same applies to a customer service situation where the prospect of a black employee throwing the race card when faced with a difficult situation is enough to make white customers avoid the situation by avoiding the potential thrower of the race card.

I would avoid you like the plague because I cannot separate my interaction with you from the blame game that has been played on whites ever since liberals decided to make some people more equal than others.

In all your crying about being a victim of white racism, have you ever tried to place yourself in the shoes of a white person going through life forever guilty of race crimes committed by others against people he or she has never met?
Quote:
This has to be the most distorted logic I've ever read from anyone on this board. I am not one of those people going around looking to play the race card at the drop of a hat. I try to be nice and respectful to everyone who I deal with all the time. I get compliments and good feedback from the customers who I deal with all the time.

The problem is there are some people who simply pre-judge me because of who I am without even meeting me. I didn't go out there looking for this. I am simply doing my job and trying to provide the best customer service possible. Also I did not have this issue before until I started working in this particular town.
Quote:
If it seems distorted to you it's only because you have never been white. It has never been perfectly legal for other races to be given preferential treatment over you. You have never interacted with another race which has legal rights you do not.

It's not what you have done or would do. This is about how what you could do impacts others who don't share your special legal status.
Quote:

Now I'm a segregationist because I don't want to carry your race baggage?

I've explained very clearly why many white people avoid contact with black people when possible, but you don't like the answer. Now we see the straw man and the race card.

Go ahead, list all the things I wrote which are not true...

Old 06-11-2011, 01:39 PM

24,832 posts, read 37,382,019 times
Quote:
He who feels it knows it. If you've never been a target of racial discrimination it's logical that you will think it doesn't exist. It's a sensitive issue that people prefer to avoid but its presence and continued prevalence in America cannot be denied.
So????

Life aint a bowl of cherries.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:42 PM

23,654 posts, read 17,536,914 times
I only worked for a short time in fast food service but I found some (not all) of the black people I worked with to be quite sensitive. One girl said when customers came in they would not order if she came to the counter to wait on them, they would wait until a white person came out to order from them. Really? Most people do not order until they can make up their mind after reading the menu board for 30 seconds or more.

Also, this same girl complained when a white woman got a promotion in management over a black women but if anything went wrong she said she would never talk to the black woman about a problem. The truth is the black woman was horrible with people skills and NO ONE wanted to take a problem to her. How could she be the leader in the management team?

It's easy to find blame on race when one is having a problem at work but people should stand back and see just what it is about a person that makes them have a problem. Too bad we can't all go to work in a camouflage suit that hides our race and gender, then problems would only be blamed on our work abilities.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply
Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies