Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Reply Start New Thread

Old 06-11-2011, 12:20 AM

1,027 posts, read 826,341 times

Advertisements

[quote=NewYorkGuy;19541249]
Quote:
Originally Posted by wehotex View Post

Please don't bother with your stereotypes. I work for an airline at the ticket counter. I speak very well and is one of the smartest guys you will ever meet. I also have a neat and decent appearance. It's obvious when someone is discriminating against you because of your race. If it happens to you, you will know it.

There are certain people out there who simply have preconceived ideas in their heads about certain racial groups. No matter how good you are, they will just paint you with the same brush just because of who you are. Many black professionals have recounted similar experiences.

Well all you have to do is look at Obama and see people asking about his Birth Certificate.

So no matter HOW high you rise you still gotta deal with people that don't accept you and that's not gonna change anywhere you go.

Plus this is all in your head these people aren't denying you a job or holding you back in anyway...they just choose not to deal with you which is their right.

I choose not to deal with any hipster looking people when I go to the Apple store for example...
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-11-2011, 12:26 AM

1,604 posts, read 1,568,429 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by imcurious View Post
I am sorry you feel so targeted, discriminated against or what-have-you. I can't imagine what kind of job you have where the customers are allowed to make racial slurs to you - what kind of work do you do?

Otherwise, do you tend to have good self-esteem? It sounds a little bit like you might take on a victim role. Why don't you try another job?
It's not that they make racial slurs to me. It's a more subtle kind of discrimination where certain customers would rather hold up the line to be served by a white or another non-black agent. It's not an isolated incident or anything. It's something that I see everyday on the job.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 AM

9,879 posts, read 8,034,249 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorkGuy View Post
I work in the customer service industry.
If you work in the customer service industry - that is kinda
vague - that could run the gamet. With that said - you do know there are a lot of *******s out there And, unfortunately you will find the same thing in Canada. Hell, if you live in Toronto, I'm not going to tell you what they say about the French in Quebec, and vice versa

Ask yourself, what do you love about your job and focus on that. And the reality is, there are really very few people that "love" their job. That's kind of a myth thrown out there for you to get through life

I've always said I wish I had invented the pet rock and
lived rich in Anonymity. Anything short of that, well, it
just plain sucks

Last edited by pollyrobin; 06-11-2011 at 01:01 AM..

Old 06-11-2011, 12:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by momonkey View Post
Slow down NYG! That's a really big assumption on your part, and perhaps a self-serving one as well.

Let me take you on a trip to the world of white people.

White people are constantly blamed for things they have never done by people they have never met. It's all part of being white and usually unavoidable.

Call it "the white tax".

I can tell you from personal experience that paying the white tax gets real old real fast.

The problem for white people is we don't sue individuals and organizations for discriminating against us due to our race. That means, unlike black people who have any number of well-funded organizations at the ready to bring legal action against whites for alleged discrimination, whites with no legal protections are no threat to do the same.

A white person in conflict with a black person always stands at a legal disadvantage because we are not a protected class and as such have inferior rights. An employer will side with a black employee simply to avoid costly litigation a black employee can bring but a white employee cannot. The same applies to a customer service situation where the prospect of a black employee throwing the race card when faced with a difficult situation is enough to make white customers avoid the situation by avoiding the potential thrower of the race card.

I would avoid you like the plague because I cannot separate my interaction with you from the blame game that has been played on whites ever since liberals decided to make some people more equal than others.

In all your crying about being a victim of white racism, have you ever tried to place yourself in the shoes of a white person going through life forever guilty of race crimes committed by others against people he or she has never met?
This has to be the most distorted logic I've ever read from anyone on this board. I am not one of those people going around looking to play the race card at the drop of a hat. I try to be nice and respectful to everyone who I deal with all the time. I get compliments and good feedback from the customers who I deal with all the time.

The problem is there are some people who simply pre-judge me because of who I am without even meeting me. I didn't go out there looking for this. I am simply doing my job and trying to provide the best customer service possible. Also I did not have this issue before until I started working in this particular town.

Old 06-11-2011, 12:38 AM

[quote=TheDirector;19541279]
Quote:

Well all you have to do is look at Obama and see people asking about his Birth Certificate.

So no matter HOW high you rise you still gotta deal with people that don't accept you and that's not gonna change anywhere you go.

Plus this is all in your head these people aren't denying you a job or holding you back in anyway...they just choose not to deal with you which is their right.

I choose not to deal with any hipster looking people when I go to the Apple store for example...
That's a good point. I can live with that. But what does that say about America on a whole? Especially the part about Obama which is so true.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:31 AM

37,158 posts, read 42,302,670 times
I don't know. When you work customer service you need to expect a certain amount of ***** from the general public. I was a CSR and as a cute white girl I couldn't stand it either.

You see the problems you want to see and I don't know why Canada would be any different.

Old 06-11-2011, 01:47 AM

38,649 posts, read 26,438,219 times
Quote:
This has to be the most distorted logic I've ever read from anyone on this board. I am not one of those people going around looking to play the race card at the drop of a hat. I try to be nice and respectful to everyone who I deal with all the time. I get compliments and good feedback from the customers who I deal with all the time.

The problem is there are some people who simply pre-judge me because of who I am without even meeting me. I didn't go out there looking for this. I am simply doing my job and trying to provide the best customer service possible. Also I did not have this issue before until I started working in this particular town.

If it seems distorted to you it's only because you have never been white. It has never been perfectly legal for other races to be given preferential treatment over you. You have never interacted with another race which has legal rights you do not.

It's not what you have done or would do. This is about how what you could do impacts others who don't share your special legal status.

Old 06-11-2011, 03:14 AM

20,169 posts, read 24,369,294 times
There were two black guys working as grocery checkers at the Safeway where I used to live. One of them was a wise-ass chiseler who made snide comments about the things I bought and either short-changed me or entered the wrong (usually higher) price for unscannable items like produce. The other guy was sharp as a knife, efficient, and no nonsense. He explained everything he did to the older people in his line and never lost his cool. I avoided the frist guy like the plague. If I went to the store early in the morning and he was the only checker, I just walked out.

Now a hypersensitive observer, like the OP, would think "racist!" after a cursory look at my behavior. But he'd be wrong. I wasn't racism that I was engaged in, it was avoiding a prick.

This kind of thing happens all the time in the real world. Some folks need to get outside themselves and spend some more time there.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:12 AM

6,193 posts, read 5,377,884 times
Quote:
You know that feeling you get in your stomach when you know you have to go back to work the next day? That's how I feel right now... but it's not because my job sucks and I hate going to work. I feel this way because I know that at my job, it's likely that I will be subjected to racial discrimination - not from my employer or the people who I work with - but from the customers who I have to serve.

It's a dynamic that I didn't plan for when I got this job but it now affects almost all aspects of my work-life. I won't go into too much details about this as I touched on many of the things that I experienced in an earlier thread that I wrote. Suffice it say that it's an added burden that I have to bear as I try to fulfill my potential on the job. Sometimes I think about quitting my job just because of this but I love this field of work and don't want to give it up; and with the economy like this it would be almost impossible to survive.

My question is: despite having an African American President, why does race continue to play such an overarching role in American society? I mean just look on the threads in this forum and at least 80% of them have something to do with race or race relations in America. When will race become a non-issue in America? Every time I think we've made some progress on the issue, I see something or hear something that brings me back down to earth.

I can't continue to live in a society like this. I've made up my mind that I'm moving to Canada when I get the chance. I know everything is not perfect there but at least they are not fixated on race like America is and they don't have to contend with the legacy of slavery.
Have you ever heard of a pendulum? That's how things currently operate. Notice a pendulum only swings two ways.

We should be using a compass to guide our way out of this mess.

A compass points the way while a pendulum only diverts you from the course.

Old 06-11-2011, 04:25 AM

1,495 posts, read 2,304,517 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by AeroGuyDC View Post
Sounds EXACTLY like what the perfect NEW YORK LIBERAL would spew. Are you also gay? Because this exactly the type of whining we've come to expect from homosexuals here in America.

Like another poster said....grow some balls. Man up. Get a life.

Better yet.......Take off. Adios. Don't want you. Don't need you. No matter what color you are. If you can't hold your own, then Canada is perfect for you. See ya.

As for me and mine, we love the USA and are proud to call it home.
lol wtf... this site sometimes...
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies