Welcome to City-Data.com Forum!
U.S. CitiesCity-Data Forum Index
Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies
 [Register]
Please register to participate in our discussions with 2 million other members - it's free and quick! Some forums can only be seen by registered members. After you create your account, you'll be able to customize options and access all our 15,000 new posts/day with fewer ads.
View detailed profile (Advanced) or search
site with Google Custom Search

Old 06-16-2011, 04:45 PM

1,251 posts, read 2,577,815 times

Advertisements

Bill Clinton destroyed the feminism movement
Reply With Quote Quick reply to this message

Old 06-16-2011, 04:57 PM

5,648 posts, read 8,058,246 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Which stupid religion....Christianity, or Feminism?
Feminism.

Old 06-16-2011, 04:59 PM

20,054 posts, read 18,285,820 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by desertdetroiter View Post
Which stupid religion....Christianity, or Feminism?
She's a Catholic liberal who swore off Obama since after '08 (ala Monsanto lobbyist hired in Obama cabinet) and dismissed the feminism religion.

Any more questions?

Old 06-16-2011, 05:20 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
A lot of marriages stayed together because women had no other options to support themselves.

Now that they do, it's harder to stay married to some jerk that treats you like Mom 2.0.

So, yeah...I think the liberation of women (or even feminism) has wrecked marriage in the sense that the master-servant role has been eradicated.

For some reason, being thought of and being treated as equals is still a pretty far fetched dream for many women...so they leave their relationships.
Excellent post and oh so true! At least now, women do have a choice of whether or not they have to stay with a jerk or starve. As you pointed out...being treated like an equal is an entirely different matter and is still a pretty far-fetched dream for many women. Far too many men still see many tasks as "women's work". To be fair though, there are a whole lot of women out there who still see many tasks as "men's work" too! Many a time I've heard the question, "Why do YOU have to fix that? Your HUSBAND should be doing that for you." My response? "Why is that? I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself. In fact, I LIKE doing it. I'd be embarrassed to ask my husband to do something so simple for me!"

Old 06-16-2011, 05:29 PM

22,768 posts, read 30,737,789 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by MIKEETC View Post
My Mom is a feminist Mom although she probably wouldn't call herself that. She raised my brother and I after our Dad left us when we were kids. We came out all right. It takes a strong, wise, smart, and independent woman to pull that off. If it were not for feminism, then we would have been left hoping that Daddy would come back.

[F that. He can keep walking]
i think you're right that personal experience is key in this whole discussion. everyone speaks from personal experience, and none of us share the same experiences.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:34 PM

44,259 posts, read 64,375,553 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by beachmel View Post
Excellent post and oh so true! At least now, women do have a choice of whether or not they have to stay with a jerk or starve. As you pointed out...being treated like an equal is an entirely different matter and is still a pretty far-fetched dream for many women. Far too many men still see many tasks as "women's work". To be fair though, there are a whole lot of women out there who still see many tasks as "men's work" too! Many a time I've heard the question, "Why do YOU have to fix that? Your HUSBAND should be doing that for you." My response? "Why is that? I'm perfectly capable of doing it myself. In fact, I LIKE doing it. I'd be embarrassed to ask my husband to do something so simple for me!"
Yes. Women can't ask to be treated like equals and then turn into princesses when the tough work comes to the forefront.

To be honest, though, in my circle of friends, etc, there aren't very many jobs or chores that are really like that...most people have maids and yard services (or they are able to reach some compromise on that front)...and they all eat out A LOT (something I don't really think is a great idea, but if they can afford it and it keeps their marriage intact, who am I to say anything?).

Our generation (current parents of young kids) needs to teach our sons there's no such thing as 'women's work' and teach our daughters everything we teach our sons...then maybe their generation will have a chance to have truly equal, respectful relationships.

I swear to god, it's effin' 2011 and Thanksgiving is still females in the kitchen and men goofing off watching football (or setting turkeys on fire outside in some kooky bbq contraption).

Old 06-16-2011, 05:35 PM

499 posts, read 405,274 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post
She's a Catholic liberal who swore off Obama since after '08 (ala Monsanto lobbyist hired in Obama cabinet) and dismissed the feminism religion.

Any more questions?
Feminism isn't a religion, it's a social movement.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:48 PM

6,137 posts, read 4,862,292 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by stan4 View Post
I swear to god, it's effin' 2011 and Thanksgiving is still females in the kitchen and men goofing off watching football (or setting turkeys on fire outside in some kooky bbq contraption).
What's wrong with this though? Men and women will always be different. I think it's great. Guys like sports and bbq contraptions, always have and always will.

And before you say that I only like it because the women are working, I will add that I also think it's great when the man works 12 hour days just to provide the little extras for the woman.

Old 06-16-2011, 05:57 PM

56,988 posts, read 35,206,841 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by summers73 View Post

Any more questions?
Lulz...no Summers, no more questions.

Old 06-16-2011, 06:36 PM

8,003 posts, read 11,725,989 times
Quote:
Originally Posted by SamBarrow View Post
What's wrong with this though? Men and women will always be different. I think it's great. Guys like sports and bbq contraptions, always have and always will.

And before you say that I only like it because the women are working, I will add that I also think it's great when the man works 12 hour days just to provide the little extras for the woman.
Yeah, if only it was just the SAH women, who have husbands working 12 hrs per day to provide the "extras" who are spending 12 hrs in the kitchen, for someone who is sitting in front of the tv. Hey, I admit, I put a whole lot more into T-day than a lot of women, and I don't mind admitting that I can get a little irate when my man doesn't even ask if there's anything he can do. One year, (many ago), we got into it on T morning. He was being a j-e-r-k...and I said, "You know WHAT? I'm outta here. You want Thankgiving dinner, YOU make it!" Hey...he did! I stayed gone until it was done, too. LOL

He helped me for a couple of years (a bit) after that...but then I got smart and started doing much of it ahead of time. By the time T day gets here, I've only got about 2 hrs of work to do in the kitchen. Older and wiser.
Please register to post and access all features of our very popular forum. It is free and quick. Over $68,000 in prizes has already been given out to active posters on our forum. Additional giveaways are planned.

Detailed information about all U.S. cities, counties, and zip codes on our site: City-data.com.

Please update this thread with any new information or opinions. This open thread is still read by thousands of people, so we encourage all additional points of view.

Quick Reply

Over $104,000 in prizes was already given out to active posters on our forum and additional giveaways are planned!

Go Back   City-Data Forum > General Forums > Politics and Other Controversies